BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ultimate holiday destination

OK, this isn't easy for me, - but if you had the chance for one more holiday and it could be anywhere in the world, where would it be and why? What is your ultimate holiday destination?

Oh, and it can't be somewhere you have already been to.

I have two, one is more realistic than the other. Firstly, I would love to go right around America from east to west coast, see loads of cities and national parks. Starting in Canada, down the coast to NY and that, then inland to Chicago again, right across to Seattle, down that coast, then through Texas, then Florida and up again.

My other one isn't really a holiday destination at all but when I was younger I was fascinated by space (I even applied to do work experience at nasa once lol), not so much now, but someday when Richard Branson gets his act together it would be cool to go to space. Tho he can just about manage to get a train to London on time, so I'm not holding my breath!!

Japan, never been there but would love to. Might go there in a couple of years though, have plans to head across Russia and Mongolia via the trans Siberian before ending up in Japan.

Have been several places I could recommend as ultimate holiday destinations but those aren't the purposes of this thread...

Have been several places I could recommend as ultimate holiday destinations but those aren't the purposes of this thread...

Yes, I don't want a list of exotic places that we could all recommend - that would be boring. It has to be the ultimate trip/visit. There are loads of places i could think of that I would love to go to, but to choose one above all the others is difficult.

So, in other words, one place above all others that you would choose - and why.

I've never been to Cuba.

The architecture; the history of the place; the Ernest Hemmingway connection; the music; the fact that it has got a better literacy rate and health care than the USA. Then just to enjoy that the most powerful nation on earth has been trying to screw this nation into oblivion for the past 50 years.

With apologies to any USA based posters & for the politics.

I'd also quite like to go to Antartica; to see some penguins & go to the South Pole. Ridiculous, I know.

But you did ask.

Oh boy- that's a tricky one.

Visit the graves of Jacques Brel and Paul Gauguin on the Marquesas Islands.

I have a thing for islands and those are pretty remote as islands go and the Marquesas exercised a fatal hold over two very different artists whom I admire immensely.

I would love to trek (walk), europe, through russia, asia then to africa.

Well maybe not walk all the way, but it would be facinating to see how culture changes, not only from one city to the next, but also on a continental level.

On my wishlist a few bike rides.....Norway Bergen to Trondheim by bike if I were fit enough. & Guillin in South China if I could find a guided ride also a bike ride through Cuba.which has a big carnival in June..A place Id like to visit but not by bike is Mexico throughout inc The Copper Canyon

but when I was younger

Bet the years are just racing by Clare. :D

On my list would be:

• Cuba (nearly went last year)
  • South America and the Inca Trail
  • India (for my wife who has always wanted to go - should have got her to join the FF!)
  • Cycle from the Channel coast to the Mediterannean coast - working on that for next summer
  • New Zealand South Island - hoping to go as a seasonal worker in a garden centre when I retire

But for the ultimate I would cycle round the world. Why? I think it is the best way to experience travel, cultures, others way of life, no environmental impact, a real sense of having traveled and to see things most of us simply pass by. You see stuff on a bike that only other cyclists notice.

You did say ultimate den!!

I have two, one is more realistic than the other. Firstly, I would love to go right around America from east to west coast, see loads of cities and national parks. Starting in Canada, down the coast to NY and that, then inland to Chicago again, right across to Seattle, down that coast, then through Texas, then Florida and up again.

BTW have done a lot of that, when I was younger! You're right it is a great trip

I've never been to Cuba.

The architecture; the history of the place; the Ernest Hemmingway connection; the music; the fact that it has got a better literacy rate and health care than the USA. Then just to enjoy that the most powerful nation on earth has been trying to screw this nation into oblivion for the past 50 years.

With apologies to any USA based posters & for the politics.

I'd also quite like to go to Antartica; to see some penguins & go to the South Pole. Ridiculous, I know.

But you did ask.

Book it, fantastic place, very strange with 'Revoloution' banners everywhere and pictures of the rebel leaders on the side of buildings. The people are seriously dirt poor and get ration handouts. However, the government looks after them in other ways, excellent education and health care.

"ultimate" is difficult isn't it.

One place I should go to are the war graves in Burma. My dad was a Japanese prisoner of war on the Burma railway for three and a half years.

One place I would like to go is China. FLB was/is out there and it sounds like a fascinating country.

Paul's biking tour sounds great, but too much like hard work. :lol:

I guess the ultimate for me would be a world cruise where I could see things and places that I otherwise would never see. It aint gonna happen though.

I'm not sure what this says about me but my ultimate destination, no money spared, no time constraints and if I had a lot of patience, would be some of the world's most remote islands. The many nations that make up the few land masses of the world still feel to me as if they are neighbours. However the tiny islands surrounded by thousands of miles of sea are so alien and inaccessible. These people are so isolated, but also increasingly reliant on the rest of the world. I'd love to sit down and chat with these islanders, and see their view of the world.

1)Tristan da Cunha

The most remote settlement on earth, it has a boat visit it once a year from South Africa. Yet 250 people live there. It's a British overseas territory, but I'd never heard of it until I read an article on it.

2)Yap in the pacific ocean.

The concept of stone money is absolutely fascinating.

And finally,

3)Palau

mostly because of the beauty of this.

Archived