BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Watercarriers, sitters, 'soldiers' etc.. Hands up..

• Moderation Lead

Football is a team game, there are lots of roles in making a team work, people like Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, James Milner, like them or not, have all had roles to play, often key ones. Their fellow pros always can't speak highly enough of them and that's good enough for me.

Just now, Stuart said:

Erm, Batty had a tackle in him. A bit of menace too. Hardly a water carrier.

Doesnt the thread say "that type" with the prefix "water carries, sitters, "soldiers"?

I assume the thread is just a way to discuss one of Jals many sweeping negative generalisations but to be fair, it's summer and there's not much else, bar the Jason Lowe torment :) 

A discussion on "are defensive midfielders important" is certainly an easy one. I echo Khod on that.

Funnily enough, one of the recent standouts was Jermaine Jones and he played in a poorly organised Rovers team. Imagine Dunny in his pomp next to him or in a diamond! 

Just now, Stuart said:

Just for the record, you were the one who brought up JL first. ;)

He is one of those types of players (in relation to the thread), and I think a few struggle to let others opinions lie. I never jumped on JHR for his post elsewhere ;) 

On that note, pick another "anchor man" or whatever slightly cliche'd name for a midfielder who is more suited to the dirty work, as I know your opinion on "Super Jase" inside out. I've already given two..

Or what about...

IMG_0414.JPG

15 minutes ago, Biz said:

He is one of those types of players (in relation to the thread), and I think a few struggle to let others opinions lie. I never jumped on JHR for his post elsewhere ;) 

On that note, pick another "anchor man" or whatever slightly cliche'd name for a midfielder who is more suited to the dirty work, as I know your opinion on "Super Jase" inside out. I've already given two..

Or what about...

IMG_0414.JPG

What a cult hero.

loved the axe couldn't pass water but a killer in the tackle. Remember dreading Chelsea in the semi at OT watching him warm up with Sav broken legged he gave a great performance. 300k.

get him back at HT 

The thread is just to see if there really are folk out there who believe you can play a totally open attacking game without any kind of anchor players/track back wingers etc..

If so, surely they are old school, fans of the 60's game, Bryan douglas et all, one of 5 attackers in the team etc etc etc :lol:

9 minutes ago, david brent said:

Chelsea have always had a 'sitter' the last 10-15 years and hasn't done them any harm. Kante, Essien and Makelele spring to mind.

3 super players.

Essien and Makelele also hard as nails and put the foot in, often.

Kante whilst his engine is immense is still very creative and dangerous in forwatd positions

Just now, JayPeeBee40 said:

The thread is just to see if there really are folk out there who believe you can play a totally open attacking game without any kind of anchor players/track back wingers etc..

If so, surely they are old school, fans of the 60's game, Bryan douglas et all, one of 5 attackers in the team etc etc etc :lol:

Thing is back in the day defenders defended and forwards went...well...forward.

You might find grainy b&w historical clips around if you look in an antiques shop.

Tbh the old game was mobile and wing backs and inside forwards did the donkey work too.

Coaches invent new systems to justify their existence.

Sadly in the English leagues it nullifies creative development.

It's still 11 v 11 with a round ball.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Thing is back in the day defenders defended and forwards went...well...forward.

You might find grainy b&w historical clips around if you look in an antiques shop.

Tbh the old game was mobile and wing backs and inside forwards did the donkey work too.

Coaches invent new systems to justify their existence.

Sadly in the English leagues it nullifies creative development.

It's still 11 v 11 with a round ball.

dont get me wrong, I'm not disrespecting the 60s at all, but things HAVE moved on..

Archived