BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brad's Replacement

As great as he is our own BFG (Big Freindly Giant) between the sticks is getting on a little now (36 is it now?), though you might not realise it looking at him, whilst our reserve keepers are all OK, I have not seen enough of them to know if they have the reactions and skills needed to make it in the prem.

The number one position is one we as fans/a club seem to have taken for granted due to Brads presence, skill and last week aside reliability...

So I open this question to the floor....

Who will attempt to fill the huge boots that will be left when Brad leaves/retire/joins keeping staff this or next summer?

Whom do we the fans want to take up the reins?

P.S. I would love Brad to stay fit and fast enough to play 'forever' but the thought of a 40/1/2/3.... year old between the sticks in the prem is just to surreal to contemplate.

Hughes and Rovers are bringing through plenty of young keepers and non of them have hit the standard they want yet.

After Brown's fleeting apperance last season i thought he would be the preferred candidate, however it now seems they are throwing Gunnar in to the scene.

Hughes and Rovers are bringing through plenty of young keepers and non of them have hit the standard they want yet.

After Brown's fleeting apperance last season i thought he would be the preferred candidate, however it now seems they are throwing Gunnar in to the scene.

Hughes has said that Nielsen isn't anywhere near a finished product. He has apparently played very little football, and is probably years away from the first team.

mmm not convinced! Brown was OK, but as I have said I have not seen any of the others play any standard as yet!

P.S. Please don't hijack this thread and contine the bashing/slagging off of individuals from other threds, I dislike the comments and opions of some of those who post here, but I try not to let their comments... bugger it just please grow up!

P.P.S. I'm a closet GWAR as well, so less of the bashing of the minorities please! :rolleyes:

Hughes has said that Nielsen isn't anywhere near a finished product. He has apparently played very little football, and is probably years away from the first team.

Correct and you wouldn't expect that at 20. Brad will be playing for another 2 or 3 seasons, in his own words. and that fits perfectly into the plan. Problem seems to be that keepers can get a good reputation young and then just fade away as they don't develop as they should.

RAF: The fact that Brown was almost sold in the summer doesn't bode well for his future with Rovers, but who knows. Things change quickly in football.

OK so those we have are hopes for the uncirtain future... What do we do if (god forbid) Brad does a chech, or breaks a leg etc...

It is all well and good firming up the midfield and the strike force, trying to steady the back four... but our lack of a dependable second string keeper really worries me at times!

From what I understand, it is Jason Brown's relative lack of inches which is the problem- I think he is 4 inches less in height compared with Brad. Over the course of a season that might equate to perhaps 5 goals conceded that Brad would have kept out.

Otherwise he is a top class keeper.

Enkleman is by no means awful, he is a good second choice keeper. I think that's the only reason he was given a contract extension. Brown also has shown that he may be good enough.

Problem is you will never get a top class keeper coming to rovers in order to sit on the bench. When you look at Fulham they have had to bring in Keller because Warner proved he wasn't good enough. However Keller isn't a fantastic keeper and would probably be happy with the odd game here and there.

I'd forgotten about Frank Fielding as well, he is a bright prospect but again being so young there is no way of telling how good he will turn out.

Not so sure that height is the problem, but agility.

Given isn't the biggest around, but he can throw himself around a bit and make some fine saves.

MH must see something in the keepers he's brought in, maybe he wants to see how they develop before committing.

Yeah, but like I said... I'm pretty good, but at 5'10" I have trouble reaching the top corner in a dive.

As good as brown is he is in no way as fast or springy as that tiny (I want to say mexican?) keeper from the world cup a while back, therefore he cannot live up to premier football! With the skill level of the out-field players such a weak spot would be exploited day in day out!

Don't get me wrong, I like the effort Brown put in on his one game... I don't think he is even close to replacing Brad!

OK Brad hopes to play for 2/3 seasons more... but should/can we bank on that?

Enkleman is by no means awful, he is a good second choice keeper. I think that's the only reason he was given a contract extension. Brown also has shown that he may be good enough.

Problem is you will never get a top class keeper coming to rovers in order to sit on the bench. When you look at Fulham they have had to bring in Keller because Warner proved he wasn't good enough. However Keller isn't a fantastic keeper and would probably be happy with the odd game here and there.

