BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fight Night Rnd 4

Comes out tomorrow I believe, it's been getting rave reviews - anyone else been looking forward to this as much as me?

I've played the demo and it's given me a real appetite - particularly looking forward to the new and improved career mode, severely lacking in Rnd 3. Apparently you can now tweak your own ring entrance ( :blink: oo-er :blink: ) and stick your own music on.

Sad though I am - I think my weekend is sorted....

Anyone got it on order? I think I'm just getting mine from Blockbuster as I have some credit. I've got two "must buy on release day" games this year and this is one of them (the other being Fifa 10)

LLLLLLLLLLLLETS GET READY TO RUMMMMMMMBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEE!!!!!! :rover:

I loved round 3 apart from the career mode which was really boring and repetitive.

I always turn off the ring entrances anyway to try and cut down the loading times which take a looooooooooooong time in this game.

Played the demo but do not like the way they have messed with the controls and so will give this a miss. I dont think there is a chance to pick it up cheap either because the price for this type of game never drops. Round 3 on Play is still £30

I think I see your point with the controls - I found them a bit frustrating at first but I've got a sneaky feeling that with perseverance they will be much improved (I played the demo to death but stopped when I started to "get it" so as not to spoil my enjoyment of the full game) - I think it's just because they've made the the controls a bit deeper. I found in FN3 it was a little bit too reliant on waiting for a gap and then unleashing haymaker after haymaker.

I think this time round it looks like you have to work harder to get the opening you want which in my mind will make it all the better. If it's lag free online it should be superb due to the addition of many new fighting styles.

Your sincerely, Fight night Fanboy. :closedeyes:

Haven´t got this on order but might check it out. Maybe they have put in different control options?

Cocker, why don´t you wait a bit for someone to trade it in then get it on the cheap? Or trade for it when you go to get rid of some of your games? Isn´t there a store where you can do stuff like that in England?

Think he mentioned that Shev - problem is the EA games tend to hold their value pretty well as good sports games tend have legs in them. Example I think you'll be lucky to get Fifa 09 for less than 20 squid and the next one is due out soon.

I've got credit on my blockbuster video card so I think I'm paying about £25 quid providing it's in stock. Most game stores let you trade in your old games but they don't give you much. I normally get games I'm not desperate for pre owned myself but for titles such as these you end up waiting months to make it worthwhile.

Cocker, why don´t you wait a bit for someone to trade it in then get it on the cheap? Or trade for it when you go to get rid of some of your games? Isn´t there a store where you can do stuff like that in England?

I dont want to go off topic really but just to point out that I live on the Isle of Man where only 1 shop does this. Plus they are too stupid to understand how its meant to work.

Most of the time I can get a game and with some good time on it will finish it in a week. If I have paid £40 and take if back I can get £25 for it (I am talking about a new game here) I have then gone into the same shop and seen the same game that I traded sitting there under pre owned for £43 - and no, they haven't made a mistake. I have even asked why the second hand games cost more than the new ones and wasn't given an answer.

On more than one occation I have bought a new game from play or shopto - finished it and then take it too these guys to be then given more money than I paid for the new one. Its mental.

Anyway, I will slap myself now to get back on topic :mellow:

Loving this game right now, played it non stop since it came out on Friday, just a few fights off being the greatest of all time!

Certainly found it hard against opponents with a better overall rating than you, found that out early in my career and had to scrap a few decision wins.

Love the one punch knockdowns when you get them right, just put Tyson down in the first!

Not to sure if I like the haymakers on this one, they seem a little slower than they should be and you can see them coming a mile off, then again they were too easy in the last one.

Only tiny gripe is in the legacy mode you can't change your special punch which is a little frustrating as the one I chose at the start is very inneffective.

All in all the best of the Fight Night series though, the legacy/career mode is teriffic now they've added rankings and a a better challenging system.

The additions to the training are good as well, it's only the maize bag I struggle with.

8/10 easily for me, if anyone has any questions on the game then I'd be happy to answer?

Anyone played online yet, gave it a quick bash on Friday but couldn't find anyone to fight, probably because the game had only been out a few hours! Hopefully online should be good, I'm on the PS3 if anyone wants a fight.

Had a good blast at this over the last weekend - this is one tidy game.

