BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Le Saux Retires

The story I heard was that Le Saux told the club at the beginning of the season he would be leaving the club later that season. He was going to get married and his bride did not want to live in the North West.

I don't know if the story was true, but at the time I felt my source was reliable.

It also meant I am more sympathetic to him than are some other supporters.

352641[/snapback]

Why so ? The fact Le Saux's future wife did not want to live in the best part of England, and he agreed to her wishes, makes him even more contemptible in my eyes.

And to think the little weasel was voted in the best-ever Rovers XI.

Not fit to wipe Keith Newton's derriere.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not fit to wipe Keith Newton's derriere.

352653[/snapback]

For once I agree with this boards most unpopular contributor! ohmy.gif ........... but with reservations. The cultured Newton was better defensiveley whilst imo Le Saux shaded it going forward. BUT astoundingly Keith Newton could play equally well (if not better) at right back! In fact if there were two Keith Newtons they would have been the best pair of full backs that England ever had!

What Le Saux did represent in the cold and unemotional light of day was an absolutely supreme bit of business and football acumen by KMD. He bought a troublesome left midfielder from Chelsea (Ternant fell out with Porterfield too and few have a good word for the ex Chelsea manager) for 650,000 and turned him into Englands best left back before we sold him back to em for 5 million!

Souness used the word 'Spikey' to describe Thommo but Le Saux was even spikier! A quality when kept under control that I personally like to see in players. Dickov has it, Sav has it, Fergie (Mike tongue.gif ), Batty and even Shearer to an extent had it...... whilst Speedie had it by the bucketful! thumbs-up.gif

Sure he left us but that is hardly a new concept to folk who have been going down to Ewwod as long as us is it Jim?

Trouble is Jim is pandered to because of who he is.

The guy should have been on a yellow or two ages ago.

318399[/snapback]

Eh? Is Old John somebody really famous and important? Oh kinell! For years I've seen nothing to convince me otherwise that he is not just some ignorant, rude bad tempered old git carrying a huge chip on both shoulders, who nobody likes but is living way back in the past with a worse than average understanding of the beautiful game.

Who is he really Lee Grooby's dad or something?

I've no idea why you watch football.  You seem to take no enjoyment at all out of any of the players or managers involved, except of course for the obvious enjoyment you get out of slagging them all at every opportunity.

352477[/snapback]

Sounds like the average Rovers fan to me , Scotty ... smile.giftinykit.gif

Eh?  Is Old John somebody really famous and important?  Oh kinell!  For years I've seen nothing to convince me otherwise that he is not just some ignorant, rude bad tempered old git carrying a huge chip on both shoulders, who nobody likes but is living way back in the past with a worse than average understanding of the beautiful game.

Who is he really Lee Grooby's dad or something?

352682[/snapback]

He was a sports "journalist" for the Times, and wrote a very interesting article in their season preview a few years ago - Praising Souness and the team and the board to the heavens

Also his name was on the article but for some reason he doesnt want it posted on the board because he then threatens all types of legal action if anyone has the nerve to mention his surname in any shape or form.

Im sure someone could post a link to the article in question. I still have the season preview at home

He was a sports "journalist" for the Times, and wrote a very interesting article in their season preview a few years ago - Praising Souness and the team and the board to the heavens

Also his name was on the article but for some reason he doesnt want it posted on the board because he then threatens all types of legal action if anyone has the nerve to mention his surname in any shape or form.

Im sure someone could post a link to the article in question. I still have the season preview at home

352871[/snapback]

I think of him as the anonymous member these days, as he doesn't want to be seen slumming it with those that are "listed".

Onya JD wink.gif

7-1 home and 5-2 away if memory serves, two of the best games ive ever been to. rover.gif

352826[/snapback]

Forgive me for being pedantic, but wasn't it 7-0 ?. I remember that game, and it was great. Especially when Jason Lee got battered, and was subbed by................Andrea Silenzi biggrin.gif.

Forgive me for being pedantic, but wasn't it 7-0 ?. I remember that game, and it was great. Especially when Jason Lee got battered, and was subbed by................Andrea Silenzi  biggrin.gif.

352947[/snapback]

Correct. 7-0 Shearer 3, Bohinen 2, Newell and Le Saux

plus the away game was actualy 5-1 not 5-2, Shearer, McKinley, Wilcox 2, Fenton.

Correct. 7-0 Shearer 3, Bohinen 2, Newell and Le Saux

plus the away game was actualy 5-1 not 5-2, Shearer, McKinley, Wilcox 2, Fenton.

