BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Yesterday I Went Down The Range

:rover: After watching junior play togger yesterday in ossy we made our way to mill hill down AUDLEY RANGE.I was brought up on audley range,my dad was the landlord of THE AUDLEY RANGE HOTEL,the pub is long gone,as is the church directly across from it,for years i could never understand why a great building and a lovely church was demolished PICTURE HEAR Now i know a bloody mosque is being built there :brfcsmilie:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe because most people have grown out of the old fashioned idea that we need to prostrate to God three times a day, although there are always some with blinkers.

I just can't understand why otherwise rational people feel the need to 'devote' large portions of their lives, and their money, to a mythical being.

I appreciate what you feel Waggy, but memories & fond remembrance don't really play a part in preserving old buildings.

Most Victorian churches were built to order (a sort of B & Q kitchen of today) and very few of them have any architecturally redeeming features. If they had, then English Heritage would get them listed and preserved.

If it's just another bog-standard church then personal memories don't play a part. We move on, we re-build for 2007.

What gets planning permission to get built on the site is a different subject altogether. It could be houses, it could be a small industrial estate, it could be another Tesco. Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council has presumably decided that a mosque is OK under planning guidelines. The application is in and it's been granted.

Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council has presumably decided that a mosque is OK under planning guidelines. The application is in and it's been granted.

Dont know why, we hardly need any more compared to our neighbouring towns do we? Check it out here ........ http://www.lancashiremosques.com/mosque_directory.asp

I wonder how the planning guidelines work in the rest of Lancashire?

Dont know why, we hardly need any more compared to our neighbouring towns do we? Check it out here ........ http://www.lancashiremosques.com/mosque_directory.asp

I wonder how the planning guidelines work in the rest of Lancashire?

thats a massive list compared to t`others :blink:

They built another mosque not so long ago near preston new road, now that is massive, the onion is very dominating

I dont understand how these buildings get planning permission, how do they fit in with the local architecture. Why cant they just be built like normal buildings

Maybe because most people have grown out of the old fashioned idea that we need to prostrate to God three times a day, although there are always some with blinkers.

I just can't understand why otherwise rational people feel the need to 'devote' large portions of their lives, and their money, to a mythical being.

I envy your conviction and the certainty you seem to have around how it (we) all started. Personally, I'm reasonably educated and am prepared to accept as a matter of faith that some greater being - call him/her God or Allah if you like - started the whole evolution thing off. I just can't understand why otherwise rational people feel the need to impress upon rational believers that it's all down to some elaborate chemical reaction that started on an infinitesimally (sic?) small level several million years ago. If that's rational, I'll get my coat!

Just a thought - and this is not aimed at Friarsnig as he/she does not show it - but is it possible that the growing lack of respect/tolerance for different beliefs (as displayed with great aplomb on this MB at times), be they creationist, evolutionist or big bang, is at the heart of many of our modern ills? Or was it always like that and just accepted that the majority took precedence and the rest were tolerated as long as they didn't get too pushy?

I'm straying onto dangerous ground, so had better stop - I just took exception to the notion that I am a half-wit for believing in a so-called mythical being when it is equally preposterous to ascribe some intellectual superiority to believing in a random collection of chemical reactions.

dealt with hopefully.

Guys if a shop wasnt being used and got demolished you wouldnt complain, a church like this is nothing special, and the reason why a mosque can be built there is 1) there's the demand for one and 2) the land use is probably set as "Religious use" or what ever the classification is, and therefore its much easier to build a place of worship than get the land use changed to something useful, like a hand carwash or whatever.

If churches arent being used, then unless they are of some architectual or historical merit, then they shouldnt be exempt from being demolished, and its up for local residents to object to anything else that gets put up in its place, all you moaning, I bet none of you bother your arses to go down to the local planning committee to raise your objections,

I'm straying onto dangerous ground, so had better stop - I just took exception to the notion that I am a half-wit for believing in a so-called mythical being when it is equally preposterous to ascribe some intellectual superiority to believing in a random collection of chemical reactions.

Those random chemical equations are much more likely than a "supreme being" chosing this insignificant rock in the arse end of this galaxy to become his plaything.

Still we wont know who's right until we snuff it, hopefully after a long and fruitfull life.

dealt with hopefully.

Guys if a shop wasnt being used and got demolished you wouldnt complain, a church like this is nothing special, and the reason why a mosque can be built there is 1) there's the demand for one and 2) the land use is probably set as "Religious use" or what ever the classification is, and therefore its much easier to build a place of worship than get the land use changed to something useful, like a hand carwash or whatever.

If churches arent being used, then unless they are of some architectual or historical merit, then they shouldnt be exempt from being demolished, and its up for local residents to object to anything else that gets put up in its place, all you moaning, I bet none of you bother your arses to go down to the local planning committee to raise your objections,

Like the man says there is a demand for a place of worship from the local residents. The design may be crap but the demand is perfectly valid. As for the local planning committee, the same arses are equally reluctant to go to church because it's not rational, apparently! Is there a correlation between the increasing secularity of our indigenous population and the shift in moral values that tie communities together and stop teenagers beating up 90-year old ladies to get the cash to snort a few lines in preference to going to work because there is a right but no matching responsibility in this secular value system?

Those random chemical equations are much more likely than a "supreme being" chosing this insignificant rock in the arse end of this galaxy to become his plaything.

Still we wont know who's right until we snuff it, hopefully after a long and fruitfull life.

Good call - maybe we should leave it there as you hit the nail on the head. See you in hell, boy but only after that long and fruitful stuff, hopefully!

Isn't religious faith more to do with belief than rationality?

Isn't all belief the product of some rationality that takes the individual to that belief? Don't see the implicit separation of belief and rationality that you are making, to be honest.

Isn't all belief the product of some rationality that takes the individual to that belief? Don't see the implicit separation of belief and rationality that you are making, to be honest.

Let heretics be heretics and bible bashers be bible bashers I say. Let us all just get along. :mellow:

Or indeed attending regular services at that church.

Most belief but not all. For example, most people believe that they have free will but this cannot be 'proved' rationally, I would suggest. After all, surely the free will requires you to have determined the factors that affect your choices in life, and massive factors like genetics and environment are independent from you. If your choices in life are affected by the genes that have been passed onto you - are you truly in control of what decisions you make?

Guest Dik Bleek

Forget the religious rubbish, the point is classic buildings should be preserved, if a new churh is built today it has no class, just like the mosques that are built in the UK concrete with a bright green balloon on the roof. I remember when I was a lad in Blackburn there used to be a classic Victorian Arcade in the centre with a snooker hall beneath it, the last time I visited Blackburn it was covered by a giant concrete toilet or as the locals call it a shopping centre!

Archived