BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Local Knowledge Required

I'm due to make the annual journey up north to Ewood Park for the Man Utd game and we've decided to make an evening of it and I'd appreciate some info on some of the local bars to sample (and to avoid!) rather than just looking at list of addresses on a website. Or is it a case of travelling to the neighbouring towns?

I've had a quick scan through the info in the travel section but that seems more for pubs around match time.

Cheers for any info!

Not much help but I always head to the Aquaduct and the Postal Order before the game for a few beers. After the match I hang round to get into the Blues Bar.

Being a big girl I am ready for my bed by the time I leave there :lol:

Good tip for you - go to Darwen for an indian maybe, then maybe go into blackburn at night. Avoid the likes of Accy or Darwen.

If you dont fancy a poor night then maybe go to manchester after the game or better still liverpool docks.

If you like a more relaxed night watching a live band, I enjoyed the Woodlands on Saturday night when I was there for a Sunday match.

"Relaxed" American! :o It's always far too bloody loud in there! Relaxing maybe if you cannot be bothered talking to, people / discussing the match then fine cos conversation is killed as soon as you walk through the doors when a live band is on. I wonder what landlords think they are achieving when they look around and see about a dozen people listening to the band whilst there is a steady flow of punters in the background heading for the exits.

I must say to their credit that they do get some talented bands in there, but the volume and effect would be much better if they were playing on the bus turnaround 100yds away. The beer prices do appear to reflect the costs of having live bands btw. No live music and cheaper beer might be a better way forward.

I've often wondered why music has to be played so loud. Many of the bands who accompany singers play so loud you can't hear the singers properly and I've noticed a trend for that in recorded music. It even happens on tv talent type programmes. Is it me or does no one else notice?

Cheers for the info.

I'm off to Preston tomorrow night, haven't been for a couple of years, but I'll let you know what its like.

Have you booked hotels yet?

No hotels booked yet, although I was thinking of just grabbing a room at the travelodge just off the motorway. Short walk to the ground and (I'm guessing) a short taxi ride into town in the evening. But it's nearly double the price of B&B's that are dotted around.

"Relaxed" American! :o It's always far too bloody loud in there! Relaxing maybe if you cannot be bothered talking to, people / discussing the match then fine cos conversation is killed as soon as you walk through the doors when a live band is on. I wonder what landlords think they are achieving when they look around and see about a dozen people listening to the band whilst there is a steady flow of punters in the background heading for the exits.

You can tell when some people are getting old :!:

Not many pubs in blackburn are good unless you are a local to them, but if there is a group of you then id head into town then a club if thats your thing. But if you want out of town , definetly preston, top dogs, it has 10x the clubs blackburn has and very lively bars

I must say to their credit that they do get some talented bands in there, but the volume and effect would be much better if they were playing on the bus turnaround 100yds away. The beer prices do appear to reflect the costs of having live bands btw. No live music and cheaper beer might be a better way forward.

So, I'm guessing you aren't the guy I was talking to in there that was complaining about how the asians are ruining Blackburn?!?

Music might be a little loud, but the atmosphere was a little more laid back, compared to if someone wanted to go clubbing.

So, I'm guessing you aren't the guy I was talking to in there that was complaining about how the asians are ruining Blackburn?!?

No sorry American it could have been absolutely anybody ;) but in this instance it wasn't me.

Archived