BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Postal Dispute

yeah but for most domestic customers does it matter if its 9am or 2pm? not for me!

as for commercial operations .... well most stuff now is via email, anything legal or "urgent" is by courier so whats the problem?

Unfortunatley the postal service is in sorry state - rather like doorstep milk delivery and fish n chip shop. Something that happened fro several decades - a quaint thing that our grandchildren will chuckle at! The rubbish (replaced word!! blimey!) thing is that "bosses" try to make out that "workers" are lazy. Ever has the case been.

Just to cover their inefficiency in making sure the thing is set up properly. 'Twas ever thus, sadly, particularly in Government bankrolled services.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another point. We live in a fairly rural location, small village 5 miles out of Chorley. I know working practices in Royal Mail have changed and it has been noticeable deliveries have deteriorated in recent years. My impression, right or wrong, is the actual postie is chosing to deliver when the mail reaches a worthwhile level. My only evidence being 2 or 3 days a week we get a bundle of mail, the rest of the time nothing. If you want my support deliver a first class letter the next day, not when it suits.

Who are you talking to , Paul ? The postie or the management who manages them ? It's surely a sign of bad management if they can't modernise through consultation rather than the Dickensian means you seem to advocate . Other companies have managed it .....companies , that is , that have not been touched by the likes of Crozier . Why the hell do you think that deliveries have deteriorated ? Do you take responsibility if your business hits a bad patch or do you blame your workforce and try to cut their wages and force them to work longer ?

If the management win this struggle then you can probably wave goodbye to your local PO in your fairly rural location if you haven't already done so - (management or postie to blame ?) and any post you get delivered will by low paid workers who will have to work all hours to make a decent wage .

But you'll get your mail every day ....that's the main thing eh ?

I despair at the selfishness shown by many in this thread . The PO is (or was) one of the truly great institutions this country has ever produced . If the argument is that they should give in to wholesale privatisation "just because other industries have done so", and Paul and AlanK work in the private sector , then let's go the whole hog . Privatise the health service . Privatise the army . Let every man and woman , sick or healthy , old or young , look after himself in the market place .

Guest fernhurstblue
Who are you talking to , Paul ? The postie or the management who manages them ? It's surely a sign of bad management if they can't modernise through consultation rather than the Dickensian means you seem to advocate . Other companies have managed it .....companies , that is , that have not been touched by the likes of Crozier . Why the hell do you think that deliveries have deteriorated ? Do you take responsibility if your business hits a bad patch or do you blame your workforce and try to cut their wages and force them to work longer ?

If the management win this struggle then you can probably wave goodbye to your local PO in your fairly rural location if you haven't already done so - (management or postie to blame ?) and any post you get delivered will by low paid workers who will have to work all hours to make a decent wage .

I despair at the selfishness shown by many in this thread . The PO is (or was) one of the truly great institutions this country has ever produced . If the argument is that they should give in to wholesale privatisation "just because other industries have done so", and Paul and AlanK work in the private sector , then let's go the whole hog . Privatise the health service . Privatise the army . Let every man and woman , sick or healthy , old or young , look after himself in the market place .

at least it would get rid of the state care from craddle to grave attitude of an every growing percentage of the population :angry:

Hear Hear and whilst we're at it lets re-instate those other great institutions that this country produced........... the lamplighters and the knockeruppers as well as the tooth pulling hairdressers and town criers!

Another point. We live in a fairly rural location, small village 5 miles out of Chorley. I know working practices in Royal Mail have changed and it has been noticeable deliveries have deteriorated in recent years. My impression, right or wrong, is the actual postie is chosing to deliver when the mail reaches a worthwhile level. My only evidence being 2 or 3 days a week we get a bundle of mail, the rest of the time nothing. If you want my support deliver a first class letter the next day, not when it suits.

Paul, might I ask where "your impression" has come from.

My experience of working with "posties" is that the only post they are permitted to leave it the sorting office is the mailsort, on the dyas where they have their 3.5hours walk completed. And even that can only be left 24 hours.

The sorting office manager might have decided that the post for PRXXXXXX can only be sorted once a day, but the street pounder cannot control that.

Hear Hear and whilst we're at it lets re-instate those other great institutions that this country produced........... the lamplighters and the knockeruppers as well as the tooth pulling hairdressers and town criers!

Heck sometimes you do come up with good ideas. That would relieve the shortage of NHS dentists..............or would it, :rolleyes: £8 to trim my solar panel, :angry:

Paul, might I ask where "your impression" has come from.

My experience of working with "posties" is that the only post they are permitted to leave it the sorting office is the mailsort, on the dyas where they have their 3.5hours walk completed. And even that can only be left 24 hours.

The sorting office manager might have decided that the post for PRXXXXXX can only be sorted once a day, but the street pounder cannot control that.

I have the impression, and I stress it is an impression because I don't know, that sorting policies where changed in the last 2-3 years? Again I have the impression each postie is now more responsible for sorting his / her mail or organising the round than prior to this change. Since the change I have noticed we get bundles of post every 2-3 days leaving me with the feeling mail is "stockpiled" in some way before it is delivered. I don't know if it's true, I don't know who is responsible, it's simply the impression I have gained recently. I'm probably totally wrong but it's what i feel, as a member of the public.

So before someone decides to crucify me let me be absolutely clear it is simply what I observe coming through my post box. I have no other criteria for judging this.

I'll respond to this later, right now I'm going down the Cowley Road to an imigrant restaurant.

I have noticed that since the strike finished my postal service is actually earlier and on a couple of mornings my post has arrived before I've set off for work. That's a far cry from the recent past when it was usually about midday. I used to have an extremely poor opinion of postal workers, partly as a result of my post going AWOl and I knew a complete chimp was was a postie, but in the last two years or so I've really come to value the two posties who usually deliver my mail.

Consequently, all postal staff (except for the people on the parcel collection counter at Canterbury St) are redeemed in my eyes and they have taken a great stride up the evolutionary scale when they had been in grave danger of sinking to the levels of the true cretinous jobs of taxi drivers and bus drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

Smart answer No 1 coming up..............

Can you rem when you were a kid at school and the teachers and your parents implored you to study hard, do extra homework and pass all your exams with top marks if you wanted a good career? And you thought 'sod em they know nowt, schoolworks bloody boring' and you continued to pratt about and underachieve with your mates for the rest of your school days....?

Cos I do to! :(

Archived