BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Grant Hanley

Youth team captain - Central defence

He has been given a squad number (31) for the rest of the season. Watching him this season and last, I thought he was the more likely to break into the first team out of him and Phil Jones. Allardyce has said he is going to give the youth the chance for the rest of the season. Will we see him sometime in the rest of this season?

Deserves it probably on recent performances for the academy, find it bid odd since the defence is meant to be back fit again but guess Allardyce is going with youth for the rest of the season, surprised he is the first one though!

Good luck to the lad though!

Allardyce probably can't believe his luck coming to a club with a coherent academy set up that should(on paper) be producing outstanding kids....His last 2 clubs have been the total opposite(although newcastle have pulled their socks up recently) in terms of quality of facilities and talent...Notlob's academy has been a joke for the last 10 years(maybe sam had something to do with this..I dunno)....

I commend sam for going down the youth route...maybe it will free wages to go on some real quality up front.

I thought the barcodes closed their academy for 12 months and stopped the reserve side playing competetive games as a cash saving exercise.

I know they certainly laid off some staff.

I know the Messiah Keegan stopped the reserve side playing competetive games for some time.

I'm sure that I read somewhere Allardyce saying that now we are safe, he is going to blood some players that haven't yet appeared. Think he may mean the likes of Linganzi, Basturk, Doran.

He suggested he might look at a few other options - but I dont think he specifically said 'Youth'. Id expect the type of players you mentioned above to play more than someone like Hanley..

I thought the barcodes closed their academy for 12 months and stopped the reserve side playing competetive games as a cash saving exercise.

I know they certainly laid off some staff.

Their academy is definitely up and running again now, Shola Ameobi's brother plays for them, we beat them earlier this year. They still have a reserve team to, but obviously not in the premier division north :lol:

Archived