BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tensions

brfcdec

Is anybody feeling a bit more...tension at rovers matches? I don't mean about results, I mean crowd anxiety. I'm 19 and I haven't been going long, but with the darwen end movement and us still giving some clubs 8000 I get the feeling a lot are angered by this. I think our "take ewood back" incentive has been brilliant, but a lot are trying to make blackburn itself a much more hostile place to come, which in some ways isn't a bad thing. It infuriates me when I watch united bring 8000 when we are trying to make ewood a fortress, I would much rather see 4000 empty seats. But even in the stands I'm hearing more talk of...well not hooliganism, but...lets say "rowdyness" with the fans. I really do think fans are sick of seeing the opposition looking at blackburn away as a brilliant day out, and there are a lot of grumblings around ewood about this. Obviously i'm not condoning any violent actions, but I would like to see blackburn become once again a hard place to come. For example every ground I've been in birmingham has been very...for want of a better word..hostile. It's hard for me to say this in a way that doesn't seem to somehow condone hooliganism. I am very proud of the fact that blackburn is a friendly town, that you can walk into 99 percent of pubs as an away fan and have a good conversation with us, a feat that not many clubs can boast. But then when I went to uni and met fans of a variety of different clubs, I always get the same message: everybody loves to come to blackburn. They are treated better than the home fans, they get all the seats they want, a massive pub right next to the ground and bragging rights of blackburn. Speak to any liverpool or united fan and they will tell you that one of their favourite days out is blackburn, simply because they can do what they please. Is this right? I'm not to sure, I would like to hear your opinions

I'm pleased fans of other teams enjoy going to Ewood Park and have a brilliant day out. I think that should be the same at every club. We've got to remember that we're going to the games because we want to watch football. I think the opposition see Blackburn as an ideal day out because it's prices are usually low or there is a brilliant deal on (i.e. £10 a game) and they know that Ewood Park has facilities up there with the best of them. Like you said, there is an excellent pub across the road, there's loads of takeaways for fans to eat pre-match and more importantly the Rovers fans are very friendly because they all love their football. I personally love going to Charlton Ath because it's close to the station, theres a nice fish and chip shop a few metres from the ground and the fans are friendly and welcoming.

I think last season showed that Ewood Park is a very tough place to come, especially with the style of football we play. We don't make it easy for the teams and I think we've had many reports in the paper from the opposition managers confirming that and of course our brilliant home record under Big Sam since he's joined us backs that up too. I also think the Rovers home fans can raise the roof when they really need too.

Only 3 clubs get the whole Darwen End- couple of years ago there were no Rovers fans in the DE

As JW has said, he wishes away fans only had the top tier- that's including United etc- unfortunately there is not the demand

As for I'd rather leave 4000 empty seats- get real, what business is going to turn down 4000 fans at £35 a head!

United and City love Ewood because there is big demand for away tickets and a large allocation satisfies that demand. Also, many get off the train in Darwen, hit every pub until they reach the ground and get generally racous.

Who cares if they have the Fernhurst to themselves, who wants to spend pre match with arrogant pi$$ed up LFC/Utd fans?

As for other clubs, I like the fact we are welcoming and it is the same at the vast majority of away grounds I go to. That includes Liverpool, Arsenal, Villa, Everton etc. Banter yes, out and out agression no.

You and the 'Blue Beigade' really do not want the 'nawty'' days back.

Oh and it's Rovers not 'Blackburn'.

Is anybody feeling a bit more...tension at rovers matches? I don't mean about results, I mean crowd anxiety. I'm 19 and I haven't been going long, but with the darwen end movement and us still giving some clubs 8000 I get the feeling a lot are angered by this. I think our "take ewood back" incentive has been brilliant, but a lot are trying to make blackburn itself a much more hostile place to come, which in some ways isn't a bad thing. It infuriates me when I watch united bring 8000 when we are trying to make ewood a fortress, I would much rather see 4000 empty seats. But even in the stands I'm hearing more talk of...well not hooliganism, but...lets say "rowdyness" with the fans. I really do think fans are sick of seeing the opposition looking at blackburn away as a brilliant day out, and there are a lot of grumblings around ewood about this. Obviously i'm not condoning any violent actions, but I would like to see blackburn become once again a hard place to come. For example every ground I've been in birmingham has been very...for want of a better word..hostile. It's hard for me to say this in a way that doesn't seem to somehow condone hooliganism. I am very proud of the fact that blackburn is a friendly town, that you can walk into 99 percent of pubs as an away fan and have a good conversation with us, a feat that not many clubs can boast. But then when I went to uni and met fans of a variety of different clubs, I always get the same message: everybody loves to come to blackburn. They are treated better than the home fans, they get all the seats they want, a massive pub right next to the ground and bragging rights of blackburn. Speak to any liverpool or united fan and they will tell you that one of their favourite days out is blackburn, simply because they can do what they please. Is this right? I'm not to sure, I would like to hear your opinions

This is probably one of the worst posts I've seen on this messageboard and that is not an easy feat to accomplish.

