BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Problems With Vista

Right, I'm trying to get everything sorted on Vista and I'm having problems. Several of my programs (Sonicstage, digital pen) won't work, even when I set them to run on an older version of windows. On top of this internet explorer won't run, despite it being the version that came with vista and the fact that my internet connection is certainly working properly. Anyone know of why these aren't working (particularly my internet explorer as that prevents me from really getting everything sorted on the laptop). Help!

Sorted IE now and now just have the problem of getting some programs to run. Much less important and much easier now that I can get online. Any help with getting sonicstage and a digital pen to work on here though would be much appreciated; neither seem capable of fully installing.

Alright, Firefox no longer works, despite working earlier. It worked and then said it couldn't run as something had not finished downloading at which point I restarted and did all that and eventually removed it. Now when I go to re-install it, it will not fully install and will have some error that prevents it from doing so. Any ideas?

I'm impressed with how much I've managed to actually get working in the 64-bit version of Vista. Even my wireless skype phone works. It's much better and more stable than the last release candidate version I used.

Certain things are annoying like the fact they have removed hotmail from windows mail (previously outlook express) and some programs like AutoCAD just won't install. The best work around is to get a copy of Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 which is free on their site, and install a copy of XP on there. Now I have all the programs I want running at the same time without dual-booting.

AOL's vista software doesnt work on my machine, but as I have a router I have IE which (touch wood) works adequately.

I also have my old PC sat next to the new one with my spare keyboard and mouse and got it conected through the router so I have XP and Vista, all in one room.

Its toasty warm now :)

I've just installed Windows Vista Business edition (got it for free through the university :)), and so far I haven't had any problems. Before I installed it I ran a program called Windows Vista advisor, which told me about programs that wouldn't work and programs that might not work after Vista is installed and so on. I'm just cleaning up after my old windows right now, and installing all the programs again.. It took me about 15-20 mins to install Vista, and it started downloading and installing new drivers for my graphics card, sound card and any other devicec automatically after I ran Vista the first time. Class. :tu:

I am a Mac user at home, so have no experience of Vista and only enough familiarity with XP to log in at work; however, I am intrigued by reviews suggesting Vista represents a "coming together" of Apple and Microsoft OS's. Is anyone in the privileged position of being able to comment?

How did you manage that pks?

well I could always ask my laptop? :unsure::P

lol, I don't know but it works really well for me. Haven't had any problems yet, but haven't really started installing all the major programs yet. iTunes works fine, and my poker client works fine which is the most important thing ;)

My laptop is a 2-year old Dell Inspiron 9300 Pentium M 1,8 GhZ, 1GB RAM, 60GB hard-drive..

btw..have you seen that Vista gives your computer a rating? it rates all the components :P my processor got only a 3.8, but my graphics card got a 5.9 :)

I meant more for how did you manage to get it for free from your univeristy.

there's a lecturer/tutor at the Informatics department (my department) who thinks students should get access to free programs from Microsoft that will help us on our course. He has fought a lot against the Uni, but they refuse to pay anything. So he have taken of his own money/grants and bought licenses for the Informatics students. Can download programs like win XP, 2000, Vista (business edition), Access, Visual Studio, Microsoft Project(?), etc.. This legend of a tutor is about to retire, so I think I'm gonna download a fair few of the other programs as well. I'm planning on sending him an e-mail saying thank you for what he's doing for us students!

I'm having some grief with Media Center Edition and the Internet at the minute. Certain websites, especially MySpace, cause my system to freeze completely. Which is a massive pain in the balls.

Anyone else?

Archived