Agree with all of the above. I started out a legacy mode when I first got it and, if I'm honest, "Snatchy Shotgun Shelton" hasn't exactly set the world alight. My only gripe - and this is probably just me - is that I just cannot do the training games, ANY OF THEM!! I always end up "Bum" level when I finish (which would be right). As a result I've struggled to improve the stats on my first created boxer and thus struggled to win some fights despite some truly epic pendulum like encounters. I've started again with an inside Mexican bruiser and I'm just putting the traning games on auto and I'm fairing slightly better. If anyone has any tips on the training games I'm all ears. How on earth do you rack up points on the Maize bag??? (dodge dodge punch)

So, my skill aside, this is a great game. EA promised realistic fight physics and apart from the VERY occasional glitch, every bob, weave, jab button and uppercut are captured in glorious detail and delivered with all the finesse their real life counterparts.

Onto the Controls: I know a few people will feel a little miffed that you can no longer use the buttons to punch I think it's for the greater good. For me, the buttons always felt a bit like cheating and I have always used the analogue stick in the fight night series because I find it's immensely more satisfying when you catch someone on the chin. This also frees up the buttons allowing you to instincively push, grab (or headbutt) your opponent if you need to .

The whole game has a real polished feel to it and the fights are a real show and no two seem the same because of the varied styles. The game oozes class and from the moment "Shotgun Shelton" swaggered into to the ring to "Underdog" by Kasabian to the point where he's on his rump staring at the ceiling with a glazed look on his swollen, bloody face this is gaming heaven if your a fight fan.

Non fight fans may find the controls a little frustrating and the loading times can be a bit of a drag so you might want to rent first, but for me it will tide me over a treat until Fifa 10.

Whats so new about the controls?? Or was it only the 360 and ps2 that used analogue sticks last time? Hopefully I'll get this when I can afford to!

1. The punches are now analogue stick only - previously you also had the option of using the buttons to punch.

2. Haymakers are now done by holding the RB (on the 360). They are slow and you can see them coming a mile off, but it's more realistic that way. You can still catch opponents with stunners though if you time the counter right and they are much more rewarding.

3. You can now weave using the left stick (in addition to moving around the ring). Effective when trying to get a better angle.

4. Normal buttons are now used for push, illiegal blow, signature punch and clinch. Push is great if your an outside fighter up against a Hatton style brawler.

Overall, much more sophisticated - ordinary fighting game this ain't.

Had a good blast at this over the last weekend - this is one tidy game.

Agree with all of the above. I started out a legacy mode when I first got it and, if I'm honest, "Snatchy Shotgun Shelton" hasn't exactly set the world alight. My only gripe - and this is probably just me - is that I just cannot do the training games, ANY OF THEM!! I always end up "Bum" level when I finish (which would be right). As a result I've struggled to improve the stats on my first created boxer and thus struggled to win some fights despite some truly epic pendulum like encounters. I've started again with an inside Mexican bruiser and I'm just putting the traning games on auto and I'm fairing slightly better. If anyone has any tips on the training games I'm all ears. How on earth do you rack up points on the Maize bag??? (dodge dodge punch)

So, my skill aside, this is a great game. EA promised realistic fight physics and apart from the VERY occasional glitch, every bob, weave, jab button and uppercut are captured in glorious detail and delivered with all the finesse their real life counterparts.

Onto the Controls: I know a few people will feel a little miffed that you can no longer use the buttons to punch I think it's for the greater good. For me, the buttons always felt a bit like cheating and I have always used the analogue stick in the fight night series because I find it's immensely more satisfying when you catch someone on the chin. This also frees up the buttons allowing you to instincively push, grab (or headbutt) your opponent if you need to .

The whole game has a real polished feel to it and the fights are a real show and no two seem the same because of the varied styles. The game oozes class and from the moment "Shotgun Shelton" swaggered into to the ring to "Underdog" by Kasabian to the point where he's on his rump staring at the ceiling with a glazed look on his swollen, bloody face this is gaming heaven if your a fight fan.

Non fight fans may find the controls a little frustrating and the loading times can be a bit of a drag so you might want to rent first, but for me it will tide me over a treat until Fifa 10.

From my recent Fight Night marathon here are a few tips for you for the training games.