I'd forgotten about Frank Fielding as well, he is a bright prospect but again being so young there is no way of telling how good he will turn out.

That's very true. Brad's consistency makes us a particularly bad choice for a keeper.

I've no stats but if he's not the keeper (player, in fact) who's missed the fewest games he's very close to it.

There willinevitably be shots that a good big 'un will get to that a good middle-sized 'un won't reach irrespective of spring.

That will include situations where the keeper has to make himself "big" in one-on-ones.

My fear is that we will inevitably face a dimunition of Brad's ability. At some point hewill remain awesome but the odd mistake or slow reaction will creep in and undermine his game. Hopefully that is two or three years away. The Big man is in no way looking remotely heavy or leggy in the way that Lehmann does now look past it and Seaman did for about three years.

but should/can we bank on that?

You cannot say that about any player, as you never know what injury could be round the corner. That is why Enkleman is there, short term replacement until the transfer window opens and then Hughes would go out and buy someone, however that would then mean the youth keepers as they would have a new younger keeper to knock off top spot, rather than Brad who they know only has 2 or 3 seasons to go.

That's very true. Brad's consistency makes us a particularly bad choice for a keeper.

I've no stats but if he's not the keeper (player, in fact) who's missed the fewest games he's very close to it.

League Games

06/07: 38

05/06: 38

04/05: 38

03/04: 36

02/03: 37

He has missed 3 league games in 5 seasons!

Probably. He's started 116 straight premiership games, and the only game I can remember him missing through injury was 3-4 seasons back when he missed one game due to very minor knee surgery.

I can remember him missing through injury was 3-4 seasons back when he missed one game due to very minor knee surgery.

Brad had surgery once we were safe and missed the final 2 league games of the season. Spurs (away) and Brum (Home).

Not a bad record and it must help us so much to have stability at the back.

Brad had surgery once we were safe and missed the final 2 league games of the season. Spurs (away) and Brum (Home).

Not a bad record and it must help us so much to have stability at the back.

But this is my point! he is now what 36? Injuries and their severity increase with age. Yes Eck's is there as a back up but having spent so long on the bench and only playing for the reserves he can't be up to speed for the tempo of todays games!

OK I conceed that would be true for any keeper supporting Brad but my memories of seeing peter warming up last season, he had the resigned look of some one there waiting to move on and play 1st team football down the leagues. I want to see a keeper trowing himself about all the time in training and warmups trying to prove himself good enough and challenge brad for his place. Yes Brad is a stalwort, but every player should have annother on the bench breathing down his neck!

Yes Brad is a stalwort, but every player should have annother on the bench breathing down his neck!

I take the point but it's totally different for keepers to outfield players. Most other positions you can at least cover other positions on the field if need be. Keepers are trained to be at top form when they need it, maybe for that 1 moment in the game having done nothing for the other 89minutes. Enkleman wouldn't be at this level if he wasn't the same.

The lack of match form may be an concern but i'm sure that Hughes' coaching staff would have flagged it up as an issue and it would have been addressed by now. Along with your strikers it is the most important position on the field.

The keeper i feel most sorry for is Cudicini. He is one of the best in the league and yet he has to sit around at chelsea doing nothing for the vast majority of the season. Yet when called upon he still looks very sharp, it's a credit to the guy and his determination to do well. Most players would have moved on by now.

The fact that Brown was almost sold in the summer doesn't bode well for his future with Rovers, but who knows. Things change quickly in football.

Was he?

There wasnt a hint of any interest other than Mr Nixon saying that another club might be interested.

Im not convinced that is "nearly sold"

Im not convinced that is "nearly sold"

From what nicko hinted, had palace put in the £2m offer talked about then they wouldn't have stood in his way. Granted not nearly sold but hardly actions of a club sure that he will be of use in the future.

Well I wouldn't interpret it as us really wanting him out, or not believing in him. It's simply that £2m is a lot of money for a backup keeper, especially one acting as backup for one of the most consistent and least injury prone keepers in Europe. I mean if we can get an extra £2m and still have Encks (Who's about as capable a backup a club our size can have) on the bench then that would be a good deal unless Brown happened to be a truly exceptional talent. That being said, I thought he's looked good when I've seen him (Which isn't often at all) so I'm happy with him staying too.

Archived