BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summertime Blues.........

Paul

I appreciate for some I come across as something of a traditionalist in my views on football. That is something I'd argue against as my feelings are driven by the view many of the changes seen in recent years do not improve the fans' experience. I don't necesarily believe things were better in a dim and distant past but do feel the "experience" was better in many ways...................if that makes any sense?

With the Qatar World Cup not so far away - and I believe this will be rescheduled to suit the climatic conditions - there is a possibility of a permanent seismic shift in the football calendar. There will be a significant trial of the "summer season" It's official: summer football starts in June - in Tyne & Wear from June 1st this year. OK the arguements in this article are logical and in many ways acceptable but I wonder at the overall impact of such a trial and the Qatar WC.

Sports have their seasons, the Christmas programme is an exciting time, Easter used to be a great weekend of football till someone changed it for reasons I forget. Saturday afternoon 3.00 - 5.00pm was not to be missed EVERY Saturday, but now it sort of drifts past as the results are no longer as important in overall context as they once were.

For the fans the impact could be dramatic. Do we all suddenly switch to winter holidays instead of summer holidays? For most ST holders a summer game will probably mean missing at least two matches they have paid for and possible a League or FA Cup tie. I like to amble down to Old Trafford for the cricket from time to time but certainly wouldn't go if Utd were at home and don't have the time to fit in both cricket and football at a weekend. I gather RFL changed to a summer season to increase attendances, has it worked I don't know. For the shift to an RFL summer season has had no impact on my desire to watch the sport.

I'm sure the game's administrators will roll out all the usual arguments but does it work for you and me?

In Norway the season starts in March and lasts until early November due to weather conditions. Works out well, but I believe the attendance is lower during the latter weeks of July, especially, which is when most are having their summer holiday. There are a few smaller breaks however, a couple of weeks around June/july I believe.

So many changes would have to be made to accommodate this:

1.) How do you start in March? Do you finish 1 season and then wait 10 odd months for the next one or do you cram it in and hope the players cope?

2.) Fitting into 32 weeks, 38 prem matches, the FA cup, League cup, europa league and champions, good luck as the big boys will end up playing 3 games a week. Something will have to give and it will most likely mean fewer teams in our top league.

3.) It will kill our summer sports.

I just can't see it happening and I wonder what will happen should they try and force the issue? Its been tried before and Spain and Italy raised doubts so you have to expect the same from them again and there's no way the premiership will agree to this.

Will this be the straw that breaks the camels back?

MLS already plays from March to October/November. But I thought FIFA was critical of the schedule and of the lack of relegation from MLS to NASL and vice-versa (something I would like to see enacted). So why they would be pushing a change now is confusing.

Summer football would probably be the end of regular watching Rovers for me. I simply do too many other things between April and October to make a season ticket worthwhile

No chance of our buying our 3 season tickets either. We're in France for spring aBank and then from late July to early September. It's bad enough at the moment as we always miss the first game or 2 of every season but we couldn't justify the cost if we were missing 6 or so

I don't think it will have much of an impact to be honest. I'd actually be surprised if the Qatar World Cup gets moved.

With the Champions League, there would have to be a co-ordination between the big leagues for it to get off the ground I think. Unlike Rugby League, Football doesn't have an alternative code to compete with either.

Revolutions have been started over less.

I can't see it ever getting moved. For many obsessed with, and over-influenced by, media perceptions of the game, this is a logical, maybe even reasonable, move. For me, though, it just shows how far football has become commodified. It's a product to be sold, and bought.

Many might buy it as a summer game. But more probably won't and those that do will expect a product.

Football is built on loyalty, especially loyalty to a geographical area to which people feel an emotional if not - these days - physical connection. That loyalty has been eroded by the money which has largely benefitted the suits in the media, the games administrators and a few top players. The fans have been left to feel grateful for more modern stadia. Thanks. When it comes to opinions, how do fans get their voices heard.

!!Kerching!!

The football suits won't go with this because they will fear a dip in incomes as fans loyalty becomes ever more fickle. I am glad I don't live in London for example, or I'd be a football exile because of the price structure.

One kick back that might work in this scenario. If the Premier League does move to a summer season, the rest of the football world could benefit. I went to Lancaster City against Clitheroe last night at the Giant Axe. The only thing missing at that level is crowd numbers not passion. I can't see that crowd rejecting tradition for a winter break. Lower league football could benefit and I would support that. There's no place for the glory supporters and faint-hearted further down the pyramid, on or off the pitch.

No chance of our buying our 3 season tickets either. We're in France for spring aBank and then from late July to early September. It's bad enough at the moment as we always miss the first game or 2 of every season but we couldn't justify the cost if we were missing 6 or so

We could always ask for the school holidays to be rescheduled, longer winter breaks and shorter summer, sorted!. :)

Archived