BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Enter Gunnar, Exit Brown Or Enckelman?

Seems to me that there won't be any need for FOUR keepers in our seniors side, so who won't make the cut?

It seems as if they are just waiting out Enckelman's contract now...

But why have we snapped up Nielsen? I thought Brown was brilliant when he came on last season. :blink:

"I'm very pleased, it's a massive opportunity for me just to develop in the best league in the world." Nielsen- sounds as if they've promised him first team opportunities in the coming season?

Thoughts?

Knowing Sparky's propensity for spotting a diamond in the rough, he REALLY must have potential, because I think it was quoted that ,"....(up to now)..hadn't seen much football at any appreciable level...".

Seems to me that there won't be any need for FOUR keepers in our seniors side, so who won't make the cut?

It seems as if they are just waiting out Enckelman's contract now...

But why have we snapped up Nielsen? I thought Brown was brilliant when he came on last season. :blink:

"I'm very pleased, it's a massive opportunity for me just to develop in the best league in the world." Nielsen- sounds as if they've promised him first team opportunities in the coming season?

Thoughts?

1 s t C H O I C E :

Brad Friedel. Not moving under any circumstances and will see out his contract with a possible one year extension in order to make it 10 years with the club.

2 n d C H O I C E :

Jason Brown. He was signed by Hughes as understudy to Brad and will be in that position this season. He has the ability and might get the break at some stage this season, but Brad will br trying to keep his consecutive appearances going for as long as possible. I would feel that he will be happy to play second fiddle this season, but will be under review next term.

3 r d C H O I C E :

Peter Enckleman. Is the most likely out of all the keepers to move this season. Has the expereince, but is probably becoming increasingly aggitated with lack of opportunities in the first team. An offer to pay him out of his contract will be enough to earn him a move away considering he is in his final year of contract.

4th C H O I C E :

Gunnar Nielsen, Frank Fielding. I believe he has been signed under the impression that Enckleman will be leaving this summer or indeed in twelve months at thevery latest. Was on loan last season and has proven his potential to become a top goalkeeper. However, he will need a vast amount of experience in order to challenge for a place in the senior squad and this will come through the keepers he will be working with at the club and also a possible move out on loan. Will be expected to see more of him next season. Frank is only 19 and will be pushing hard for this 4th spot, but could be likely to head off on loan.

O T H E R S :

Zak Jones (18), Andy Arestidou(17). These lads will be with the academy and contesting for their respective places in the sides. Andy has played at Schoolboy level for England or whilst Zak has represented England and the next stage at U17 level.

I can't imagine that a 20 year old second choice keeper from Danish second division mid-table team would command a place in the first team immediately, despite his impressive Faroe Island U21 -status ;) Since his debut in 2005, he has played only 5 games in Frem. Probably the staff wants to see him in action, so reserve games for Nielsen. Fielding might be loaned out to get first team experience, wasn't he the first choice keeper in the reserves last term?

Enckelman won't leave unless Rovers pay out the remainder of his contract. He's been sitting on the bench and the stands since the League Cup exit against Bournemouth in 2004 and his lack of ambition is evident. There's no way he's going to get a new deal even near as good as his current one. The consensus in Finland is that he'll move to Swedish Allsvenskan after his contract expires (or gets bought out).

Shame on Enckelman. He's wasted the supposed best years of his career on our bench. Anyone with that much talent (international still) should put it to use.

So true. Before Antti Niemi retired from international football Enckelman and Jussi Jaaskelainen were racing practically neck to neck for the future number one jersey in the Finland national team. When Niemi retired in 2005, Jaaskelainen was playing for Bolton (and playing well) and Enckelman was sitting on the bench at Ewood - you can guess who got the number one shirt. Enckelman is only 2 years younger than Jaaskelainen, so when Jussi eventually retires I think the time has passed for Enckelman too in Finland national team. So basicly he threw out the chance of being the number one at the national team for the salary at Rovers (for sitting on the bench and being there for the training). In hindsight, he probably wouldn't have won the jersey anyways as Jaaskelainen has been phenomenal at Bolton, but shame on him for not even trying.

It's hardly Enckelman's fault that Brad's been almighty in goal. He signed a contract and hasn't been required to play. He was never going to be the best keeper in the world, but he's not had enough football for anyone to want to buy him. He's happy on his Premiership wages and fiddling about with his Motorsport team. He'll definitely be released at the end of his deal.

Your memory serves you well.He has never been in goal for a win nor has he kept a clean sheet.He lost 1-0 to spurs and tied 1-1 with big club and gave up 3 to bournemouth as well as 7 penalties as we crashed out to them.Lifetime record 0 wins 1 tie and 2 losses

Your memory serves you well.He has never been in goal for a win nor has he kept a clean sheet.He lost 1-0 to spurs and tied 1-1 with big club and gave up 3 to bournemouth as well as 7 penalties as we crashed out to them.Lifetime record 0 wins 1 tie and 2 losses

Thank you. I rest my case. :brfc:

It seems to me that i was just waching (on youtube) where enckelman is playing for villa and gets a throw in throwen to him and it goes right under his foot.... Dont remember or belive me just watch http://youtube.com/watch?v=wuEcLjbUS1E&amp...ted&search= It starts at the 4min43sec mark but please feel free to watch the whole thing. Its some of footballs funner moments.

