BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Cricket (tests, Odi's And 20/20)

Don't know if I can really be bothered anymore to be honest mate. Australia lose one test IN India and already the doom and gloom merchants are out in force, not only in overseas papers but also in ours. Actually saw someone the other day comment that Australia can't win another test unless Ponting is sacked as Captain. Not just in India, but ever.

India have had their golden generation, there are some quality quality players coming through but for all of sudden everyone to say they are going to be the dominant force is crazy. They have had to be TBH probably 4 or 5 of the best batsmen in the last twenty years come through and in the scheme of things achieved little.

Before we write Hadden off I think we need to give him some time, at least wait and see how he plays against the kiwi's, if he fails then so be it, we have a very capable keeper batsman in Luke Ronchi waiting for his chance.

Yeah, fair point. With Kumble already gone and Ganguly and VVS either retiring after this test, or after the next series, I do understand what you mean. Tendulkar should be gone after the next series with England at home. The Indians have only been playing well (away from home) in the last 4 years or so..

You heard someone saying that Ponting should be dropped as captain?!? :wacko: That person hasn't NFI on Aus cricket. I for one, do not subscribe to the 'doom & gloom merchant monthly', when it comes to the future of Aus cricket. One area that does concern me, is the spin dept... mind you we have been spoilt over the last 15 years... I am a little miffed that, Cullen (1), Hauritz (1), Casson (1) and now Krejza (1) have only been given a handful of games in total...

Re: Haddin - I was on the three test WI tour, back in May & June this year (Barbados is the best venue for test circket IMO, they actually have a pool in the stadium) and I am still not overly impressed with his from with both bat & gloves. I do agree the guy has talenta dn should be given more time, but he is so frustrating to watch.. I mean his first class record is very good.

Maybe you're right dave and he is trying to hard to fill the shoes of Gilly.. :unsure:

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aus's total dominence is over, i see a few years of aus, sa, india and england all being there or there abouts in the 2 longer forms of the game

:blink::lol:

No offence Flopsy, but SA and India I'll agree with you, but based on your current form, it will be a while before England will be 'there or there abouts' in world dominance of the test arena.

ICC Test rankings as at 29th October;

---------------Matches-Points-Rating

1. Australia------26----3597---138

2. South Africa--34----3953---116

3. India----------35----3819---109

4. Sri Lanka-----28----3032---108

5. England-------38----3965---104

In other news, 'Beefy' has started to stoke the fires.. Botham on the upcoming Ashes series in England

Btw - The England squad arrived in India yesterday, for the upcoming test series starting Dec 11th..

Early days, but Crazy is doing it!

He's doing very well dave, albeit a little expensive on debut. He's got 7-215 (four clean bowled) and on a hatrick now..

Nice one crazy!

EDIT: Now 8 wickets (for 215) on debut, at an average of 26.87

Fourth man in test history to do this!! ;)B)

India collapsed with 5 wickets for 19 runs

Fourth man in test history to do this!! ;)B)

Actually, he is the eigth man in test history and the fourth Australian to take 8 on debut. No-one has ever taken nine-for. Apologies on that.

EDIT: A little history here - The best figures for debutant is Narendra Hirwani (Ind), who took 8/61 in the first inns and 8/75 in the second, against WI in 88' (thats 16/136!). :blink:

That was against players such as; Richards, Richardson, Haynes, Hooper & Dujon..

Although thats the most runs conceeded on Debut, ever.

Doom Gloom

Robert Craddock is a hack, that knows nothing of the Australian selection process. Flopsy, can you please remind me, who Robert Craddock played for, in either county format, or for his country? I cannot seem to find the background of his expertise.. :rolleyes:;)

I'll admit Lee is not on form and has lost some focus.. some could say that is related to his recent split/seperation from his wife and children.. I have a theory on this, but I am not going to express it on this mb.

On the other player in question.. For your's and Robert'ss benefit - Clark picked up an elbow injury during the 1st test in Bangalore and subsequently missed the 2nd test, in Mohali.. Hence the (wrong) selection of Peter Siddle - A little research into these things wouldn't hurt..

Lee is still considered the 'spearhead' of the pace attack and Johnson is the best (Aussie) paceman in the last three tests.. Watson has been brilliant in the role of all-rounder and that makes three quicks.. Who would you drop based on this spinning pitch?

Btw - Flopsy, I mentioned earlier that 'Crazy' has been expensive, so I dont see your point really? Are you saying that an eighth-for (avg 26.87), is no good on debut? :unsure:

On another topic.. WTF! - give it a rest Harbhajan! you're never going to be the greatest, nor will be! :angry:

Harbhajan's view on rascists remark I find it funny, that the most vocal about this issue, is the same one accused of all the problems.. funny that! <_<

More news on the disgusting rascist behaviour of Harbhajan Singh... What a nasty little piece of work, this guy is...Ponting explains

"He [symonds] walked out of our dressing room, knocked on the Indian team's door, asked to see Harbhajan, confronted him and said flatly, 'Don't do it again'," Ponting wrote. "When Symmo returned to our room, he told us that after he explained how much the insult had affected him, while Harbhajan had not admitted that he said it, he did acknowledge that it was unacceptable, had apologised for any offence, and assured Symmo there'd be no repeat.

It's a pity that Symonds didn't knock this loser flat-out.. Cowards like Harbhajan, wouldn't take much, before he started seeing stars.. especially from a tough nut like Symmo.

My surprise so far in this four test series is not 'Midge' Johnson, but Simon Katich... Personally, I hate the guy, but credit where credit is due. Nice one Kato.

