Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hd Ready Lcd Tv

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got HD installed today.

Tips:

Get as good a model TV as you can afford and get as big a screen as you can afford. The bigger the screen the better the HD quality will be. I suggest 32" minimum.

Stay away from cheap LCD Tv's.

Guest Kamy100

Got HD installed today.

Tips:

Get as good a model TV as you can afford and get as big a screen as you can afford. The bigger the screen the better the HD quality will be. I suggest 32" minimum.

Stay away from cheap LCD Tv's.

I am looking to buy one of these, any advice on what make models I should go for as I haven't got a clue.

Just been browsing for an LCD TV and came accross this:

http://www.clubstores.co.uk/newinfo.php?cl...&item=WS32Z408D

Can anyone tell me more about this company?

If someone can verify they are for real, here is my favourite:

http://www.clubstores.co.uk/newinfo.php?cl...&item=LE26R41BD

When I was doing my research Samsung and Sharp were getting all the best reviews for LCD tv's.

The second TV you show there I already own. I bought it for my bedroom and also decided to use it as my PC monitor and I have to say I am very impressed. PC picture is sharp and the XBOX 360 is also very sharp (at 720p). It has all the connectivity you could ask for (HDMI, 2 x SCART, composite, progressive scan). Microsoft used the LE26R41BD (albeit the 23" version) to demo the XBOX 360 in stores!

Highly recommended if you are after an LCD tv.

...buy from the internet, you'll save hundreds of pounds.

Too true. Just got back from Whitebirk where the telly I was looking at earlier is £699 with signs all over saying 'WE WONT BE BEATEN ON PRICE"...

Couple that with being crawled all over by the sales people there, the net is the way forward for me...

this is the one i went for they even do buy now pay later, it came in less than a week, delivered by curries, £260.00 off their shop price.

it is amazing!!!

http://www.web-prices.com/tvs/products/sam...E32R73BD_74.htm

Ive just bought a goodmans 37inch Lcd hd ready with stand and a free dvd recorder £1385

i think thats a dam bargain!

Display it on a quality HD ready TV and the picture is astonishing. Display it on a cheaper tv that's badly set up and you wont see much difference.

It's the way all broadcaster will go eventually.

Thanks for that answer to my question den. The prices being mentioned are quite large and to pay that sort of money for something that could be just a tv industry selling ploy is just stupid. Many posters have stated prices and where to buy but non have said if they are happy with their puchase, and if they are does the improvement justify the amount paid.

Sceptic

Anyone else have Sky High Definition installed this week?

Not likely. £10 extra for very little content.

I am currently looking at getting a freeview HD satellite receiver. If they ever release the patch to make BBC-HD work then I will probably get the Humax HDCI-2000. Just plug it into my existing sky cable and I will get the BBC trials (followed by whatever other freeview comes - possibly ITV, C4 and C5).

I am also in the lucky position of being able to pick up the DTT HD transmissions from Crystal Palace. The BBC are transmitting at around 20mbps using a h264 codec that no morden PC's can actually decode quickly enough. I get 11 frames per second on my 3700+. Still, it looks absolutely stunning. The ITV, C4 and C5 test channels appeared the other day but all they are transmitting is test bars.

Not likely. £10 extra for very little content.

We're not exactly overawed by the amount of HD content, that's certain. There is the world cup coming up though, all in HD. On top of that, all the Cricket, Rugby, Wimbledon, Prem footy and Prem plus games are in HD. Along with Discovery, Nat Geo [both amazing]. Two movie HD channels. Plus a lot of American material has been done in HD [sky one]. More and more content will be shot in HD I hope.

We're not exactly overawed by the amount of HD content, that's certain. There is the world cup coming up though, all in HD. On top of that, all the Cricket, Rugby, Wimbledon, Prem footy and Prem plus games are in HD. Along with Discovery, Nat Geo [both amazing]. Two movie HD channels. Plus a lot of American material has been done in HD [sky one]. More and more content will be shot in HD I hope.

Again, the problem there for me is the cash going to sky. To get Prem Football and Movies you need to be on the £42.50 package. Add to that the multiroom that I already have plus the HD sub, it's £62.50 per month. Thats £750 per year just for TV!!!

That's mainly why I'm going down the freeview HD route. Even if it stays as just BBC on the satellite trials, out of your list, I'll be able to get the World cup (well half of it), Wimbledon and any HD material they pump out (probably Eastenders in all it's glory).

YAY! It came today - and it works great.

Just enough inputs for me to get rid of my scart router too!

Picture quality is fine, but can't afford sky hd yet - I thought sky+ was overpriced, but dear god!

PS - Will let you know what the nudge nudge wink wink is like in HD widescreen, Abbey!

Edited by ffberryb77

• 1 year later...

After a reasonable period of HD being available I am now interested in having sky hd installed. My question to those that have it is :- was it worth it or is it all hype? :- would you still have it installed or would you advise me to wait.

FYI I have a 32" Sony Bravia tv and subscribe to the full sky package.

After a reasonable period of HD being available I am now interested in having sky hd installed. My question to those that have it is :- was it worth it or is it all hype? :- would you still have it installed or would you advise me to wait.

FYI I have a 32" Sony Bravia tv and subscribe to the full sky package.

Well, I was the same way, I was like, "Eh, HD, whatever, TV is TV, its all the same" Then i got spoiled. Watched a few football games (real and American) and played a lot of Halo 3 on the HD flat screen in my neighbor's room in the dorm at school, and man what a difference when I went back to my lame ass set. I am saving up my money to get me one cause its awesome.

Edited by American Rover12

Haven't got it myself as I really can't see there being enough content to justify an extra £10 per month.

BBCHD is about the best looking channel and that is free. Channel 4 HD has just launched and you don't need a subscription to see that but you do need a SkyHD box.

There is rumour that Channel 4's contract with Sky for encryption is up soon and they will follow BBC and ITV in going completely free to air. This would mean that you could pick up those HD channels with any HD box and no subscription.

Of course, if you really want HD footy then you need to pay Sky.

Edited by Biddy

What you must remember about skyHD, is that you only get the HD channels, that you pay for on the normal package. IE, you only get sky movies HD, if you already subscribe to Sky movies. Likewise, you only get skysports HD1&2, if you subscribe to sky sports.

Having said that, I DO subscribe to those channels, thus I can watch HD TV all day long. As Biddy says, BBC HD is excellent. Sky1Hd is also excellent. On top of that you have SkyartsHD, Two HD movie channels, 2 Skysports channels, Discovery, Nat Geo, and the history channel - all in HD. Using sky anytime, you also get first viewing of quite a lot of the HD films.

You can make use of the planner to record any HD programmes that you might have missed, so all in all, there is quite a lot of content. It's also fair to say that not all of the HD channels actually show HD content 100& of the time, but hopefully as time goes by, the HD content will increase.

There is also Bluray, via a Bluray player or PS3. [or HDDVD].

As I say though, I can watch HD all day long if I wish.

Get a good TV though. Get one that shows 1080p with 1:1 pixel mapping. That means there will be no scaling done by the TV, hence a very stable, noise free picture.

Edited by den

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.