BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Convicts Return

Timmy

Gillispie dropped sad.gif not that I thought he shouldn't be, but what's to become of him now? I think he still has a good chance of resurecting his career, as McGrath will retire soon enough, and on form, he's a natural fit for the premier fast bowler spot. However, it may be that his injury-proneness has degraded the rate of his progression to such a point that he may not comeback.

One more point, before the next test starts. An English friend of mine thought Vaughan should have declared earlier at stumps on the fourth day (so, not retrospect). I disagreed. After the test was drawn, we both held our opinion.

I thought Vaughan was spot on with the declaration, because ultimately, the winning margin was 50 odd... any earlier declaration would have had the knock on of allowing more time for Australia to reach the target, so it magnifies the deficiency in the target score of an earlier declaration. Of course it is all speculation, but I think Australia may have been able to play in a different way and attain the target if Vaughan has impatiently declared, say just 2 overs earlier than he did. The difference those two overs made was a target of 402 (which would have sounded enough at the time) instead of 423, or put another way, Australia being within 35 runs with two extra overs... hmm, after writing all that, I've changed my mind biggrin.gif that might have enticed Ponting to play some riskier shots earlier perhaps....

In anycase, declaring as Vaughan did was not a mistake. Apart from his earlier innings with the bat this series, Vaughan has done a fine job as captain. I think both captain's stood up in the third test, and that was important, especially for Ponting, who finally seemed to have figured out that he might be the first Aussie captain in a while to lose an Ashes series... and set out at averting it.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I thought that Vaughn could have been more daring and set a lower total.

If he had set 398 to win, the Aussies couldn't have resisted having a go. So they would have gone for the win instead of batting out the draw, and IMO would have taken more risks and probably gone down swinging.

He could have used their arrogance against them. The Aussies may have thought they had it in them, but on that pitch and against the English bowlers, they were dreaming!

I'd go with the declaration being just right.

Australia could have got that total had any top order batsman hung around a bit longer with Ponting. Equally England should have got the last wicket.

The asking rate was only a touch over 4 runs an over across a day and a bit- any modern Test side which gets in is going to score at that rate.

Vaughan's wicket probably just swung it the Aussies way. I'd say the whole day was pretty even though, maybe just England slightly on top.

Tomorrow morning's crucial. If England can get a good start 400+ is on the cards and it'll be hard to lose the match from there. If the Aussies strike early we could be out for less than 300 and it's all to play for.

Well bowled Ponting! laugh.gif

Mark Taylor used to have a knack of bringing on a change bowler when things weren't going his way and conjuring up a wicket.

Good to see Ponting take a risk and get rewarded.

Honours even after day one...onto day two!

Who was it that said Blowers is embarrassing? I see/hear your point.

He goes on and on about all these distractions to the cricket. But he does have his moments, even though they are mostly unintentional.

What did he say today that had me laughing... something like:

We'll turn Rodney Marsh on, once he gets into position.

Something like that blink.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.