It also containes the Tim Flowers goal where the ball jumps over him.... *sigh* :rolleyes:

Now i know why Brad has that obsession with putting the grass back in its place when he plays!

Over all was very pleased with Brown this past season he played very well and even saved a PK or two :) . I think its time for Enckelman to pack his bags and move on. I hope sparky learns this new kid well, with BIG Brad there hopfully he'll pick up a thing or two.

Thank you. I rest my case. :brfc:

I don't understand what case you actually had??

No one challenged you or asked you to come up with a little piece of trivia and then to come out with a downright ignominious comment on how you judge a keeper? Are you even a season-ticket holder or do know how to judge a keeper, apart from looking at stats and the clean sheets he's kept??

Enks has done alright at the club and certainly can't be faulted in the games he played. He hasn't been given the opportunities to play regular football to judge him properly, but I think he will become a very useful player for another club and surprised that not one single club have tried to get him in the last 12 months.

I was at the game against Birmingham (1-1 draw) when we wouldn't have had the most concrete of defences and only for Brad that season, he really got us to where we did. Enckelman pulled off two fine saves in the match and only for him we could have lost more revenue as we could have slipped further down the table by dropping a point. The goal he conceded was the defences fault as Stern John was allowed a free header due to poor marking.

The game before this, was his debut away to Spurs when Rovers were on a superb run. Enckelman was drafted in due to Brad's only real injury at the club. From memory he again served his purpose and again made a few saves in this one.

At the end of the day, he's no Brad and for that fact no other goalkeeper we've had at Rovers would be fit to put on the Big Americans glove, but it will never take away from the fact that Enckelman is a sound keeper.

wat does him having a season-ticket has to do with rating a goal-keeper?

do you have to be a season-ticket holder to be able to rate blackburn players and does holding a season-ticket make you more of a fan??? just think about what your saying mate...

wat does him having a season-ticket has to do with rating a goal-keeper?

do you have to be a season-ticket holder to be able to rate blackburn players and does holding a season-ticket make you more of a fan??? just think about what your saying mate...

I see that you are upset by the comments made?? You are right everyone has the right to make an opinion on a player. If everyone had the same opinion there would be no point in having this messageboard.

your not getting my point... i dont care if he has different opinions... i care about what he said 'Are you even a season-ticket holder'

it just isn't right... a season-ticket holder isnt more of a fan than anyone... it just means they live close enough to attend games, it doesn't make the person more able of judging a player more than any rovers fan..

thats my point

i think enklemen will be out with brown sub... gunnar loaned out

You do have to feel sorry for the lad though and have to think that he is nervous for the future. I cant imagine many clubs ripping our doors off at the hinges for his signature.

I think I am right in saying that Enckleman has set up his own touring car team called "Team Enck", so maybe we will never see him play again!

your not getting my point... i dont care if he has different opinions... i care about what he said 'Are you even a season-ticket holder'

it just isn't right... a season-ticket holder isnt more of a fan than anyone... it just means they live close enough to attend games, it doesn't make the person more able of judging a player more than any rovers fan..

thats my point

Calm down sunshine! I'm on your side. Everyone has the right to make an opinion on a player season ticket holder or not.

hahaha alright... but i just want the guy who posted to get the point too :P anyways... we will have to see when the season starts who sits on the bench.. whether it'll be brown or gunnar... wat worries me is sparky buying brown last year then gunnar this year and both are very young... either one of them is gone or we wont have a experienced back up goal keeper.

I didn't just mean season-ticket holder, it was his nasty comment to a player that made me react so quickly.

What I did mean was a regular attender to Rovers games or indeed a person who watches 'football first' or all these live games on foreign channels. I just have a feeling that this poster would have been a person who read facts on Enckelmans time at Rovers and and made an opinion on how good he was.

I really doubt that this person who openly criticised Enckelman made the journey to Spurs or indeed went down to watch the cup game against Bournemouth and then to give out such as crap statement on how bad a keeper he was.

Will sit you a wee spelling exam at some stage. Really gets on my wcik!!

:blink:

i didnt really look at how to spell his name... but just next time dont write something like that... people will get the wrong idea (like i did)... try to write something more vague so people wont start bantering each other...

Gotta love it when people fight over a backup keeper.... Ah, the closed season!

He's not a @£$^ing back up keeper!!

:rolleyes:

Hows things with you these days American? Any plans of heading over next season along with this 'all-american' team!!

Well i´d call him the back up, back up keeper so true hes not actully the ¨back up¨keeper. :rolleyes:

I know this question isnt directed at me but i may be coming back this season in april. So if ever thing goes well ill be going to watch Rovers again...YAY!!!

Archived