Open Sparring: This one can be tricky as your sparring partner seems to vary depending on how good your character is, sometime it seems he is better than you.I actually got knocked out 4 times in one sparring session, it wasn't my finest moment, nor did I get any points. Anyway I find the best method is to hit him with a lot of jabs and body shots early on as your stamina is high, after you start to tire let him throw some punches at you, try and lean out of the way of some to pick up some good points and if possible hit him with some counter punches to really bring in some big points and even force a possible knockdown. Towards the end of the session if you've been avoiding him for a while you can go on another stamina burst and hit him with some quick jabs and body shots, if your stamina has greatly diminished then stick to trying to avoid him.

If you get stunned at any point just grab him and rest until your steady again, it's not worth trying to score a few points to risk losing a knock down.

Stay On Your Feet Again this can be tricky depending on how good the opponent is, early on try and get some jabs etc in as you don't score any points for simply standing there. He'll probably soon get on top so try and lean out of the way of as many as possible and hit him with some counters, grab and push to stay up when you get stunned, if you get knocked down a few times it's not the end of the world, just try and get a few punches back in when you get back up. I wouldn't bother trying too many uppercuts etc or haymakers in this one, they are usually much quicker than you and will pull you apart.

Heavy Bag Combos This one I found really difficult at first but I realised you don't need to rush it. (I made the early mistake thinking if I don't throw a punch then the symbol will change but you have as much time as you want.) You should just take your time over each punch, if you don't throw any wrong ones and take an age over it you'll still get almost maximum points. Again though don't panic if you throw a few wrong ones, just concentrate on making sure you get the combinations right until you get back up to 5 combos again, then as usual take your time and don't rush the punches. I really tend to struggle with the right hook for some reason. One bit of advice if you have a problem with a particular punch is to just stare at the controller when your throwing the punch, don't even bother watching the screen as like I said there is no rush.

Heavy Bag Push I tend to rage on mid to good points on this one, sometimes scoring quite low in all honesty, I've auto trained this one a fair bit as I don't want to risk getting less points then I would for auto training. The only two punches you need for this one though is your jab and straight, hooks and uppercuts won't move it any quicker I've found and just start it swaying too much. You need to make sure you only hit the red area of the bad, I tend to overthrow 2 or 3 jabs once it's already changed which can set you back a long way so as most of the training areas just take your time over the punches. I've found the easiest way wherer you can comfortably get a 'contender' rating and a +4 attributes is just to ignore the jab and concentrate only on using your straight, then it's just one punch and making sure you hit high or low. This can be a bit tricky earlier in your career if you don't have good stamina, throwing straight all the time can tire you out a low so even concentrating on just using the jab in your early days isn't a bad idea.

Double End Bag This is another I used to struggle with, again like the other games I think it gets easier as your character improves his attributes, e.g. you can move around the bag quicker and get to the targets quicker. It's a bit of a cache 22 situation with your attributes and the difficulty of the training methods. The easiest punches to use here are quick hooks to the body, they score the largest points and are easy enough to pull off. Just throw a left, right, left hook asnd move on to the next target, don't try and throw too many punches as you will be still throwing punches while you need to move to the other target. 3 is plenty enough punches if you get around all the areas you'll get maximum points. The time when you make mistakes is when you should be moving to the target and your still throwing punches as you've been rapidly flicking the analogue stick.

Maize Bag I think this one is the most difficult, I've gave up on it and just auto-train each time, it's easy enough to lean out of the way of the punches but I always get hit with the bag trying to throw one as it seems you have to punch at the right time otherwise it's too late. The only advice here I'd say is try it in practice mode and if you can't get it then just go for auto training.

Whats so new about the controls?? Or was it only the 360 and ps2 that used analogue sticks last time? Hopefully I'll get this when I can afford to!

Last time analogue was the default controls but you could still use the old button bashing mode in the control options. To be honest I haven't looked if you can change it on this one, you probably can. The analog punch system is different now though, you can throw hooks to the body without having to lean at the same time now as well as them being a bit more realistic, you can't just simply throw right hook left hook repeatedly like you used to.

All in all it's a much better all round game in terms of gameplay, graphics, lasting appeal and realism, it's a big thumbs up from me, really enjoying it so far.