You are 19 and I imagine that your hormones are still clouding your vision somewhat. Why on earth would you want to make Ewood feel hostile for opposing fans? They bring in hundreds of thousands of pounds into the club every year. By all means, we should chant and sing and make the opposition feel our presence, but a Man Utd fan turning up with his two kids should be treated like animals? I love that you can mingle with opposition fans outside the ground now. People are gradually becoming more grown up about football. All the emotion needs to stay inside the stadium.

Speak to any liverpool or united fan and they will tell you that one of their favourite days out is blackburn, simply because they can do what they please. Is this right? I'm not to sure, I would like to hear your opinions

Anfield is a fabulous ground to visit, one of the best so it seems right we should treat the scousers well. Old Trafford is one of the worst grounds in the country for away support so perhaps we should be showing the Utd fans how it should be done. I feel you should visit a few of the grounds were the away support are treated like sh!t, so badly I refuse to go back. I'd be truely disappointed if Ewood Park ever had the faintest indication of being a bad ground to visit. I think your priorities are a little skewed, you might want to discuss how the atmosphere can be more hostile to visiting teams, but that's a whole different discussion.

Going to a football match should be an enjoyable experience. It should not be a place of hostility. Bear in mind that it is not only men that go to matches, but women and children, elderly adults and disabled people. I would not want these people to go to games in fear, surrounded by hostility.

Every supporter has paid good money to get to these games. Hostility breeds hostility it become a desease that football once had. As you say you are 19 years old. So you would not of experienced the hostility, violence that football once had. I would hate for those days to return. Sadly there are still grounds where you have to be on alert for trouble. I would not want ewood park to be that type of place.

Of course I want every team that plays against Rovers at ewood park to go away with no points - sadly a dream that will never happen. But I would want every supporter to have a good day out at Ewood Park and also in Blackburn itself - if they get to Blackburn early. A football club should be able to help the local businesses because of the crowds they attract. Creating hostility would be a burden on everybody in and outside of football.

By all means create an atmosphere where home supporters out sing the away support. Silence them by your own support for the team.

One ground I enjoy visiting is Fulham. Walking through the park to the ground, you mix with supporters from both teams in a friendly atmosphere. They also have, for certain games, an area where you can just turn up on the day - a neutral zone.

Today at Ewood Park people can walk from the darwen end to the shop, mingle and talk with supporters from both clubs, along outside the Jack Walker stand. That is what football should be, an enjoyable day out.

I enjoy the friendly rivalry between Rovers and Burnley. But I detest the hatred and the hostility that each has towards each other. I would go as far to say that today it is an embarrassment to football, to each clubs supporters and to that part of Lancashire.

Look how each set of supporters had to travel to the away games last season, because that is what hostility at football matches creates. That is not football, that is lunacy.

Keep football matches and enjoyable experience for all.

Compared to the 1970's attending a game at Ewood these days is about as tense as having tea and scones with the vicar.

I hope away fans enjoy every bit of their visit to Ewood, bar the actual game - unless they like losing.

I'd rather have Rovers fans keeping the Mancs out but we don't have the people coming in. 4000 empty seats would mean £120,000 lost in ticket sales as well.

Its been the same for years with regards to teams getting the full end, so why would it be tense now?!

Its a contradiction mentioned the Darwen Enders... the club has started giving us home seats in the Darwen End back, but there's tension because for three games this isn't the case?

And I sit in thee Darwen End, and I love it, but believe me, if a lot of those tried it on with the majority of away fans they'd get a good kicking!

And I've not really seen any trouble at Ewood in a long time! Its away days where this has happened, and that's only because of a few groups of chavs who act hard, but wouldn't actually do anything!

:rolleyes:

• Guest featured and unfeatured this topic

Archived