BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Watercarriers, sitters, 'soldiers' etc.. Hands up..

Just now, JayPeeBee40 said:

dont get me wrong, I'm not disrespecting the 60s at all, but things HAVE moved on..

For sure. Fitness levels today are much better but basic ball skills of UK players are no better.

Which is suprising given the modern players Academy upbringings.

Players today should be more tactically aware. They have to be with the complex and evolving systems they play.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

For sure. Fitness levels today are much better but basic ball skills of UK players are no better.

Which is suprising given the modern players Academy upbringings.

Players today should be more tactically aware. They have to be with the complex and evolving systems they play.

My opinion is just that. The game is all tactics in the modern day, keeping team shape is massively important. I'm not sure there was much, if any, emphasis on this in the 60's.

Anyway I'll shut up now and let others have their say on this surprisingly successful topic I've started! :)

1 hour ago, david brent said:

Chelsea have always had a 'sitter' the last 10-15 years and hasn't done them any harm. Kante, Essien and Makelele spring to mind.

Though I do see your point, I think you're doing a bit of a disservice to Essien there, was much more than just a sitter for me. Got up and down the pitch all day long, was a fantastic player for a few years.

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Batty was underrated as a footballer. A very good passer of a ball and a clever player.

He wasn't very complimentary about Rovers though in his book iirc

Yorkshire b'stard:D

A very good passer as long as it was sideways or backwards iirc!

5 hours ago, pjt said:

A very good passer as long as it was sideways or backwards iirc!

He had the gift of looking class when making a simple quickly released pass.

A lot more to his game than that  though.

He could put the foot in now and again !

He won England caps when they still meant something.

Grand lad, a favourite of mine.

7 hours ago, JayPeeBee40 said:

My opinion is just that. The game is all tactics in the modern day, keeping team shape is massively important. I'm not sure there was much, if any, emphasis on this in the 60's.

Anyway I'll shut up now and let others have their say on this surprisingly successful topic I've started! :)

It's an interesting thread about a much maligned species :D, well done for starting it.

One from the history books to go with. Dave MacKay, complete all round midfielder, water carrier, sitter, soldier etc etc the man could do it all......and I saw him play v the mighty Rovers :rover:

Archived