Great post Dirk - some invaluable tips there I think. If you can offer any more on the following I'd be greatful:

Clinching - Done with the Y Button - When I get stunned I try and clinch but I find it difficult as the CPU just keeps raining blows on me. It seems that my clinches are ineffective whilst the CPU hugs me like a lost child that's found it's mummy. I suspect this may be that I'm playing on lower stats though due to me arsing up most of my training games. I've tried 3 methods and I'm not sure which is the correct one as all three have had me eating canvas at some point:

- Holding down the clinch button

- Pressing it once and hoping for the best

- Tapping it several times in deperation.

I think the 3rd one I use a lot but I have a feeling if I press again it "unclinches"

PS You defo can't configure the buttons for punch - it's analogue only. Great news for me not so great for online button bashers :)

Had a quick game online last night - lost (surprise) but the online championship looks good - it levels out your customer boxers stats to create a fairer fight so your not hunting round for an even match. Better news - absolutely lag free - on the 360 anyway.

Great post Dirk - some invaluable tips there I think. If you can offer any more on the following I'd be greatful:

Clinching - Done with the Y Button - When I get stunned I try and clinch but I find it difficult as the CPU just keeps raining blows on me. It seems that my clinches are ineffective whilst the CPU hugs me like a lost child that's found it's mummy. I suspect this may be that I'm playing on lower stats though due to me arsing up most of my training games. I've tried 3 methods and I'm not sure which is the correct one as all three have had me eating canvas at some point:

- Holding down the clinch button

- Pressing it once and hoping for the best

- Tapping it several times in deperation.

I think the 3rd one I use a lot but I have a feeling if I press again it "unclinches"

PS You defo can't configure the buttons for punch - it's analogue only. Great news for me not so great for online button bashers :)

Had a quick game online last night - lost (surprise) but the online championship looks good - it levels out your customer boxers stats to create a fairer fight so your not hunting round for an even match. Better news - absolutely lag free - on the 360 anyway.

Similiar to a lot of the problems I had getting to grips with this game it just comes down to timing and waiting for your chance. When you get stunned it's almost pointless going for the clinch straight away as they are expecting it and will either push you away or hammer you with a combo. The best thing you can do is try and throw a push in yourself first and then clinch or try and avoid a few punches then clinch when he pauses. The other option is to try and hit him with a few jabs or something and then go for the clinch.

I find the later method of hitting him a few times and then clinching is the most effective as they have no time to avoid the clinch but its also the most risky as you stand a greater chance of getting knocked down. The safest way early on is to just block all the head shots and take a chance on the body ones then go in for the clinch after he's finished his first combo.

Unfortunately it's all trial and error really, but the worst thing you can do is go for an immediate clinch, and definitely not bash it a few times!!

I agree though it's much more difficult the other way around, they seem to be pretty good at clinching easily unless you can hammer them with a combo. I can deal with it now quite well as I can reel of 8 or 9 punches at a time but in the early days of my career you don't have the stamina or the hand speed for it.

It's strange in a way with sports sims because most games generally get harder as you progress through the levels, but with this sort of game and other sports sims it's almost harder at the start of your career as your attributes are low but now I've got to the business end of my career most of my title fights are pretty easy in comparison.

This game is incredible, I have just had my first really tough fight and won by split decision. The training games are getting me a bit too but I am improving. Generally finding the controls much better and as someone who played the last FN online Im glad they got rid of the buttons for punches as they made for an unfair fight as I am also glad for stat leveling which should make online more playable.

Played the demo and I'm impressed. Very, very impressed. I like the analogue controls and the graphics are just fantastic, the blood/sweat effects and the crowd are just spot on. The fighters feel solid and realistic, it's a welcome change

Is the career mode reasonably long? I'm really tempted to buy this game, and I never thought I'd say that about a boxing game.

I found that I was winning easily by judges decisions but I'm a bit concerned about how far away I was from KOing Manny. I'm guessing it's not unusual, I managed to get him down to about 75% health by the end of the 3rd round. I'm assuming I was so far from a KO because the demo only gives a very short time? How many rounds does the full game give you to fight someone?

Played the demo and I'm impressed. Very, very impressed. I like the analogue controls and the graphics are just fantastic, the blood/sweat effects and the crowd are just spot on. The fighters feel solid and realistic, it's a welcome change

Is the career mode reasonably long? I'm really tempted to buy this game, and I never thought I'd say that about a boxing game.

