BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Martin Olsson

I remember a young ashley cole who couldn't defend for love nor money, now he is possibley the best left back in the world. Defenders need experience, and they need time to gel with the rest of the back four. Olsson needs a loan move where he has a nailed on spot at left back, but personally i wouldnt be that against him starting a few more games for us.

I thought he played decently yesterday, but Arsenal didn't really go after him. If they had looked to exploit him maybe it would have been a different story.

There is a strong argument in my mind for starting him at left wing, or at least giving him half an hour there sometime. He showed attacking against Arsenal that he has the pace to beat some of the quickest players in the league. He is also very direct and seems to have a good shot on him. Delivery needs to be worked on a bit though.

Olsson looked a lot more maturer and comfortable against the Arsenal, had my doubts about him. Hopefully he can have the odd game here and there, do well, and go on to establish himself in the first team come next season.

Just to echo what everyone else is saying really - I thought he did well yesterday. I was terrified when I saw his name on the team sheet - but he had a decent game. His volley from 30 yards would have been a goal of the season contender had it just been a little higher. Didn't know he had it in him to shoot like that - but he reverted to type about 30 seconds later spooning one skyward. Send him on loan to Blackpool or PNE.

His pace and directness are his major assets, and he has reasonable delivery as exhibited at the Euro Under 21s this year. These mark him out for midfield rather than as a defensive liability.

Now this bit is very insightful, something I hadn't thought of but now, once said, it makes perfect sense.

He has a flash of fire in his eye as well and a bit of a temper. I wouldn't use him on the wing, he may be able to do it but it wouldn't be his best position. Full back, I can see the arguments but I think it is a waste of his talents. Left centre-mid now that's an intriguing prospect. Nzonzi on his right mmmmmm (strokes chin).

He has a flash of fire in his eye as well and a bit of a temper. I wouldn't use him on the wing, he may be able to do it but it wouldn't be his best position. Full back, I can see the arguments but I think it is a waste of his talents. Left centre-mid now that's an intriguing prospect. Nzonzi on his right mmmmmm (strokes chin).

Also known as 'doing a Warnock'.

I think he's got good potential at left back...Clichy, Evra, Cole, Insua etc aren't any bigger than he is, they just had to work incredibly hard to add defensive steel to their attacking talents. On the basis of the Arsenal game I see no reason why Olsson can't do the same. He needs more regular football though, hopefully a loan deal can be sorted when everyone else is fit.

Archived