BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Martin Olsson

It appears that our flying Swede doesn't have his own topic. Or the search function is rubbish....

Anyhow despite being one of the poorest full backs I have ever seen play for Rovers I think this guy has a future at the club. His pace and directness are his major assets, and he has reasonable delivery as exhibited at the Euro Under 21s this year. These mark him out for midfield rather than as a defensive liability.

If we continue with the 4231 this guy should get a shot at the left wing slot as a sub. Pedersen is too slow to adequately support the striker as seen against West Ham. It would be quite exciting to see Olsson and Hoilett using their pace on either wing supporting Kalinic, with Dunn creating behind. IMO it would carry much more threat than Diouf and Pedersen out wide.

Just a thought.

I agree that he's promising but from what I've seen he doesn't have the best delivery and holds no real trickery up his sleeve. If he works on his defensive game I'm sure he can be a very good attacking fullback but it needs a lot of work until he's a regular for us. For now he can be backup both for left back and left wing as both aspects of his game need improvement imo.

I wouldn't write him off at left back completely, defensive skills can be coached if we work hard enough with him.

Look at the left backs Wenger produces, most start out as skilful left wingers in their youth before being converted into attacking full backs. Ashley Cole, Clichy and Gibbs are hardly solid players, but they were taught enough defensive skills to make them capable of playing at full back.

At this stage of his career, loaning him out to a Championship club would be the best thing for him I think. We've got plenty of defensive options now and I think only an injury crisis would see him play in midfield. As the Championship window is still open I'd like to see us push him for a move if we can.

cracking left back. looked decent in most games. the spuds one he was ill.

to call him one of the worst full backs you've seen at the club is one of the biggest insults i've ever seen at this club

gary croft

callum davidson

nils eric johansson (technically not his fault since it wasn't his proper position)

danny simpson

dominic matteo

sebatien pelzer

and those are only in recent times

cracking left back. looked decent in most games. the spuds one he was ill.

to call him one of the worst full backs you've seen at the club is one of the biggest insults i've ever seen at this club

gary croft

callum davidson

nils eric johansson (technically not his fault since it wasn't his proper position)

danny simpson

dominic matteo

sebatien pelzer

and those are only in recent times

I can't work out whether you are being ironic or not.

He is appalling. Simpson was better when he moved from right back to cover left back. Matteo was better, if still rubbish, Johansson loads better certainly. If you play anything to Olsson in the air he will get beaten if challenged. His positioning is very weak, although sometimes his pace gets him out of trouble.

Gillingham with one up top gave Olsson and Reid a torrid time....

Left wing is the only possible future for him.

I can't work out whether you are being ironic or not.

He is appalling. Simpson was better when he moved from right back to cover left back. Matteo was better, if still rubbish, Johansson loads better certainly. If you play anything to Olsson in the air he will get beaten if challenged. His positioning is very weak, although sometimes his pace gets him out of trouble.

Gillingham with one up top gave Olsson and Reid a torrid time....

Left wing is the only possible future for him.

how many times have you seen him play?

he's had a couple of bad games (and in one of them, the spuds game, he was ill and against one of the fastest players in the prem)

he's had a few decent games

he's had a fantastic game against everton in the cup

he's a youngster who needs experience, that's all

i'd loan him out

simpson better?

your post is moot

He's at the age where he can still be coached into being better defensively. If he was in his mid to late 20's then I'd say get rid but he's got potential to be a good player as long as he's dedicated and has that personal drive to succeed to become a better player. Good luck to him.

I'm with Joey on this one. He may have a future as a left midfielder but he is not a full back. His defensive positioning and nous is badly lacking, and whilst I'll not write him off 100% as a full back, there's a heck of a lot of coaching to be done to get him anywhere near an acceptable standard. It's no suprise Sam dropped him pretty much as soon as he came.

It's the same when I've seen him for the reserves, looks promising going forward, but gets caught out too often defensively. You look at Givet - an extreme example I'll admit - but he seems to sense danger before it arrives. A good defender has that anticipation (although not too many have it more than a supurb Givet) an awareness of danger if you like. Olsson seems horribly oblivious to it.

As for your list I think I'd place most of them (when they played for rovers) as better or on a par with Olsson at this current time. Most of them had huge weaknesses in their game, but I'd feel comfortable with Croft, Johansson and Matteo - although I never want to see Matteo attempt another pass again, seriously the guy made Mokoena look like Tugs with his passing. As for Peltzer he got badly injured on his debute, and never recovered, perhaps partly due to the emergence of McEveley. I recall Davidson getting a bad injury early on in his rovers career too. Without these injuries who knows what their rovers careers would have been like. Idle speculation, but I think they showed as much promise as Olsson.

• 3 weeks later...

How did Olsson play against Forest?

One thing, it seems, that you can guarentee from Olsson are "incidents"! Whether bad or good, it's never quiet with this boy. He's nifty getting forward but a bit careless in his own backyard.

I hope he gets a chance on the left wing someday.

How did Olsson play against Forest?

One thing, it seems, that you can guarentee from Olsson are "incidents"! Whether bad or good, it's never quiet with this boy. He's nifty getting forward but a bit careless in his own backyard.

I hope he gets a chance on the left wing someday.

Doesn't have the skill for the left wing.

He was OK last night, he just lacks composure. A couple of times they played the ball in behind him and he panicked a bit. I dont think he'll ever bo good enough for this level.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this thread deserves a post...

Olsson did really well against Arsenal yesterday, one of the bright spots! Did little wrong in defence - perhaps too eager to hunt down van Persie on Walcott's goal is all I can think of - and offered some attacking guile aswell. Although his shot was saved, it was the on-watching Tugay worthy.

I've said this time and time again, but this guy desperately needs a loan move somewhere. Mainly because I think he can become a really good left back with time.

One swallow doesn't make a summer, and I don't think one decent performance - and I didn't think he was all that convincing - makes him a good shout for left back. Time after time he has played badly and the defensive side of his game is very suspect.

He does look brighter going forward though. If he is ever to make it I reckon it'll be as a left mid, as he looks far better attacking then defending. Perhaps with Ped's lack of form he could be given a go at left mid, but at the moment he's too suspect defensively to get near the lb spot.

One swallow doesn't make a summer, and I don't think one decent performance - and I didn't think he was all that convincing - makes him a good shout for left back. Time after time he has played badly and the defensive side of his game is very suspect.

He does look brighter going forward though. If he is ever to make it I reckon it'll be as a left mid, as he looks far better attacking then defending. Perhaps with Ped's lack of form he could be given a go at left mid, but at the moment he's too suspect defensively to get near the lb spot.

I remember a young ashley cole who couldn't defend for love nor money, now he is possibley the best left back in the world. Defenders need experience, and they need time to gel with the rest of the back four. Olsson needs a loan move where he has a nailed on spot at left back, but personally i wouldnt be that against him starting a few more games for us.

Archived