SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] RIP Rovers Official Message board

pk1875

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 02/03/2017 at 2:31 AM, Psychosoma said:

Well, I've joined up here on PK's recommendation since the club have managed to wreck the official boards just like everything else they manage to touch.

A couple of mentions above which was nice to see, so thank you! Hopefully the conversation on here is more regular than over there towards the end.

Such a shame really, Ive made a lot of real life friends through those boards, the away day trips I had 2006/2007/2008 and over to Europe are some of the best times I've had, so I'm thankful for them for that, but I dont buy for one second that its changing habits for people stop going there.

For me it is a mix of overmoderation, a poisonous atmosphere during Keans time and general malaise towards the club in general that killed it. Add to that the fact the club never promoted the board and its no suprise it became a haunt of a core group of regulars often talking to themselves. That it ends so unceremoniously, and only noted because PK managed to get a reply from them (they didnt even bother to answer my email) just shows how much they could really give a crap.

Personally I HATE facebook as a tool for communicating with other fans, theres no way of getting good regular debate going and no easy way to build up relationships with other regular posters, even the ones you disagree with!

Anyway, glad to be here and I'll contribute when I can! Am I likely to get slaughtered if I post anything to defend Venkys in the future? LOL

Years ago i mentioned, that the official board would disappear completely. Not because fans were not posting much, but because the way it was run. You had to literally watch everything you did or say for fear of being banned. It was bloody fun times on there though. Still remember my poems lol 

On 02/03/2017 at 0:31 AM, Psychosoma said:

Well, I've joined up here on PK's recommendation since the club have managed to wreck the official boards just like everything else they manage to touch.

A couple of mentions above which was nice to see, so thank you! Hopefully the conversation on here is more regular than over there towards the end.

Such a shame really, Ive made a lot of real life friends through those boards, the away day trips I had 2006/2007/2008 and over to Europe are some of the best times I've had, so I'm thankful for them for that, but I dont buy for one second that its changing habits for people stop going there.

For me it is a mix of overmoderation, a poisonous atmosphere during Keans time and general malaise towards the club in general that killed it. Add to that the fact the club never promoted the board and its no suprise it became a haunt of a core group of regulars often talking to themselves. That it ends so unceremoniously, and only noted because PK managed to get a reply from them (they didnt even bother to answer my email) just shows how much they could really give a crap.

Personally I HATE facebook as a tool for communicating with other fans, theres no way of getting good regular debate going and no easy way to build up relationships with other regular posters, even the ones you disagree with!

Anyway, glad to be here and I'll contribute when I can! Am I likely to get slaughtered if I post anything to defend Venkys in the future? LOL

Interesting you didn't get a reply to your email. I got 3 replies from 3 people all saying the exact same thing. 

You probably won't remember me (domo) long time lurker infrequent poster but gutted to see the boards finally die

On 02/03/2017 at 10:57 PM, dave birch said:

They were funny times back then, invasions by school kids trying to be cool, lots of other fans coming on, some with abuse, others with a more mature approach.

Oi, I was one of those back in '98! Can't remember what my username was but I remember whenever a new post appeared, it was like goldust! The site heavily encouraged me to get into web development, which now earns me a nice little keep to survive in these crazy times.

There's also the small matter of my dad meeting his wife on BRFCS a year or so after I first joined. So this message board is a huge part of our family, all thanks to Groo!

6 minutes ago, Roving Mick said:

Was the Rovers official message board the one which was originally run by people at the University of Michigan?  Might be mixed up here, but I'm sure there was one which was around over 20 years ago.

Mick, you might be confusing it with the mailing list, that was run by a guy at the University of Indiana, whose name I cannot remember.

I was on there years ago but had to give it away due to the large number of emails I was receiving. Such was the Rovers popularity back then.

Archived