BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Could We Have Nike Shirt Manufacturers Next Season?

Hot off the newslines its been announced Nike has bought out Umbro (of course who bought out Lonsdale), personally I think this would be great as I've always liked the Nike kits. Given our tradition of always having really rubbish kit manufacturers this would be very welcome from where I sit!

news link: http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articl...13-22678566.htm

Lots of companies like to have a range of brands. Adidas own Reebok for instance but you don't see Bolton playing in Adidas kit or at the Adidas arena. SWI own brands like Lonsdale, Donnay, Dunlop and Slazenger, they've not merged all them into one have they?

It was mentioned ages ago when Nike were in the process of purchasing shares in Umbro that they saw Umbro as a very strong brand, well you don't give up on something like that without reason.

Rovers will be in Umbro kit for the next season thats for sure and a couple more after that as I seem to recall it being a four-year term

It would be about time. As someone mentioned on here about five years ago Stanley have had Nike for well over 25 years now as their shirt sponsors. This is mainly due to their popularity in the Far East where they sell upwards of 250,000 shirts a season at a fiver a pop. If Rovers could tap into the unknown economic backwater that is China we could be out there right now bidding for the likes of Marlon King and Fat Andy Reid. So come on Nike, let’s have it, stick one of those ticks on our shirts for 2008/09.

Laters and that.

It would be about time. As someone mentioned on here about five years ago Stanley have had Nike for well over 25 years now as their shirt sponsors. This is mainly due to their popularity in the Far East where they sell upwards of 250,000 shirts a season at a fiver a pop. If Rovers could tap into the unknown economic backwater that is China we could be out there right now bidding for the likes of Marlon King and Fat Andy Reid. So come on Nike, let’s have it, stick one of those ticks on our shirts for 2008/09.

Laters and that.

So....is it on Eurosport?

Laters and that.

where do you get your numbers from? haha, after living so long in SE Asia, nobody absolutely gives two hoots bout the rovers, never mind accrington stanley. and i cant really see anyone openly supporting the villa or increased support for them in my country even with their claret nike uniform.. most are still rooted to the big four plus the occasional spurs, everton and barcodes supporters. oh and here a villa jersey will set you back at least S$95 (slightly more than 30 pounds), it doesnt really cost a 'fiver'..

where do you get your numbers from? haha, after living so long in SE Asia, nobody absolutely gives two hoots bout the rovers, never mind accrington stanley. and i cant really see anyone openly supporting the villa or increased support for them in my country even with their claret nike uniform.. most are still rooted to the big four plus the occasional spurs, everton and barcodes supporters. oh and here a villa jersey will set you back at least S$95 (slightly more than 30 pounds), it doesnt really cost a 'fiver'..

Whoooooosh!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Nike have an arrangement with a UK distributor who is entitled to put the Nike logo on certain club shirts. Fulham is such a club, as is Accy. Villa is a more traditional club deal direct between Nike and the club. As is Arsenal.

Umbro as I understand it will continue to trade in its own right just as part of the Nike family of brands. They also have Converse, Hurley, Bauer Hockey, Starter and Cole Haan as other brands.

Umbro is to be their authentic football brand so I would be amazed if they took the Umbro logo off the shirt. You might also want to look at how much a Nike shirt costs to buy compared to an Umbro shirt.

By the way - the people that I have spoken to in the game all say that the Umbro kit is technically the most advanced and out performs any of the Nike kits hands down.

Have you noticed their kit sponsor for 2003-2004? Is that even allowed?!

Wirral council sponsored Tranmere for ages. I guess it's allowed but I'd be hacked off to see my council tax £££ being spent on a football club (including Rovers) - they're supposed to be businesses after all.

The Hollands Pies sponsored Stanley shirt is an all time classic. Mate of mine had one and was very proud of it.

Archived