BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Learning To Drive - Crash Courses

I'm wanting to drive as soon as possible so I'm considering one of these crash courses (ironic choice of name).

Has anyone done one before, or know of anyone who has? I'm struggling to find anything unbiased on the internet.

Price wise they seem okay, a 30 hour course over a week + tests is £600. That's not much different to the traditional way, is it?

Its just intense. Mate of mine did his in Blackpool - think he spent the week learning & driving and then did the test on the friday. He passed easy enough - he paid £600 ish too I think.

Want to know which one? I could probably find out for you.

I did the intensive course, start Monday / test Friday route and passed first time. I think it is better as you do not spend as long each lesson "getting used to the car" again. Plus you get to drive for greater distances in many different levels of traffic; something you don't do if you have a weekly lesson at 17:30 on a Tuesday each week for example.

Cost wise worked out about the same as you say. Would definitely recommend it.

Its just intense. Mate of mine did his in Blackpool - think he spent the week learning & driving and then did the test on the friday. He passed easy enough - he paid £600 ish too I think.

Want to know which one? I could probably find out for you.

I'd like that please!

..You learn real driving (long runs, Motorways,tough parking etc)after the test anyway no matter how learn for it..Provided you realise the limitations of the driving lessons and of crash courses then why not get the test out of the way .Dont know how driving test works nowadays but dont see the point of spending more if your test is months away and you are on a wait list..If you take the test straightaway on Completion of the course then it looks a good deal

I'd imagine those crash courses are the best. Whatever you do don't go on an open ended agreement with a driving instructer or you will end up having your neck pulled out and forking out at least half as much again as your quote before you get near a test next year sometime.

Thanks AB, that's encouraging.

Did you have any experience of driving before you started? I've never really done it at all.

No real previous experience apart from mucking about on the odd tractor / dumper truck. I would definitely recommend the intensive route as I said before.

Cant remeber exactly which school I used but it was one of the "majors" ie. BSM, AA etc

Good luck!

I booked a package of 10 lessons for £185, that includes the use of the car and insurance for your test day too.

I'm on my 12th lesson and I'm paying £20 per single lesson now. It was always a bit optimistic hoping to pass the test after only 10 lessons anyway.

How do these crash courses work? I take it you need a week off work and he calls for you everyday..?

I was gonna do a course like this but just went for intensive lessons, did 8, 2 hour lessons and went from first lesson to pass in 27 days, could be worth doing that. Gives you chance to digest what you learn.

Archived