BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Le Saux Retires

Greame Le Saux has announced his retirement from playing football. Most famous moments include a title win at Ewood and scrapping with Batty.

Another link with 1994/95 disappears...

LE SAUX HANGS UP HIS BOOTS

Ex-England defender Le Saux retires

Not that he should feel too sad, after all...it wasn't so long ago that the members of this very brfcs website voted him as the 'Greatest Left Back' that the club had ever had.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck to him in whatever he chooses to do next. I must admit to being a little underwhelmed when we bought him. I asumed that he would be cover for the left side (Wilcox and Wright I think). In the end he turned out to be one of my favourite players.

Having wished him luck in his future career I do find his punditary bland, "He'll be diapointed with himself there Motty...." and all of that old tosh.

Over-rated southern nonce

318233[/snapback]

Don't remember him being convicted as a paedophile, but when was accuracy core to your profession ?

What next ? Saddam in a romper suit ?

318247[/snapback]

Comments on professional integrity from a racist, bent copper. Ho hum.

What next ? Lily-livered soldiers who don't like pop guns ?

He certainly did some good crosses for Shearer.

A lot of fans didn't like the way he left the club, but the rumour I heard was that at the start of the season he left, he told the manager he was going to have to leave as he was getting married and his bride wouldn't leave London.

It might seem a bit soft now but it seemed reasonable at the time!

Good luck and thanks to Graeme Le Saux.

One of KD's more astute signings. he was bought from Chelsea reserves for £650,000 and fairly soon became England's first choice left back.

Before he got the call up I remember Motty commenting on a Rover's match "You have to ask yourself "Is there a better left back in the country?""

The answer was obviously "No."

As for the acrimonious/dodgy leaving of Rovers, well you can stuff him in a great big bag along with Shearer, Sutton, Sherwood, Hendry, Henchoz, Dunn, Ferguson to name but a few. Let's not get all precious about this. It happens.

Over-rated southern nonce who will be remembered for his petulant temper rather than any (limited) ability he may or may not have had.

318233[/snapback]

but if he was from Blackburn-he would be a good player right?

just like David 'pele' Dunn blink.gif

btw-seems you are the racist one-to people from down south.

SCUM

Edited by greggyk

This MB is getting boring.

Le Saux should not have been in our team ahead of Newton and Eckersley.

But as the third best left back Rovers have ever had, that still makes him one hell of a player and undeserving of the jim garbage.

The seventh he hit against Forest was European goal of the week and I don't think we have had many of those. Saux crossing to Shearer was probably an even more potent combination than Ripley to Shearer.

Sauxy was always a favourite of mine and I wish him all the best in his new media career.

We could say you're all a bunch of whinging poms, but that wouldn't be nice now would it. FFS, get over it... we're all Rovers, no matter where we come from, what clothes we wear, which dodgy establishments we frequent or who we worship.

Praise be to Nelsen, Lord of all that is resolute.

Edited by evukovic

Jim is full of it. People shouldn`t bite although his response to AS was well out of order. AS pointed out an error that the typical journalist makes ( the word nonce ) and has to put up with abuse from the other attention seeking tit on the MB ( step aside Rover6 ).

Why can`t the 2 idiots post honest opinions that they themselves belive in rather than wind up material.

As for Le Saux, anyone from that 95 team is a hero of mine. A special era with Ewood rammed on match days. Happy days. If you take out the glory hunting money grabbing nonces from the question!

The seventh he hit against Forest was European goal of the week

Without playing the video.....I don't think he scored against Forest in the 7-1

He did score a complete and absolute screamer against Brazil though. While playing in an England shirt. Thumped the ball from a good 25 yards/metres out and it flew in the top right hand corner.

The seventh he hit against Forest was European goal of the week

Without playing the video.....I don't think he scored against Forest in the 7-1

I think he scored a screamer into the top corner from 30 yards in that game as well col.

Was a fantastic player for us at a bargain price. Came in from the cold at Chelsea and re-invented and re-established himself so successfully he became England's left back.

Was quite vocal about the decline of the club post Kenny. Don't blame him for that at all.

Let himself down in moscow but I think the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Good luck to him.

Yes it was the seventh as Revidge described it in the 7-0 against Forest. It was great to see it in the flesh but unlike Shearer's howitzer against QPR the previous season, the cameraman caught it beautifully and it looked even better on TV!

He did score a complete and absolute screamer against Brazil though. While playing in an England shirt. Thumped the ball from a good 25 yards/metres out and it flew in the top right hand corner.

318306[/snapback]

The Umbro cup! It was an incredible goal. Unfortunately a certain Juninho was, at that point, showing the world that he was pretty useful.

Le Saux was fantastic. To recover from a broken leg and return to the form he'd shown before was testament to a professional defender with a marvellous attitude.

Compare him to any whinging footballer you get now, who sulks as soon as he emerges into the first team, and you come unstuck. He fought with Batty because Batty was being a complete tit.

Well done Graeme, thanks for the memories. rover.gif

Compare him to any whinging footballer you get now, who sulks as soon as he emerges into the first team, and you come unstuck. He fought with Batty because Batty was being a complete tit.

Well done Graeme, thanks for the memories. rover.gif

318348[/snapback]

Do me a favour, he was an absolute disgrace whne he decided that he wanted to leave the club, he just stood on the field and put ZERO effort in, what response is that to the fans who always supported him? Don't be fooled by his slightly more eductated pronunciation than other pro footballers, the man engineered his move by basically going on strike whilst wearing the Rovers shirt. Rememeber his quate when he left Chelsea to join us "i would have to go lower than a snakes belly to return to Stamford Bridge" where did he go when he left us? Good footballer when it suites him.

He bloody well played for "our" team when they won the championship.

I have no complaints about any of the team (That's TEAM) that played that year.

For his, and others, contribution, I will be eternally grateful.

318357[/snapback]

If he didn't leave with good grace then it should be pointed out. There's too much of this "I've won something for this club so I am absolved of all sins" attitude amongst footballers these days.

Now someone like Henning Berg I have a lot of time for.

That's not to say I don't appreciate what happened in '95 ...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.