352948[/snapback]

Im giving them more credit than they deserve then. I'd forgot Fenton even played for us, what became of him?

Eh?  Is Old John somebody really famous and important?  For years I've seen nothing to convince me otherwise that he is not just some ignorant, rude bad tempered old git carrying a huge chip on both shoulders, who nobody likes but is living way back in the past with a worse than average understanding of the beautiful game.

352682[/snapback]

He was a sports "journalist" for the Times, and wrote a very interesting article in their season preview a few years ago -

352871[/snapback]

and....?

hmmm So it appears that I was right then?

• 5 months later...

From Alan's link: "He was promised that he had a glittering future within the corporation before he left Southampton last summer."

Well after Southampton were relegated to the second tier of football last season for the first time since 1978 (a season last year in which Le Saux appeared to be more interested in travelling up and down the country to commentate on matches for the Beeb rather than concentrating on the relegation battle he was involved in) - Le Saux should have done the decent thing and offered his services to Southampton in Division 1/ The Championship this season to try to help them out of the mess he and his Saints team-mates created by getting relegated.

Unfortunately, I suspect Mr Le Saux saw long-term pound signs in his head in terms of a career with the BBC - where he probably planned to stay for several years until quitting last week in a fit of pique. It was perhaps typical of Le Saux's temperament. When things don't go his way, he spits his dummy out - like throwing his Chelsea shirt at the bench after getting upset at being substituted during a game in his first spell at the Bridge. Rovers signed him shortly afterwards and he won a Premiership medal with us.

He should have been damned grateful to Rovers for signing him after he disgraced himself at Chelsea - but instead he was happy to walk out on our club. I gather that Le Saux plans to write an autobiography soon, where he'll no doubt give a sob story about being hard done to by the BBC.

On a different note, but still related to football pundits - forgive me if I've mentioned this point before - but I think it's an absolute joke that the BBC have hired the services of Mick McCarthy as an analyst and match summariser for the World Cup this summer.

How can this useless and tactically inept Premiership manager have any credibility when it comes to speaking on TV about the world's best players, when he failed so utterly abysmally with Sunderland? It looks like they'll go down with the worst top flight points total in history and I know Mick likes to spin the yarn about not having had any money to spend last summer - but the truth is that they spent a similar amount to Wigan before the start of this season.

If I was a Sunderland fan I'd be disgusted to see Mick McCarthy on the box this summer after the tripe he served up this season.

On a different note, but still related to football pundits - forgive me if I've mentioned this point before - but I think it's an absolute joke that the BBC have hired the services of Mick McCarthy as an analyst and match summariser for the World Cup this summer.

How can this useless and tactically inept Premiership manager have any credibility when it comes to speaking on TV about the world's best players, when he failed so utterly abysmally with Sunderland? It looks like they'll go down with the worst top flight points total in history and I know Mick likes to spin the yarn about not having had any money to spend last summer - but the truth is that they spent a similar amount to Wigan before the start of this season.

If I was a Sunderland fan I'd be disgusted to see Mick McCarthy on the box this summer after the tripe he served up this season.

397869[/snapback]

Sunderland fans love him though, so I doubt that. Also, you are talking about one of the most successful managers in Irish history. A man who's international pedigree cannot be doubted. True things didn't go well this season, but he got Sunderland promoted last season don't forget. He knows his stuff about international football and world cups.

Sunderland fans love him though, so I doubt that. Also, you are talking about one of the most successful managers in Irish history. A man who's international pedigree cannot be doubted. True things didn't go well this season, but he got Sunderland promoted last season don't forget. He knows his stuff about international football and world cups.

397926[/snapback]

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

From Alan's link: How can this useless and tactically inept Premiership manager have any credibility when it comes to speaking on TV about the world's best players, when he failed so utterly abysmally with Sunderland? It looks like they'll go down with the worst top flight points total in history and I know Mick likes to spin the yarn about not having had any money to spend last summer - but the truth is that they spent a similar amount to Wigan before the start of this season.

397869[/snapback]

Peter Reid, Mick McCarthy and the hairdresser are all failed managers who have been allowed to be rewarded for being inept by being pundits. McCarthy may be a good 1st division manager, but he is clueless when it comes to the big league. His players are lower standard players, playing lower standard tactics, and not even the financial problems can be blamed.

And I am getting worried Eddie, first you're saying Boumsong is a player we should buy to play, rather than operate the half time tombola. Then you are saying McCarthy is a good manager. Do the sleeves on your coat tie up at the back ? tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.