BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's Thread

We needed a right winger but we're not the only ones. Newcastle were after one too. There are none around that want to leave the clubs they are at and the others are too expensive. I don't blame Ince for that or JW and the board. That is the state of the game and wasting money on players is poor business and paying way over the odds because you 'need' something is plainly the silliest thing you can do, once you've done it everyone expects you to do it again!

Alan Judge might well be the answer, we'll have to wait and see. I am disappointed but I can't blame the people who obviously tried to do deals if the deals that were being offered were stupid money deals. Hold on to it and try again in Jan. Will we have a hard time down the right because of it? No doubt we will but maybe, just maybe, we can find a gem in Judge and even Bert Mk4 will step up.

The rule is always don't pay silly money for average players. Pennant is only average, he has the potential to be more but...

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed.

I can't think of any other club where the supporters would have put up with the lack of financial support for the manager(s) with barely a murmur of dissent.

I now feel the Trustees are stretching the good will generated from the association with Uncle Jack to the absolute limit.

piffle

Let's try & be sensible, and not get caught up in the lunacy and eccentricity of the transfer window.

For all we know, City could have come in and snapped Roque up - we may never know. If that had happened, would it have been Ince's fault?

Whilst it's disappointing we didn't get a right winger in, I'm thinking we would have been more disappointed if we'd panic bought. Sometimes in life, as in business, football, whatever, you just have to accept it's not your day. Some you win, some you lose. I'm sure Rovers did all they could, within their criteria and MO, and sometimes you just have to take a punt - or hope. It's not just Rovers that have been left caught short - other clubs such as Wigan (Campbell) & Spurs (Berbatov) etc proved ultimately powerless & finally fruitless.

One thing I'm certain of is this - Rovers didn't just 'toss this off' and let it flounder. They set out their stall, and for whatever reason it didn't come off. I'm a bit unclear as to why, but here's my guess.

We were certain we were getting a player last night - 2 different members of Rovers staff said as much at Morecambe last night. Medical staff on standby, bloods etc. This was all well after Bunn had signed, and indeed the Holman thing broke down - so what happened? We'll probably never know, clearly wasn't to be. However, it wasn't for the want of trying.

For all we know Karl Robinson may have rung in and reported Judgey was playing so well on the RHS to hold the horses? Maybe they were stalling on blowing the bank on Pennant (correct move)?

Of course it's a let down, no-one could sensibly argue otherwise. Time will only tell if it's the right decision. I don't think it's one person/party's fault - not Ince, not the Trustees, not JW. It's a collective set-up in charge of our club, they worked together and clearly had the courage of their convictions - even if it doesn't pander to fans wishes. Given the frantic witterings on here, perhaps we should applaud some clarity of thinking.

For all we know, Robinho was coming here before he got the offer his bank manager couldn't refuse :rolleyes:

piffle

Surely you can't be happy with the prospect of watching Bert or Reidy on the right wing for the next few months?! It's not as though Bentley left on Friday or anything. That position should have been addressed and should have had money thrown at it.

Still we shall see. Maybe Judge? Although it's a bit early to Judge Judge at the moment.

Surely you can't be happy with the prospect of watching Bert or Reidy on the right wing for the next few months?! It's not as though Bentley left on Friday or anything. That position should have been addressed and should have had money thrown at it.

Still we shall see. Maybe Judge? Although it's a bit early to Judge Judge at the moment.

We've got a reputation as one of the best run clubs in the country.

Why would we change that by 'throwing money at it' if we weren't completely happy with what was on offer?

Puffed and puzzled.

Historic day.

Sadly Rovers had no part in it...unless we have all missed something.

Enough is enough for now.

Had to bite my tongue on some things over the past few months and I don't like that.

Taking a back seat for a wee while.

Have a good season.

Cheers Nicko...

Archived