BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fill The Mead Cup, Drain The Barrel

Tried a couple of "weekend lunchtime" pubs since moving to the area a few weeks ago - namely the White Bull at Ribchester (which was excellent) and Red Lion at Blacksnape which was very good. Rosins at Hoddlesden is on the list for the future.

Don't want to become reliant on the printed guide books though - word of mouth is worth more IMO - so anyone got any good suggestions? Off the beaten track / back of beyond boozers welcome.

Tried a couple of "weekend lunchtime" pubs since moving to the area a few weeks ago - namely the White Bull at Ribchester (which was excellent) and Red Lion at Blacksnape which was very good. Rosins at Hoddlesden is on the list for the future.

Don't want to become reliant on the printed guide books though - word of mouth is worth more IMO - so anyone got any good suggestions? Off the beaten track / back of beyond boozers welcome.

A good thread to revive Tris. I'd love to find a decent pint in walking distance of the ground. Thwaites's original at the Navigation's ok but not a sniff of the proper good stuff (Black Sheep, Landlord and whatnot).

20 years ago The Buck Inn in Clitheroe used to sell a beautiful pint of Thwaites Best Mild.

It's a f*****g disco now.

The best place by far in Clitheroe is The New Inn - wondeful real pub full of wonderful real ale .

THIS explains in a little more detail .

(You may or may not care to use the services of the site's advertisers ; I chose not to ..... :closedeyes: )

The best place by far in Clitheroe is The New Inn - wondeful real pub full of wonderful real ale .

Agree with you on that one, most of the rest in Clitheroe seem to have turned into night-clubs where the the predominant method of conversation is "WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU" followed by a £30 round of gnat's ###### in a plastic container.

The station at Cherrytree has a good range of thwaites beers on tap (usually 4 or 5 at any one time, ie...cask, bomber, wainwright, smooth, bloomin etc....)

The Fieldens at the end of Livesey is a freehouse & has a good range of real ales from lots of different independent breweries. Well worth a visit ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Tris-doesn't do food, but my mates Dad has this place.

The Prince Of Wales, Chorley

Definitely a real ale place, and is beautifully appointed in memorabilia of an old fashioned pub, with old ashtrays, vintage and retro musicians and ornaments. Is a lot more impressive than it sounds, but Dave (Landlord) doesn't tolerate unruliness, swearing, and even shouting. Very pleasant.

Worth an hour on a Sunday lunch.

Cheers OJ.

We popped in to the Strawberry Duck at Entwistle yesterday afternoon - lovely "proper" pub and the food looked excellent (even though we weren't dining yesterday).

Will certainly be back there - 7 mins on the train from Darwen ...

The Strawberry Duck has decent B&B facilities too if you fancy going over in the evening and don't want to get the last train back. The rooms are nice enough and the breakfast is great. Plus a walk round the adjacent reservoir the next moring is the ideal way to get rid of a hangover.

Staying in that neck of the woods, the near-by village of Edgworth has some cracking pubs. The Rose & Crown and Black Bull are proper drinking pubs, the White Horse is more foody, and the Spread Eagle used to do great Italian food (although I haven't been since it changed hands). All 4 are within a mile or so of each other. The Toby on the top road to Edgworth also used to do great Italian food as well, but again I haven't been for a few years.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.