BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Manchester Airport to Blackburn via train

I'm coming to England for the first time in five years early November.

Planning to get the train from Manchester Airport to Blackburn. Are there any deals for booking in advance or just turn up and pays yer money.

Is there a website I can go to to purchase tickets in advance? ... Im struggling to work out which sites are legit.

www.thetrainline.com is the one you want. Just go to "plan your journey" or similar and it will show all the options. I've never travelled from the airport to Blackburn so can't comment further.

Acces from the terminal to the station is very easy.

What I'd suggest when you get to the Airport station is to look for a train which is due to stop at either Salford Crescent or Bolton, rather than one which goes into Manchester Piccadilly.

If you get a train which stops at either of those stations, you'll find it much easier changing to the Manchester Victoria - Clitheroe service, which goes through Blackburn, than if you get a train into Piccadilly. That's because if you go into Piccadilly, you'd then have to go across the city centre for the Victoria - Clitheroe train. Because there's only one platform at Salford Crescent, it's less hassle changing there than Bolton.

I've used the train from Manchester Airport to Blackburn many times. The station is an Ok walk with trolley from the Terminals.

Changing at Bolton is a bit of a pain and it was being renovated in April this year which made it worse as the sign posting was poor and I missed my first connection. Services run quite frequently so I've never bothered to book in advance.

FOr the Manchester Airport to Blackburn journey, there is no benefit to buying your ticket in advance because it doesn't offer any discounts. You might as well just get your ticket when you arrive. I agree with the above and change at Salford, no need to be changing platforms then.

What I'd suggest when you get to the Airport station is to look for a train which is due to stop at either Salford Crescent or Bolton, rather than one which goes into Manchester Piccadilly.

If you get a train which stops at either of those stations, you'll find it much easier changing to the Manchester Victoria - Clitheroe service, which goes through Blackburn, than if you get a train into Piccadilly. That's because if you go into Piccadilly, you'd then have to go across the city centre for the Victoria - Clitheroe train. Because there's only one platform at Salford Crescent, it's less hassle changing there than Bolton.

Don't get a train that terminates a Picadilly, but the trains do run through Piccadilly on to Salford Crescent and Bolton. Crescent is easier to change as there is only 2 platforms, but the trains can be packed with commuters depending on what time it is.

Here's another tip.

A single (one way) ticket from Manchester Airport to Blackburn costs #12.30.

However, if you buy a ticket from Manchester Airport to Bromley Cross it will only cost you #3.50.

Bromley Cross is about 10 miles south of Blackburn and on the same railway line, but is the final station in the Greater Manchester transport area so the fares are capped.

You'll then need a seperate ticket from Bromley Cross to Blackburn which will cost #4.70, so overall you'll pay #8.20 and save 33.3%.

You can buy both tickets from the ticket office at Manchester Airport station, and you are totally within your rights to split the ticketing in this way, and do not need to leave or board the train at Bromley Cross.

I must log this for future reference :)

You'd be foolish not to, Brian.

It's the same with a lot of British Rail fares - if you've time to trawl the websites [www.nationalrail.co.uk www.thetrainline.co.uk and www.themaninseat61.com ] and look at breaking the journey into its components, you can save quite a lot of money. [E.g.: I live near Manchester and I'm going to Leicester on the day after we play Swansea at home. I can save quite a bit by booking the Manchester - Sheffield and Sheffield - Leicester legs of the journey as two separate journeys, rather than booking Manchester - Leicester as one journey.]

Archived