BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Marketing.

Alan75

It would have been ideal to devlop the 'Blackburn Rovers brand' in 1995 but I don't believe people knew then just how successful the Premier League would become and how much money would be in the game in 10 years time due to TV money and sponsorship money.

The great thing about Indias economy is that it's expected to boom in years to come and Goldman Sachs (world's largest global investment banks) predicts that India will become the 3rd largest economy of the world behind US and China. A lot of people think of India being in poverty but in the last 20 years it's percentage of population below the poverty line has halved and still dropping at a good rate. I don't think football playing 2nd fiddle to cricket is a bad thing because there are many countries which favour other sports above England but it doesn't mean that football wouldn't be successful. Correct me if i'm wrong but Chinas most popular sports include Basketball and Table tennis.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject might be able to say whether it's a good idea or not but as a fan i'm hoping Rovers can remain competing with the best of the clubs in the Premier League.

Basketball and Table tennis are the most popular at the moment in China, but with a population of 1.4 billion there is plenty of scope.

Plus the Chinese in general want just about anything from Europe that has a brand, but that does not mean it has to be mainstream, for example the Dunhill brand is seen by many Chinese as being very desirable even though it is not widely promoted and there are many more cases which someone from the west probably would not understand why.

The Rovers could place themselves in the niche sector and do very well as the niche sector in Asia would probably be 100 times greater than in Europe.

The Rovers brand would have a lot going for it, History, tradition, recent sucess and the best football strip in the world. Our kit is just unique and cannot be mistaken for anyone else.

:rover:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I might have worded it wrong but basically before TV deals were the norm, the only way to see your team was to attend the game yourself as we didn't have TV or the internet to rely on being able to watch games. Nowadays you can see more of the game by watching it on TV than when you're at the game due to the multi-angles and the many cameras being able to pick up every incident that happens and then an indepth analysis of the incidents from experts in the game.

Dear god. I admit I occasionally watch matches on TV, even Rovers ones if I can't get there, but it's no substitute for being there. It isn't even as if you're learning anything with the standard of commentating and punditry. I was at Anfield yesterday but also taped the Sky coverage so that I could check any incidents for myself. Now try looking at all the comments that were made on this thread by people immediately after the match - almost universally negative, reflecting what a lot of them had been told on TV.

In the end we were well beaten, primarily because we gave the ball away three times when we shouldn't have. But remember, for all we didn't play well, we should have a goal with the Roberts offside and may well have had one if Skrtel hadn't stopped him in the second half. If Liverpool are that good and we played so badly how come it was still only 1-0 with 8 minutes to go and Friedel did not have a save to make apart from the goals? I thought for an hour we defended fairly solidly but we were being squeezed and denied space by Liverpool which was leading a stalemate. Consequently Liverpool had all the possession but did little or nothing with it, until they got a bit of space after the first goal and we had to push forward a bit more.

• Backroom

Nice job for you there then Yoda.. next time you're out in China - promote Blackburn Rovers :) who knows? if you get in on the ground floor you could make a killing as an agent ;)

Dear god. I admit I occasionally watch matches on TV, even Rovers ones if I can't get there, but it's no substitute for being there.

Without doubt you're 100% right. Being at a game is the best feeling in the world but unfortunately football is too expensive to watch a live game nowadays if you're going with your family, especially for fans who don't live in Blackburn. For the Pompey game next week at Fratton Park i'm still undecided whether to go. My girlfriend lives 20 minutes away yet for 2 tickets it will cost us £70 or we can watch it for free in a pub and keep £70 to pay for bills and food. Pre-TV deal, I could have watched the same game for a few quid. Unfortunately, tickets will only get higher and higher.

Anyway, this is going on a total different subject to the thread so sorry admins & mods! :D

Nice job for you there then Yoda.. next time you're out in China - promote Blackburn Rovers :) who knows? if you get in on the ground floor you could make a killing as an agent ;)

I always promote the Rovers when abroad, last time in China I had my empire stikes back t shirt with me, along with other items that had been requested.

Finding the time is the problem at the moment, but I know a couple of people who are interested in China, and one in India, also getting the club suitably interested might be a problem. (licensing etc products at the right price)

But hey officialdom has never stopped me before!

:rover:

• 2 weeks later...
And are you not going to renew?

No, don't have the money at the moment and don't know where I will be living next year yet. I'm graduating in June, and it all depends on where I get a job. Ideally it will be in north west somewhere around Chester, Liverpool or Manchester, my girlfriend lives in Chester at the moment and planning to move in with her in august when her contract is up and don't know how much time I will have going to Ewood every other weekends. Another factor is that me and my girlfriend might go to Australia for 6 months or so as well. I might get a season ticket in August though, when I've hopefully have got a job and know where I will be living.

Sorry for the essay. But I think I've justified turning down Brad this morning ;)

Archived