BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] FOOTBALL QUIZ QUESTIONS

4 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

He represented England at Schoolboy level because he went to school in England - that was the criteria for selection, as opposed to where you were born so I don't think he had any choice in the matter at that level. Conversely I think that he could have played for either country at 'full' level - Wales because of birth/parentage and England because he was educated there.

Is it right that his first major trophy as a schoolboy footballer was a cup final victory against Blackburn & Darwen schools (for Salford)? I seem to remember him making a comment during our glory years about the blue and white halved kit holding fond memories for him?

I first saw him playing for Salford under 15's against Liverpool under 15's in the ESFA Cup Quarter Final at Lower Broughton. The manc and scouse rivalry was clear and the Liverpool lads were pretty much grown men who were looking to smash him at any opportunity. My abiding memory was walking off the extremely muddy pitch at the end of the game and Giggs (or Wilson as he was then) hardly had a speck of mud on him. He rode every rough house scouse challenge with the balance of Nureyev and never moaned once. It was apparent to me then he was going to be a top player.

15 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

He represented England at Schoolboy level because he went to school in England - that was the criteria for selection, as opposed to where you were born so I don't think he had any choice in the matter at that level. Conversely I think that he could have played for either country at 'full' level - Wales because of birth/parentage and England because he was educated there.

Is it right that his first major trophy as a schoolboy footballer was a cup final victory against Blackburn & Darwen schools (for Salford)? I seem to remember him making a comment during our glory years about the blue and white halved kit holding fond memories for him?

Quite right. I played in the game he refers to for blackburn and darwen Schoolboys  v Salford in the Grenada Schools cup final at Anfield. You can still findubz it ont Internet.  Highlights were shown on Grenada reports and it was a right day. There is a very famous interview with a 14 year old Ryan Wilson on the coach on the way to the game. It appears in the documentary about his career on sky......

We lost 3-2......:wacko:

10 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Quite right. I played in the game he refers to for blackburn and darwen Schoolboys  v Salford in the Grenada Schools cup final at Anfield. You can still findubz it ont Internet.  Highlights were shown on Grenada reports and it was a right day. There is a very famous interview with a 14 year old Ryan Wilson on the coach on the way to the game. It appears in the documentary about his career on sky......

We lost 3-2......:wacko:

Where did you play? Anyone on your team make it? 

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Where did you play? Anyone on your team make it? 

If you want me to be really honest, the Rave/Drug scene/culture of the early 90s put paid to a few very promising careers in Blackburn . A know at least 3 lads who played that day who ended up in rehab after starting apprenticeships at rovers. Crazy days in Blackburn at the end of the 80s beginning of the 90s.

A couple still played at low level league ?

39 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

If you want me to be really honest, the Rave/Drug scene/culture of the early 90s put paid to a few very promising careers in Blackburn . A know at least 3 lads who played that day who ended up in rehab after starting apprenticeships at rovers. Crazy days in Blackburn at the end of the 80s beginning of the 90s.

A couple still played at low level league ?

He ha, fair dues. It put an end to a few in Ireland too. Although not as many as the booze scene 

Archived