I found that I was winning easily by judges decisions but I'm a bit concerned about how far away I was from KOing Manny. I'm guessing it's not unusual, I managed to get him down to about 75% health by the end of the 3rd round. I'm assuming I was so far from a KO because the demo only gives a very short time? How many rounds does the full game give you to fight someone?

The last bit is irrelevant now, I realised how powerful haymakers were. Took Manny down three times, he wasn't getting up after the third. =)

Yes the power bar can be a bit misleading at times because it doesn't exactly mean 'how much health you have until you die' like traditional video games. I managed to knock someone down with the very first punch of the first round yesterday although he did get back up. Even in the 8th, 9th 10th round fighters seem to have about a 3rd of their 'life' left but are easy to get on top of by then providing you aren't destroyed yourself!

I doubt it's even very easy to get their life bar down all the way as you have usually either been knocked out or knocked him out by then!!!

The career mode is as long as you make it I guess, I've just about finished my first one but that did involve a few all day sessions. Had about 50 fights in my career and got to about 83 overall at my highest. If I train better from the start this time I hope to get him above 90 overall.

So yeh the career is going to be around 40-60 fights depending on how well is training goes and how early you begin to decline. Then how long that is depends on firstly how many training sessions you have, mostly I went for 2 sessions before each fight and then most importantly how good you are will decide how long it takes. If you end up going to decision every time then a fight might be 20-40 minutes depending on the number of rounds but often fights won't get past the 3rd round if you are significantly better than the opponent.

Well I've gone from being incredibly useless (as you can see from my above posts) to being unstoppable in the space of a week - all because I changed the created boxer to suit my gameplay style more. I picked a short southpaw inside fighter with a blistering left hook and the results have staggered me.

I don't really do the training games now (which can be frustrating) so my stats are generally about 20 points behind my opponents in legacy mode. I've currently got stats of about 73 overall and consistently hammering all comers who have stats of 90+. My record is 32-0-0 with 31 by way of KO. About 70% of my fights are over in the second round and I've won a good few in the 1st round as well.

I'm not sure if this is just a flaw or not but I'm finding it all rather easy now and I never throw haymakers. I just go straight at them, block the first few and counter then go hell for leather. Once I have the first knock down it's generally fight over because I get right back in their face and knock them down again and again before they've had a chance to replenish their health.

I still think it's a great game as it's highly enjoyable, however, much as I'm pleased with myself as I appear to have "mastered" it finally I can't help feeling a little disappointed that if you sacrifice boxing clever in favour of using a brawler to rain down punch after punch all the fights become a little proedictable.

I've played online a few times and I think there's potential there, although a couple of people have just used alternate high/low haymaker after haymaker until they get a lucky knockdown so if I can counter that then theres promise.

Don't let this put you off buying though, I think I've spent about 60 quid this year on Hatton, Khan et al on sky box office so £40 quid is a steal as it's still a good laugh and a highly polished title. :)

Guest Kamy100

For those of you who want the buttons mapped EA are going to have some Free DLC for this:

Fans clamoring for face button controls just got their wish.

Electronic Arts announced plans today to release several downloadable content packs for Fight Night Round 4 on Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. One of which being a free update made available in September that allows players to map punches to the face buttons on the controllers.

Another DLC update released later in August will include a new training gym, new gameplay sliders, and new equipment. Xbox 360 owners will also be getting an exclusive alternate version of Sugar Ray Leonard.

"The depth and variety of new content we have planned this summer is going to make one of the most critically acclaimed games on the market even better," said senior producer, Dean Richards in a press release.

"Among the new content in development, our new button control scheme will give fans a choice for how they want to throw punches in the game. We strongly believe that the refined Total Punch Control is the most intuitive way to throw punches in Fight Night Round 4, but we also want fans of the franchise to have an option."

EA did not say when or how many more DLC packs fans can expect to see.

Played the demo but do not like the way they have messed with the controls and so will give this a miss. I dont think there is a chance to pick it up cheap either because the price for this type of game never drops. Round 3 on Play is still £30

I picked up round 3 for $25AUS, so about £10

Archived