BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rhodes

Abbey its a great place been twice.

You have got to go to Rhodes Town, there are some cracking bars near the cemetery in the middle of the road.

You have to visit the wellington bar in the old town, serves great beet in welly boot shaped glasses.

You have to visit the sports bar in Ixia, you wont be able to miss it and has a 6ft Union Rovers Jack on the ceiling.

You have to stay clear of Faliraki with the kids in tow, they might get nicked when your drunk !!

I went there about five years ago and it is good advice to stay away from Falaraki unless you want to get drunk with a load of kids. There was a bit of a crackdown on late night bars when I was there as well as there had been some incidents. Didn´t think it was really worth the bother.

In Rhodes Town it was less busy but more relaxed and easier to chill out. The action is all around Bar Street in Rhodes Town and there seemed to be a lot of Scandinavians around which was fine as they seemed a friendly bunch not averse to a good drink.

In the daytime there are a load of shops to walk around and for sightseeing there is a harbour where the Colossus used to stand and a huge castle to walk around from the time of the Crusaders. Turkey is only a short distance away as well if you want to pop over for a day.

The beaches were fantastic at times and the weather was perfect. Hot but with a cooling breeze...at least on the coast. Nice island and you should have a great time.

Ialyssos - isn't that just down the road from Ixia?

The bar 1864 mentioned is the FBI bar. Nowt to do with Police, it stands for finest bar in Ixia, - and it is. Great bar with great staff. Rhodes town at night is great Abbey, was there last September.

I was in Rhodos the day the twin towers fell, that was a fun journey home the day after.

I didn't find Falarki as bad as it sounds, it's fine if you stay away from the imaginatively name Bar Street and Club Street, lots of much quieter bars away from the kids on the outskirts.

Rhodes Town was pretty good though, I think if I wen't back, that's where I stay.

I'm now wanting a Cleftiko or a Stefado again :)

Was in Rhodes - admittedly a few years ago now - and stayed south of Lindos. Good place ... but then hired a bike and went down to the Southern tip of the island ... found completely deserted beaches. Literally one beach was a bay with at least half mile of completely empty beach - and it was the height of the season. May not be the same now but if it is would go back tomorrow.

Roads can be dodgy so car is probably safer than bike ... but, eh!!!!

I was in Kalamata last May for a family wedding. F***ing hated the place - grotty, derelict landscape (I'm not talking about ancient ruins) and unpleasantly warm. The islands are supposed to be very nice though. I don't however imagine the driving is any better there than on the mainland :huh:.

Abbey, Den I actually stayed in the hotel driectly behind the bar and watched Rovers slam wham for 7 in there. Check out the pics on the walls and let them know your a Rovers fan. Big discounts on beer :rolleyes:

Was in there almost every night for a week last sept, Watched the Chelsea away match there.

The barman is a great guy.

i read its a 10 min walk to a good beach den.pool looks good tho.

You're a bit further down than I was Abbey, so there might be a good beach there. It was a stony beach where we were, but like you, we had a good pool and that was great.

• 2 months later...

great place..waza never found the bar.

rhodes town is great expensive but good ,the old town was fantastic and had a couple of great meals there.Id reccomend the "captains garden".

we hired a car and drove all over,has anyone driven down the road to fourni beach...pooped my speedos driving down.We watched the planes land in the water filling up for the fires.

the waterpark ,although hilly and a killer is a must.

man i miss mythos and ouzo.

My first holiday abroad was in Rhodes town back in the 80s. The place was jumping.

I remember it was bloody hot day & night (No aircon in the hotel back then)

Did the strong wind get up every afternoon around 4 or 5 o'clock and blow everything away?

great place..waza never found the bar.

rhodes town is great expensive but good ,the old town was fantastic and had a couple of great meals there.Id reccomend the "captains garden".

we hired a car and drove all over,has anyone driven down the road to fourni beach...pooped my speedos driving down.We watched the planes land in the water filling up for the fires.

the waterpark ,although hilly and a killer is a must.

man i miss mythos and ouzo.

sorry to hear that Abs, you couldnt really miss it in Ixia.

Glad you survived. we missed the hurricane in the Caribbean and flew back to the Ewood storm :unsure:

Archived