BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Players On The Fringe Of World Cups Squads

mark

A number of players will be looking to move to secure world cup places and would be willing to play out of their skin from now until the summer - surely an opportunity that someone like big sam will be looking to capitalise on.

I was thinking about our need for new wingers and loan deals for shaun wright-philips, bebtley and babel came to mind. These all fringe players for their respective countries who could be looking for jan loan deals...

So, any more for any more?

(Note, I didn't add to 'Sam's targets' becasue this is intended more as a brainstroring for us lot rather than who Sam is actually looking at).

Bloody good question, mark. There should be something we can do in Jan with this in mind.

Heskey is the one that screams out to me, and you would imagine is one that Sam would fancy.

Is Walcott a possible?

Bloody good question, mark. There should be something we can do in Jan with this in mind.

Heskey is the one that screams out to me, and you would imagine is one that Sam would fancy.

Is Walcott a possible?

Don't think Wenger will let Walcott come to Blackburn, he hates us with a passion.

I wonder if David Bentley might fancy a switch back to us????????????????????????

Realistically I can see Heskey coming, as he doesn't get masses of game time with Villa and is looking to cement his world cup place. It's not like he's at manure where you can be third choice for your position and still be ok. We're going to loose Benni in the summer, and though nowhere near as talented Heskey perhaps suits the 4-4-1-1 system better than Benni, and would probably slot in ok. Ideally I'd swap him for Roberts, but I doubt that'll happen.

Bentley needs to move, but Spurs are tight fisted and will proably only let him go on a permanent deal. Given the cash they've squeezed out of lots of clubs over transfer fees I can't see it happening. Shame as he's one of the few players I can see filling in the Dunn role, as well as being cracking on the right. He'd drastically improve the team.

As for the rest, doubt we'd get Walcott, or whether he's sam's sort of player, and given that going to rovers seems to hardly helps your chances I doubt that any of the others are a realistic possibility.

Shaun Wright-Phillips features far too much for City to be realistic as a loan option and Wenger creams his pants every time Walcott plays... There is NO WAY he would ever be allowed to leave on loan. You'd be better off looking at players who have lost their way a bit and now see this as their last opportunity at a World Cup,

At the moment Di Santo is doing a very similar job to what Heskey would do; lots of running, hassling defenders, holding the ball up and creating space for team mates...but not scoring many goals.

If Di Santo does leave in January then Heskey would be a very good loan replacement for the remainder of the season...but only if we play 4-4-2.

I disagree very much that we should be looking for loan stars. Even if they settle in quickly, what good will it be if they'll have to leave in a few months? The very basics of a good team is stability. You get this with players who are here to stay and work for the team, not passangers who don't even know where they are.

Once in a while like Di Santo it is ok, but we're not a Championship side, after all.

At the moment Di Santo is doing a very similar job to what Heskey would do; lots of running, hassling defenders, holding the ball up and creating space for team mates...but not scoring many goals.

If Di Santo does leave in January then Heskey would be a very good loan replacement for the remainder of the season...but only if we play 4-4-2.

As much as I like Franco, Heskey will fulfill that role to far greater effect than he has done so far.

In addition (and far more importantly for the immediate future of the club) Heskey would be an absolute dream for Kalinic to play alongside.

Whilst I admit to not seeing many games at all, I cannot say I'd prefer Heskey to Di Santo. The former is a 30 year old plank who scores less than Cliff Richard in the Vatican, whilst the other does actually have movement and a bit of a footballing brain. Heskey is clueless and runs around and falls over, and we already have Roberts to perform the non-scoring workhorse role.

I would rather have Di Santo due to his potential resale value but I can definitely see why so many managers like Emile Heskey. By being against him you are saying that you know better than:

Peter Taylor

O'Neill

Houillier

Bruce

Jewell

Capello

Eriksson

He is a great player, just accept that the work he does creates goals for his team mates. It's a fact!

I don't knock his work rate. He does try hard, and puts in effort. However, when your team is not loaded with free-scoring talent why the hell would you want a non-scoring striker on big wages in your squad? And aren't strikers supposed to score the odd goal or two? He's as lethal as Mokoena on that count.

You can list as many managers as you like Bucky, Heskey is an over rated lump whose lack of talent has made him into the tugboat he is now. David May has played under Ferguson and Dalglish and yet he's not exactly regarded as a great defender is he? Steve McManaman has also played for some great managers, but he's not a legend of the game. Emile works hard and gets in the way a lot, but wouldn't you want more from a striker like a few goals and a decent first touch?

Di Santo has only scored 1 goal, whereas Dunn has 6 (I think).

Do you not think the two are related? It does not matter if other players are scoring. I don't remember him scoring many at Wigan but I know that (most) of their fans were disappointed when he left for Villa.

So yes, I do think Fabio Capello (and Sam) know more about Emile Heskey than both you and I, and I would like him to sign him if Di Santo buggers off back to Chelsea.

Do you not think the two are related? It does not matter if other players are scoring. I don't remember him scoring many at Wigan but I know that (most) of their fans were disappointed when he left for Villa.

So yes, I do think Fabio Capello (and Sam) know more about Emile Heskey than both you and I, and I would like him to sign him if Di Santo buggers off back to Chelsea.

An even better comparison from his time at Wigan...

Look how many goals Amr Zaki scored from August - January when playing alongside Heskey, then look how many he scored after Heskey left. Wasn't it something like 10 with Heskey and 0 without? This kind of form is replicated with other strikers too.

There is too much evidence to suggested things like this are a coincidence. If Di Santo does go Heskey would be excellent on a 6 month loan deal (I appreciate he is not one for signing on a permanent basis).

Archived