BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Seeking help for trip planning!

Hello helpful folks!

I will be in London in late August and am planning to catch a couple of Rovers games. During my first pilgrimage to Ewood in 2009, board members were very helpful and provided great information which facilitated my trip. This time, I have run into some roadblocks in my planning, so I thought I should tap this great community resource again. I would appreciate your kind advice, so thanks in advance. =) My questions are:

1a.) Match days - I know games are moved for TV coverage. May I know how far ahead of time are the match dates and times confirmed? This is very important for me because I'm currently scheduled to land in London on 23 Aug, but I'm considering going earlier so that I can catch the match at Villa on 20 Aug weekend. (Not optimistic that we will win, but hey, we're all suckers for punishment aren't we?)

1b.) Tickets - How can I get tickets to an away game? Possible to buy this online? I should be in the Ewood system because I was at Ewood for the WBA match(Tugay's farewell).

1b.) Everton at Ewood on 27 Aug - I will definitely make the trip to Ewood for the game against Everton, but will need to know if it will be shifted to the Sunday so I can plan my travel. When can I expect this be confirmed? It affects my hotel bookings in London.

2a.) Travel arrangements - London to Birmingham and back: Is it feasible to do this as a day trip out of London, or is it better to base myself in Birmingham for that weekend? I'm not familiar with Birmingham, so would take any advice on whether there's anything interesting to see there.

2b.) As for the Everton match at Ewood, is it feasible to travel to Ewood from London on matchday (and then head back to London)? I've checked the Nationalrail website, and the trip takes over 3 hours each way with 2 changes per trip. Beyond the train or flying to Manchester, are there any alternative modes of transport? In addition, would be great if anyone could suggest a more cost-effective way of doing the trip up north from London...

2c.) If it is better to stay nearer Blackburn for the weekend, any suggestions on where would be a good location to base myself? I visited Manchester and the Lake District during my last trip, but am not very keen on Manchester again.

3.) Does anyone have a recommendation for a good (but still affordable) photographer to take location shots at Ewood? I'm visiting London with the wife-to-be to take our engagement photos, and we thought it would be really cool to have a set of photos taken at Ewood too. But as I said, cost is a factor because we've already engaged a photographer for London. In terms of requirements, we will only require the photographer's services for a couple of hours. (If any budding photographer is keen to volunteer, please text me!)

This is all for now, thanks again in advance for your help!

Best regards,

Victor

• Backroom

Vyeo, glad you are making the trip up mate.

As for fixtures in the past sky have announced their first batch of televised games around 30 June - 1st July I believe so not long to wait on that front.

You should be able to purchase tickets being on the rovers system if not the club are often accomodating if you ring them and explain, these aren't hostile fixtures so there shouldn't be an issue.

You can do the megabus from London to Preston I think although that name Borders on false advertising IMO.

Just priced up megabus and it would be £46 return total for two of you leaving London at 8am Saturday arriving Preston at 13:40 then leaving Preston at 2am arriving London at 07:05 am on the Sunday. Not ideal timing for the return journey and about 5 hours each way.

Vyeo, glad you are making the trip up mate.

As for fixtures in the past sky have announced their first batch of televised games around 30 June - 1st July I believe so not long to wait on that front.

You should be able to purchase tickets being on the rovers system if not the club are often accomodating if you ring them and explain, these aren't hostile fixtures so there shouldn't be an issue.

You can do the megabus from London to Preston I think although that name Borders on false advertising IMO.

Just priced up megabus and it would be £46 return total for two of you leaving London at 8am Saturday arriving Preston at 13:40 then leaving Preston at 2am arriving London at 07:05 am on the Sunday. Not ideal timing for the return journey and about 5 hours each way.

Wife and I coming up tomorrow for the weekend and using National Express from London - a £30.00 return from london.

Thanks for the comments guys.

TCO - Appreciate you running the quick check for me on the bus website. The trip up sounds very do-able, but you are right that the return is somewhat daunting...

I think I can't do anything now except wait for the tv schedule to be confirmed before finalising my itinerary and making my hotel bookings.

Just to check, is it easy to get to Bath from Manchester? Any estimates about the time needed to make such a trip?

2a.) Travel arrangements - London to Birmingham and back: Is it feasible to do this as a day trip out of London, or is it better to base myself in Birmingham for that weekend? I'm not familiar with Birmingham, so would take any advice on whether there's anything interesting to see there.

I lived in Birmingham for almost 15 years - the city has been revamped in the last 5 years or so - the new Bullring shopping centre is very good. From Birmingham most tourists would go to Stratford for the Shakespeare connection and Warwick (for the castle) is another popular excursion. Birmingham / London trains are frequent & can be fast - I used to go from Birmingham International to London for work quite frequently - some journeys were as quick as 75 minutes. Rail travel in UK is not especially cheap though. see www.trainline.com

2c.) If it is better to stay nearer Blackburn for the weekend, any suggestions on where would be a good location to base myself? I visited Manchester and the Lake District during my last trip, but am not very keen on Manchester again.

Try Liverpool if you want another city break - city centre massively overhauled recently & Albert Dock has plenty to see, new Liverpool 1 shopping centre & loads of Beatles attractions !

Countryside ? Try Ribble Valley - peace, quiet rural etc - look up Clitheroe, Waddington, Slaidburn etc on t'internet....

Hope that helps...

Just to check, is it easy to get to Bath from Manchester? Any estimates about the time needed to make such a trip?

Hi Victor,

There is a train from Manchester to Bristol, which is close to Bath. I don't think there is a direct train.

With regard to the trip up from London for the Everton match, I would suggest getting the train to Manchester piccadilly station from London (2 hrs 6 minutes) and then walk ( ten minutes) to Manchester Victoria train station to catch a train to Blackburn. The London - Manchester route is far more frequent than the London - Preston route and so the fares are much cheaper.

Personally I wouldn't even consider other travel options!

Good luck.

Hi Victor,

There is a train from Manchester to Bristol, which is close to Bath. I don't think there is a direct train.

With regard to the trip up from London for the Everton match, I would suggest getting the train to Manchester piccadilly station from London (2 hrs 6 minutes) and then walk ( ten minutes) to Manchester Victoria train station to catch a train to Blackburn. The London - Manchester route is far more frequent than the London - Preston route and so the fares are much cheaper.

Personally I wouldn't even consider other travel options!

Good luck.

My wife and I stayed in Blackburn over the weekend (woodlands Hotel on preston new rd) Took my wife and I 8 hours on the National Express coach from Blacburn to London today. Then another two hour train trip home. Total price of £30.00 each, return was the only good part.

National Express can be a bit tedious. Hope you enjoyed your weekend otherwise.

The weekend was fine - thanks. Though, I do not recommend the tia eating place at the woodlands hotel. But the woodlands hotel itself was ok. Though we think the travelodge is more convienient for bus routes etc.

Archived