BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Media Attitudes

Wolverine

The renaming of St James Park to [edit] Sports Direct Arena [/edit] featured in the national news tonight. Yes, national news.

Aside from highlighting a lack of sports news, another observation was the far from unbiased delivery of the information.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with the Newcastle fans that this is a poor decision and another shot across the bow for tradition and history of English Football. However, the media like to present themselves as unbiased - yet with our club in turmoil the coverage seems to deride the fans who are protesting, rather than providing a balanced view of the situation.

I work with fans of a number of other teams and each I speak to considers the prospect of Kean being offered improved terms, as has been reported, unthinkable.

So, is this another case of media outlets spinning news to influence public perception, or could it be that the likes of Mark Lawrenson are actually correct?

I honestly can't work it out Wolverine. Nearest I can get is that many journos, editors, etc are London based and would happily see unfashionable Northern clubs quietly slide out of the picture whilst the London and other clubs from The Sarf get on.

The renaming of St James Park to [edit] Sports Direct Arena [/edit] featured in the national news tonight. Yes, national news.

Aside from highlighting a lack of sports news, another observation was the far from unbiased delivery of the information.

NUFC despite winning the square root of sweet FA in living memory are obviously deemed a big club and deserving of massive media pandering. God I hate the shallow football media more every day.

BUT

Mike Ashley is a right obnoxious greedy grabbing illegitimate.... suffice to say I'd swap him for our lot in an instant and he could call Ewood Park what the hell he wants.

NUFC despite winning the square root of sweet FA in living memory are obviously deemed a big club and deserving of massive media pandering. God I hate the shallow football media more every day.

BUT

Mike Ashley is a right obnoxious greedy grabbing illegitimate.... suffice to say I'd swap him for our lot in an instant and he could call Ewood Park what the hell he wants.

Ashley, being a nutter IMHO, thinks that NUFC are going to stay where they are in the League table and has renamed the Stadium now to show its on offer with a view to re-selling the naming rights for a nice pay day.

WTF it will be called next is anyones guess

Ashley, being a nutter IMHO, thinks that NUFC are going to stay where they are in the League table and has renamed the Stadium now to show its on offer with a view to re-selling the naming rights for a nice pay day.

WTF it will be called next is anyones guess - and I don't give a ****

For new grounds I dont think it matters so much, especially when the ground sponsor has long standing connections with the club e.g Reebok Stadium.

When tranditional grounds have their historic names replaced by laughable corporate slogans it is plainly wrong. When you actually consider the money raised as well it begs the question, is it worth it? the talk is that the Newcastle deal is worth c.£10m a year when combined with the shirt sponsorship. In reality that pays for the wages of half the reserve team.

Any attempt to change the name of Ewood Park should , and I think would, be met with strong opposition.

Archived