BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Flags Being Put Up On Lamp Posts

Gav

Its a great idea this.

I lost count of the amount of people that have said Tugay should have some sort of lasting tribute, either his name somewhere in the stadium, like the do in the NFL, with the dates he played for us. Or better still his picture attached to either a lamp post next to the ground or on a flag above one of the stands.

Paint all the lamp posts blue and white and celebrate the fact we've got a very successful football team in the town. Blackburn has very little to shout about, but the football club is one thing we are very proud of.

Couldn't agree more about the council getting involved more. You'd sometimes think they're doing more to distance themselves from the football club than actually embracing it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is definitely a good idea. I can imagine something similar to what they have outside Goodison Park with all the banners and flags etc. I think the section of Bolton Road from the Darwen exit is also a great area that could be decorated in blue and white but still remain relatively unspoilt.

There certainly needs to be more 'celebration' of the club in the town.

The street lighting is the responsibility of BwD Council as it is the highway authority. It has probably given permission for Rovers to use the street lighting to use the columns to hang the banners.

I'm a little rusty on this, but I think the banners will be time-limited before they need planning permission (PP) to be made permanent. So Rovers will have to apply for PP if it wants to make the displays permanent.

It's a bit like those signs & banners you might see advertising a new housing development, or an event which will happen in a few weeks' time.

I don't think BwD will allow the street lamps & road signs poles to be blue & white. They are there simply to support the lamps & signs and to be unobtrusive.

This idea needs to go to Graham Burgess the Chief exec of Blackburn Council. The previous CX is still a Rovers season ticket holder and he needs to be added to the list as a go-between. However John Williams and/or Tom Finn really need to be having regular meetings about the role of Rovers and Football in the Economic Development of east lancashire/Pennine Lancs (where Blackburn w D Council are easily the 'intellectual' leaders).There is plenty of goodwill but not enough action. I can offer limited support when in fatherland(my season ticket was used 15 times but only 3 times by me!)

On a completely different note, I'd love us to have a banners culture, alike to that in the Stretford End!

We've been here before and the club would lose advertising revenue if they did this - I presume you mean between the upper and lower tier of the BBE ..... I think it would be great, but money talks i'm afraid!

This idea needs to go to Graham Burgess the Chief exec of Blackburn Council. The previous CX is still a Rovers season ticket holder and he needs to be added to the list as a go-between. However John Williams and/or Tom Finn really need to be having regular meetings about the role of Rovers and Football in the Economic Development of east lancashire/Pennine Lancs (where Blackburn w D Council are easily the 'intellectual' leaders).There is plenty of goodwill but not enough action. I can offer limited support when in fatherland(my season ticket was used 15 times but only 3 times by me!)

Who is the previous CX and do you have any contact details? I am even busier with my workload than I was when I first tried to get this going, but I am passionate about it and want to try to make it work because I think the results would be fantastic.

Without being an expert on things like planning laws I am sure that we couldnt just put up what we want, but the fact that this is BwD and not Lancahire County Council surely gives the club even more weight and position, in relative terms, and to a degree if the council want something to happen, or are pressured to feel that being seen as not backing the club would not be politically astute (given that 20,000 Rovers fans is a pretty large blue and white chunk of voting demographic in theory) I am sure things could be done.

One point raised at the Fans Forum about this was that the theme could even start at Darwen St bridge, almost like the start of the path to Ewood Park from town. Possibly a little ambitious, but who knows, nothing wrong with aiming big. I am also fairly sure that local firms would see it as a decent advertising opportunity which would help cover the costs...all ideas floating round in my head at the moment, some maybe good, some maybe not, but it would be great if something could be done...as I said earlier, I am pretty sure that John Williams wants to seem some initiative take place outside of the club, if significant steps are made I know for a fact we would have the clubs support.

Archived