BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Players On The Fringe Of World Cups Squads

mark

I disagree very much that we should be looking for loan stars. Even if they settle in quickly, what good will it be if they'll have to leave in a few months? The very basics of a good team is stability. You get this with players who are here to stay and work for the team, not passangers who don't even know where they are.

Once in a while like Di Santo it is ok, but we're not a Championship side, after all.

I actually agree with this because following the Bolton game it was evident that our players need a lot more gelling to do if we're going to be a really strong team. Despite having talented players throughout the squad, it means nothing if they aren't able to work well together. So I agree and would prefer that Sam buys players on the cheap and develops them as part of the squad, rather than buy temporary loan stars (unless it's with a view to buy).

Is there a limit as to the number of players a club can sign from any given national team?

Nope.

Only limitations currently in the UK are that you have to have a work permit issued by the Home Office like any other foreign worker. They generally make a decision based on whether the the individual has played 75% of his nations matches for the national team in the last two years. I don't think that changes next year, it is only who you can include in your matchday squad (I could be wrong about this?)

EU players do not require a work permit.

Spain, Germany, France etc all have different rules for football immigration, usually more relaxed than the UK.

Here is a small list of players that want to play more often before the World Cup:

Luca Toni - Bayern Munique

Ricardo Quaresma - Inter Milan

Danny - Zenit

Nuno Gomes - Benfica

Jorge Ribeiro - Benfica

Paulo Ferreira - Chelsea

Huntelaar - AC Milan

Babel - Liverpool

Dossena - Liverpool

Van der Vaart - Real Madrid

Fernando Gago -Real Madrid

Van Nistelrooy - Real Madrid

Gattuso - AC Milan (just read that he may leave if he doesn't play more often)

Depending on who leaves Rovers in January, some of them would be of great interest for us...

And I'm sure there are more players in the same situation (Benni Mac for example).

I like the idea of taking Jorge Ribeiro on loan, with an option to buy. He would firm up the defense and give us another midfield option also.

I would only take Nuno Gomes as an on loan player.

Ricardo Quaresma would be someone to look at, if we could afford him (doubtful). He seems difficult but I think Sam could sort him out.

Maybe Salgado could pave the way to us getting some of Real Madrid's fringe players on loan while we sort out the squad's issues.

Archived