BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] London

so does that mean i should ether go all cash or all credit on the oyster card?

If you're going to be using the transport frequently every day I wouldn't bother with the Oyster Card, I'd just get a day travel card. If you're only going to be making a couple of journeys a day on the transport, the Oyster will save you a bit of money.

If you're going to be using the transport frequently every day I wouldn't bother with the Oyster Card, I'd just get a day travel card. If you're only going to be making a couple of journeys a day on the transport, the Oyster will save you a bit of money.

No - As I understand it an Oyster card will always save you money. If you use it a lot in one day it will never charge you more than a one day travelcard. If you can, try to avoid travelling before 9.30 Monday to Friday as you will then avoid peak time charges whatever ticket you get. Whatever you do never buy a single ticket with cash - this is a minimum of £4 compared to £1.90 off peak with an Oyster card.

Also, whilst Brick Lane does have a lot of curry houses, many of them OK, it is these days a bit of a tourist trap. You will get better quality and value if you dive into the streets between Whitechapel road and Commercial Road just to the south of Brick Lane. Tayyabs on Fieldgate Street in particular is very highly thought of although you will almost certainly have to queue to get in. Many of these will be unlicensed but the majority (although not all) allow you to take your own booze in, which can of course save you a lot.

No - As I understand it an Oyster card will always save you money. If you use it a lot in one day it will never charge you more than a one day travelcard. If you can, try to avoid travelling before 9.30 Monday to Friday as you will then avoid peak time charges whatever ticket you get.

This isn't 100% true. Oyster Cards will restart at midnight, whereas a day travel card will run through until 4am. So if you're out until after midnight and want to get home, you'll have to top up your Oyster. You can't but off peak travel cards during the week now (only weekends), so it's only the Oyster card that will be effected by the peak charges.

Are you here for a week or more? If so I'd get an Oyster card and then top it up with a weekly travelcard (This is what it's called, but it's basically an upfront amount you pay and the perks of which are registered to your Oyster Card).

If you're not here that long but will be using the transport a lot then I really wouldn't bother getting an Oyster, as the daily travel cards you can buy do the same job, but are valid for those extra few hours after midnight.

This isn't 100% true. Oyster Cards will restart at midnight, whereas a day travel card will run through until 4am. So if you're out until after midnight and want to get home, you'll have to top up your Oyster. You can't but off peak travel cards during the week now (only weekends), so it's only the Oyster card that will be effected by the peak charges.

Are you here for a week or more? If so I'd get an Oyster card and then top it up with a weekly travelcard (This is what it's called, but it's basically an upfront amount you pay and the perks of which are registered to your Oyster Card).

If you're not here that long but will be using the transport a lot then I really wouldn't bother getting an Oyster, as the daily travel cards you can buy do the same job, but are valid for those extra few hours after midnight.

Ignore this post as it's totally incorrect. The Oyster card is always the cheapest option whatever the time of travel - download the leaflet here - Getting Around With Oyster. Basically it will only debit you for the journeys you take (at a far lower price than for a walk up ticket) and then cap your total daily amount at the appropriate Travelcard amount, and will then stop debiting your card.

the Oyster daily price cap allows you to travel as many times as you like in a day (from 0430 and before 0430 the next day), and you'll never pay more than the cost of an equivalent Day Travelcard*

The previous posts by BigA, O2G and cn174 are sound. If you do travel in the morning peak you will get charged more than if you make your earliest swipe into the system after 9.30am (the fares are on the tfl website).

Also, if you ever come back to London and have kept your Oyster card then the credit will still be valid (I say this because I emptied my wallet the other day and found a New York MTA Metrocard which expired in 2009, and I know there was credit on it). Or you can get refunded as explained earlier in the thread.

Make sure you go to Camden in your three days. There is live music every night somewhere there, and a great choice of food and drink of all types and at all prices ... and the markets will keep you entertained for half a day even if you don't buy owt.

Ignore this post as it's totally incorrect. The Oyster card is always the cheapest option whatever the time of travel - download the leaflet here - Getting Around With Oyster. Basically it will only debit you for the journeys you take (at a far lower price than for a walk up ticket) and then cap your total daily amount at the appropriate Travelcard amount, and will then stop debiting your card.

I've not disputed that, I've mentioned the fact that travel cards gives the benefit of lasting until 4am, whereas the oyster will require you to top up at midnight, were you still out.

And thanks for telling me I'm totally incorrect. I used an Oyster card every day of my life, but hey, you know best.

CaliRoverNYC, My post is 100% accurate, regardless of Tris' statement that seems to ignore the basis of my post. In fact Tris, do you care to point out exactly which part of my post is ''totally incorrect?''

from 0430 and before 0430 the next day :rolleyes:

From the "Getting Around with Oyster" leaflet in the link above.

No top up required at midnight - Oyster works exactly like a standard travelcard.

Perhaps you should be writing the leaflets S15?

Guest linganzi

even though ive not lived there for a bit I do visit a fair amount so keep a card on the go and it it seems to work out well, not sure where this midnight top up thing is from?? i used to just budget one for a month and use it whenever

from 0430 and before 0430 the next day :rolleyes:

Fair enough then; that's definitely a fairly updated procedure, as before I reverted to the monthly passes the scenario I'm referring to used to drive me crazy.

Thanks for all the help guys I feel that I have a good idea what to expect in london I just have a couple more questions.

What should I expect to pay for a pint in london? and What should I expect to pay for a pint in Lancashire? just trying to have an idea before I head over. In NYC most pints will be 5 or 6 dollars which is between 3 and 4 gbp.

Also I plan on watching the champions league match at a pub in london on april the 13th. Anything I need to know regarding that? I imagine there will be pubs I can't get into if Spurs or Chelsea are involved in that match but I just wanted to know if theres anything I might be overlooking.

cheers guys

For premium beer e.g. not Fosters etc, say about £2.80 in LANCS and in the touristy parts of London around £3.50 if not more.

You'll also struggle to find a pub anywhere in England that isn't showing the football but because of the vast number of pubs you'll have no problem finding somewhere to watch any screened match you want.

i'd say a beer in london is around 3.50 ish, however be careful with 'trendy' bars who only sell bottles, they can generally charge 4.50 upwards. Obviously it depends where you are drinking but i know of places near leicester square that charge £6 + for alcopops.

Talking of York (ish) i'd have a quick search for the Samuel Smith Pubs in london, the beers not to everyones taste, but a pint is about £2.10 in london for Taddys or SamualSmiths, with the premium beer at £3. well worth a visit, good crowd in these as well.

check out voucher sites before you come as well as there are many offers to be found.

If you're after photos with Guards etc. The best place is found at the top of st james park. You can walk through the royal mews (big empty courtyard type area), walk through the archway and there will be guards on duty in the courtyard and two on horse at the front.

I'd try and follow a path of Buckingham Palace, St James Park, Trafalgar Sq, Whitehall, Royal Stables,Downing Street, Westminster Abbey, Westminster Big Ben, London Eye. It doesnt take as long as you think but you may need to visit a Sammy Smiths Pub (The Chandos) at the end. Then Up through Leicester Square, China town and up Regents Street. Its a lot of walking so bring some comfy trainers!!

Archived