Backing up my comments I made before the start of this test... Well done Kato - another ton!!

Katich out for 102 on a questionable LBW.

EDIT: As I understand it, Ponting has never been a fan of Katich at all... Interestingly, Steve Waugh was the opposite and loved the guy's talent and leadership...

Looking as far as the Ashes, I think it looks like England may edge it. As things stand, Australia are slowly weakening, and their bowling attack is a shadow of its former self, whereas Broad and Anderson look like they are developing, and Harmison and Freddy have recovered some form. This may continue (with luck) and the bowlers may be something looking as dangerous as 2005. And for once we have the better spinner. Australia probably have the better batting line up though, with players who can turn it on and get a ton.

Honestly, cant see Aus winning this test.. either an Indian win or a draw is on the cards

Btw- Crazy is on a hatrick again and has now gained a ten-four in his first test! Removed Laxmann with an unplayable delivery, to be clean bowled and then removed Gangles for a golden duck, in his last test innings.

Again.. nice one Crazy!

EDIT: Tendulkar has now been run out for 12... Currently, India 6/166 at tea, with a lead of 252 overall and four sessions still to play. India have lost 6/50 in this session b/w lunch and tea..

Can only see a draw or Indian win still.... :(

Great win by the Indians and credit to their side. They put together a very balanced performance throughout the series.

Key questions regarding the Australian performance and the overall selection process;

1) Why did Punter make the decision to take the 'foot off the gas' and play the part-time bowlers, (Hussey, Clarke and White) when India were 6/166. (I know the daily over-rate was down at the time, but Punter was going to get fined or suspended regardless of the outcome). Again, as I have said previously, why not use Katich?

2) Why was Cameron White given an extended run in the side, with such poor results to show for his efforts (with both the bat and ball) and further to this, why was 'Crazy' Krejza not included in the first XI, earlier in the series (and I don't buy the crap that he was expensive in the September 'A' game)? I mean after all, Krejza was picked in the original squad as the backup bowler to the injured McGain..

3) What is the point of a selector traveling with the squad and the use of Greg Chappell as an advisor? Hilditch was with the team for the first two tests then 'big' Merv was there for the last two...

4) Why include Peter Siddle in the squad and not Brett Geeves (TAS), Doug Bollinger (NSW) or more importantly Ashley Noffke (QLD)?

5) Why did the selectors not 'bite the bullet' and include Symonds in the squad at all? Yes, I know he was serving a punishment, but he had already been sent home in disgrace, to face a brutal media and had also been dropped from the remaining ODI's against Bangladesh. I have heard that the 'Pup' (Clarke) was the first to advocate the need to drop Symonds and personally I think this is down to their previous 'off the field' argument, which occurred back in June on the WI tour. Pup came very close to getting a 'smack' from Symonds, for his flippant comment while he [symonds] and Brian Lara were having a quite drink in a bar..

6) Why did Australia only play two very short first class games, before the test series started in Bangalore?

7) Why was Beau Casson, Dan Cullen or Nathan Hauritz, not included in the squad to begin with? Especially with Hauritz' previous form & figures in India..

8) Why was Phil Jaques selected in the group, if he was already carrying a back injury and why was he not replaced with say, Brad Hodge? (I know that Hussey can 'Open' the innings if required and Hodgey could slot in at second drop in the batting lineup)

Many questions to be answered IMV and not much of this can be attributed to hindsight... Note, Brad Haddin failed again... IMHO, the NZ series coming up, has to be his last chance, otherwise give Luke Ronchi a go.

EDIT: Anyway, not detracting from the series result - well done to India, they deserved it.

Good to see Moises getting a few, as well as the Pakistani born kid, he's cracked a few tons in the first few games of the club comp.

Hey dave, check out the young kid (17), bowling for NSW against the Kiwi's - Josh Hazlewood. He is making his debut for NSW today. Keep an eye on him, as I think this guy has a big future ahead of him.

Interestingly, He is left-hand bat and right-arm fast in bowling

EDIT: Moises included in the squad and playing nice ad tight against the Kiwis

Sorry, didn't realize that ABC had some coverage on the guy.

I saw an interview with him a few days ago on Foxtel. It just went on to say, that he is a country boy and that he idolizes 'Pigeon' McGrath. Some coaches are saying that, although he's 6'5 now, he will probably grow to 6' 7!!! He has a very nice 'front-on' bowling action and currently hits the deck at speeds of up to 150kph or 93+mph. Best mate is Phil Hughes, the opening bat for NSW. Came across as a really down-to-earth sort of guy.

I know some experts are placing a lot of expectations on his shoulders, but I guess we will see...

NSW have some very good young players at the moment; Khawaja (bat), Steve Smith (all round leggie), Phil Hughes (bat), Moises (all rounder) & Hazelwood (rh-fast)..

EDIT: I notice that Henriques has got his fifty against the Kiwis

1. Flopsy, can you please remind me, who Robert Craddock played for, in either county format, or for his country?

2. Who would you drop based on this spinning pitch?

3. I mentioned earlier that 'Crazy' has been expensive, so I dont see your point really?

4. Are you saying that an eighth-for (avg 26.87), is no good on debut?

Sure, here you go Flopsy (see above)

And here is another one... Are you saying 12 wickets (on debut) and an average under 30 is no good?

I mean I can see England being able to score runs off him next summer thats how average he is.

We will see Flopsy.. I am more curious how England will go in India..

You have to admit, its not a very good start?

Archived