BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Flickr

How's "pro" account? worth it?

Got it for free because my internet provider (BT) has some kind of partnership with Yahoo, who own Flickr. Not sure what the cost would be otherwise, and to be honest I haven't taken full advantage of the benefits yet.

It gets rid of any ads that you might see whilst browsing, gives me an unlimited number of bandwidth usage and uploads (as opposed to 200 pictures with the standard account, the only major benefit I can see), and I can have any number of sets/collections.

Remember once on Flickr you effectivly lose control of copyright of the photos - The Register see below

Filmmaker Damon Chang uploaded a family photograph of his young niece Alison to Flickr, only to discover weeks later that it was being used by Virgin Mobile in an expensive advertising campaign. Neither Alison Chang nor her youth counsellor Justin Wong, who took the photograph, have received compensation for the use of the image - having handed over the rights without realising it. Damon Chang used a licence which permits commercial reuse - and even derivative works to be made - without payment or permission of the photographer: Merely a credit will do to satisfy the terms of the licence.

Certainly not a problem if you apply a copyright, or a non-commercial, non-derivative creative commons license to your pictures, which I believe is possible here. There have been stories of copyright infringement via flickr, but I'd say there's a danger sharing any media online.

That particular flickr user does not seem to have understood the license settings they have applied to their pictures.

Anyone tried Picasa from Google? I think it's friendlier than flickr, not so cluttered in its design

Yes I use it.

Ideal when you have a lot of pictures stored and you want to find the right thumbnail and mail the picture off to someone.

I also have my Rovers' video clips on there but Picassa tends to corrupt video rather too easily. I have lost the pictures to quite a few of the clips and am just left with the commentary. It also wiped all my orchestral video clips.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived