BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Alley Docking

Okay so im planning to do my drivers test again. It will be my 3rd time now. On both occasions i failed the parking, well Alley Docking to be precise. I can drive, and have been driving for quite some time. Ive been with an instructor, but im struggling with picking up the poles when looking in my mirrors. My eyesight is perfect, just i get confused when looking in my mirrors when reversing. I somehow seem to misjudge which way the car is pointing. Any tips guys or ways to overcome the problem?

Thanks

Isgak

When I was learning to drive, I was told only to glance in the mirrors when reverse parking and to look through the back window and windscreen for hazards. If you just look at your mirrors, your neglecting possible hazards and fail.

On your next lesson just practice and practice maneuvers until your comfortable.

When I was learning to drive, I was told only to glance in the mirrors when reverse parking and to look through the back window and windscreen for hazards. If you just look at your mirrors, your neglecting possible hazards and fail.

On your next lesson just practice and practice maneuvers until your comfortable.

Exactly.

Presty is spot on! I've got my test in september so im just brushing up all my manouvers in lessons now, and its all about observations, looking out the back window and keep checking whats behind you. Trick is too also quickly steer.

What car you learning in btw?

Is alley parking the same as reverse parking?

If so, there is a point in the window when looking over the shoulder that you should start to straighten and reverse turn, the trick is to find it.

It's also one of those things that is a piece of cake for some, and the worst nightmare for others.

The key to all manouvers is to keep the car moving at steady walking pace,too slow and your likely to oversteer.

With the car moving smoothly back turn the wheel using big,slow turns (try turning the wheel at the same speed as the car is moving)

As already mentioned try not to look in the mirrors for more than a quick glance, if you stare into the mirrors you can miss hazards such as a child walking out behind the car, and you can easily lose track of where the back of the car is heading.

When the back of your car is level with the first pole turn the steering wheel one full turn(360 degrees).When you can see the first pole lined up with you door mirror unwind the steering-keep turning(slowly) until you see the bonnet is almost back in a straight line,then turn briskly back to straighten your steering wheel.

Remember to have lots of quick glances forwards and backwards as the car is reversing.

Good luck.

Is alley parking the same as reverse parking?

If so, there is a point in the window when looking over the shoulder that you should start to straighten and reverse turn, the trick is to find it.

It's also one of those things that is a piece of cake for some, and the worst nightmare for others.

If it is the same then Stu is right. We don't to park for our test :lol: but I was having major problems with my reverse around the corner and found that by lining up the centre of the back window (normally the wiper/middle headrest) with the kerb/line and then straightening the wheel is a massive help. Looking out your rear side windows gives you a massive advantage too as you can make your manouver before it's too late!

Valet parking is the answer!!!

My driving instructor had a mark on the back window and as long as you kept that mark aligned with the kerb you were doing OK.

Archived