BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Yellow Light Of Death

My PS3 died today. I didn't back up the game saves for quite some time so all my FIFA 10 progress and a massive chunk of Fallout3 stuff will be lost forever.

Unless of course any of you have a good idea?

In the meantime my wonderful wife allowed me to get the PS3 slim.

Still gutted but at least I get a new dualshoc and Uncharted 3!

Anyone else suffered from this PS3 disease?

My PS3 died today. I didn't back up the game saves for quite some time so all my FIFA 10 progress and a massive chunk of Fallout3 stuff will be lost forever.

Unless of course any of you have a good idea?

In the meantime my wonderful wife allowed me to get the PS3 slim.

Still gutted but at least I get a new dualshoc and Uncharted 3!

Anyone else suffered from this PS3 disease?

you may be able to salvage your saves by swapping the hard drives. though it may require a format if you swap it out.

As above you will need to contact Sony although if you don't have cover they will probably want £100 to fix it. The 'Yellow Light of Death' can mean many things (so they say) so it would be hard to pinpoint from that going off what the problem is.

Not sure what they will say if you tell them you already bought a PS3 slim. Could go some way to help with payment - this is obviously a long shot but worth mentioning.

Fifa doesn't matter but I sympathise about your Fallout 3 saves :(

Thanks guys.

Warrenty is a definate no-no... My darling son saw to that when he crammed his jigsaw and stickers in there!

Call me crazy but I am considering the 'heat gun' repair option - if only to get at the save games and sell to a dealer or something... :wacko:

• Backroom

where did you get your slim from out of interest? Can't decide on the best offer around.

Anyone know if console deal are likely to be cheaper or more towards xmas?

Guest Kamy100

There are some really good deals at the moment, £250 with 2 games (Uncharted 2 and FIFA 10), however I would hold fire until late November as retailers will most likely be offering even better deals in the run up to Christmas.

I agree dazmaz. But a working slim ps3 is better than a broken fat ps3 so I will put up with it for now!

TCO - I got it from asda, reduced to £217 when bought with another game (Uncharted 2 - £34.99).

However, they also have the 250Gb version with the mentioned game included for £280. I had to think about it as I was very tempted. Unfortunately, I was already in trouble as I was buying the replacement without consulting the missus in the first place so had to leave it!

Mine died the other day, got the error message which means the blu ray disk reader is buggered <_< . And seeing as it was a present from my ex girlfriend, i have no chance of getting a repair for free seeing as 'she can't find it'.

Thing is somtimes it is working and somtimes it isnt. Thinking could i possibley get away with trading it in :unsure::blush: .

Thing is somtimes it is working and somtimes it isnt. Thinking could i possibley get away with trading it in :unsure::blush: .

I would strongly advise against doing that as it will come back to bite you. When you trade your games/consoles they get your name and address and so if it turns out to be faulty they will be back onto you which would mean that you would have to pay them the money back.

Your best bet is just to ring sony and see what they advise.

Okay mine died yesterday YLOD!

It seems to be happening all of a sudden with the older consoles. The mrs has said that I am ok to buy a slim but I think it's a bit of a joke that they aren't accepting that it's a manufacturing fault and they are actually making people pay. I've also heard that they only give you 3 months guarentee and that most of the consoles have been getting the same fault again.

At least microsoft accepted responsibility with the RROD on the xbox, there is no way that it's coincidental. I#m hoping that I can get mine going again as I will be trading it in, as long as it works when I take it into the store then I can't be held responsible. At the end of the day Game etc can afford to get them fixed for cheap or free so why should we have to pay for it. I paid over £500 for mine less than 2 years ago, so for that price you'd expect it to last longer.

Guest Kamy100

OK this seems to be a huge problem, lots of people on other Forums are posting the YLOD, it seems that there has been a sharp increase since the last firmware update. I am going to take this up and get the media involved, please can people tell me what exactly are Sony Customer Service saying when you ring up to report the fault.

I think that Sony have included something in the last Firmware update which has caused older consoles to overheat/work above their capacity which is leading to the YLOD.

I haven't actually spoken to Sony, Kamy, because I know my warrenty is well and truly dead. My brother in law rang and was asked to pay £150. He refused and in his desperation to get Ghostbusters out of the BD, he ended up smashing it open (!) :blink:

Anyhow, I am concerned by the number of people reporting the latest update (3.01) appears to have led to a YLOD. Once my bro in law told me he had just done the update, alarm bells rang for me and there were a couple of reports on the web to back it up.

Normally I would definately go for it, LeChuck but I have my new slim which I was lucky enough to be able to afford.

I will try to resurrect it so I can get the game saves off and if it survives I have a mate who would appreciate it for a bit.

Archived