BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sky In Multiple Rooms.

Does anyone know what the cheapeast/simplest way of getting Sky into another room is without buying Sky+? I'm not too fussed about being able to change channel (although if this were possible to do cheaply I may do, I read on another forum about buying extra Sky boxes to do this), but as my little portable won't recieve a reception worth watching I'd like to hook it up the main Sky reception somehow.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Browse/catal...cip%3D42506.htm

We've got a Tv Sender - about £40 for an alright one - and you can control the Sky/DVD/Whatever from the Room you're in

Yep, that's how I've done it as well. Picture and sound are excellent and you can change channel as well. One thing to bear in mind though, if you are running a wireless network/internet in your house it may intefere with the picture quality (it does on mine, but that maybe 'cos I'm sending the video signal up three floors). To get round it I just turn off the wireless when watching the TV via the sender.

or at least change the frequencies on the TV transmitter - Our next door neighbour's got a wireless CCTV system to watch the front of his house, we can see our cars from it as well if we use that frequency.

I've got a Thompson one - which is probably better than the £40 ones that Argos are flogging at the moment

Anyone bother getting one of them Sky Gnome things, were you can hear any Sky channel in any room?

My Dad had a sky gnome - he sold it after a couple of months saying he never really used it. I though it was ok - Specially for listeing to football while taking a cr8p!

Does anyone know if i can replace my sky box with a sky plus box? Or do I need a new dish / cables etc?

Thanks for the advice chaps. I think I'm leaning towards a TV Sender thingy as my television is a long way from television downstairs, it would be a lot of effort to get a cable up to it without tripping people up.

I know people have suggested an alright one for around £40 but that's a fair bit of money at the moment...however, I found THIS on the last page. Now, as it sends to 4 rooms I could probably persuade other people in the house to chip in so they could get it in their rooms too. I just wonder though if it will work as it seems incredibly cheap for what it claims to do.

Thanks for the advice chaps. I think I'm leaning towards a TV Sender thingy as my television is a long way from television downstairs, it would be a lot of effort to get a cable up to it without tripping people up.

I know people have suggested an alright one for around £40 but that's a fair bit of money at the moment...however, I found THIS on the last page. Now, as it sends to 4 rooms I could probably persuade other people in the house to chip in so they could get it in their rooms too. I just wonder though if it will work as it seems incredibly cheap for what it claims to do.

That still involves cabling though.

Sorry, Incorrect they put a new cable over aswell! So unless you fancy doing some ladder work dont just buy the box it will not work!!

Not only cabling but also the LNB on the end of the dish is different.

If anyones interested I do have a spare Sky+ box and dish which I'm willing to sell. Drop me a PM if interested, otherwise I'll chuck it on ebay.

• 1 year later...

Right, sorry for dragging up such an old thread, (thought there was a Sky+/HD one but can't find it :( ).

Anyway, we are getting Sky HD installed on Monday as our normal Sky has packed in :(. We have Sky connected to the other TV's through the aerial, I'm just wondering if anyone knew what the best and cheapest way of getting an actual HD picture to at least on of the TVs upstairs was using HDMI cables etc, I reckon it'll take around 10m of cable from the actual box in the kitchen to the bedroom. Or is there any other way of doing so?

Thanks

Brian

Nope, about your only way is the HDMI cable. Previously you could have used component video senders but 1) sky have removed component outs from new HD boxes and 2) the senders cost about £200.

The HDMI cable will be fine at 10meters. Much more though and the signal starts degrading. I have a 10m cable between my FTV HD box in the garage and the TV in the lounge. Works a treat.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.