BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Please can the Fans Forum take action? - Personal plea from Sentient

sentient

Steve Kean talking to the Mirror about meeting fans

"I think there has been a lot of suggestion that they would like to know a little bit more about the organisation and the running of the club."

I wonder how that was raised ? It was certainly mentioned in the last forum meeting.

Me and stevie had a little chat. I told him it was unfair of him to keep secrets from his playmates and that honesty was the best policy.

Little darling always does what mummy asks.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

Me and stevie had a little chat. I told him it was unfair of him to keep secrets from his playmates and that honesty was the best policy.

Little darling always does what mummy asks.

Could you ask him to do the decent thing and sling his hook then?

Haven't posted in a while (not much to say,really) - but there is one question nagging in my mind:

Before Venky's we were an unwanted asset of a trust that had ceased to invest in the club some years previously. After some 2 years hawking the club around the bazaars, there were no significant or credible expressions of interest in purchasing the club. Venky's come along and have spent money - not a lot, but more than would otherwise be the case with the Walker Trust and before the "what about the Phil Jones money" questions, he would have gone whoever owned the club.

Now, whilst I certainly have issues with the management of the team, the tactics employed and the lack of quality to play the (admirable) style of football being pursued, I do feel we should be careful not to confuse management issues with ownership issues as, quite frankly, it seems our club is not an attractive ownership proposition and if Venky's feel the protest is no longer worth the hassle, what is the alternative ownership model?

As for Mr. Kean - not quite a dead man walking but, unless there is a dramatic (and seemingly unlikely) turn around in our fortunes on the pitch then the owners have to act this side of Christmas or their asset and our club are doomed to Championship football next season.

Quite how the Fans Forum resigning or Glen continuing to organise his protest campaign fits in with all this, I don't know but I can't imagine it contributing to the sense of togetherness required in times of adversity, although I can understand the frustration. Reading some of the posts on here, I do feel we are losing some sense of perspective.

No, I can't to be honest but I do remember a BRFCS podcast where Kamy was describing how the club was not well organised for transfer market dealings, recognised this and got its act together sacking Kentaro in the process due to their profiteering on the Rochina deal. After that, they brought in the players identified by the manager, suggesting they have backed the manager in the transfer market.

The area of concern for me is the manager's judgement as he has had resources made available to pursue the style of football he wants to play and has seemingly failed to bring in the calibre of player required for this more expansive play as our goals conceded column shows. Both Hughes and Allardyce started by ensuring we didn't concede too often - this does not seem a priority for Kean and I think he is fundamentally wrong in this respect.

I suppose that is what I mean by the difference between ownership and management issues - the owners have backed the manager but the manager has failed to effectively use the resources made available to him - so far!

You can't gloss over the Phil Jones money. With him and Kalinic going we had over 25 million in sales, we spent around half of that- can you explain where Venky's have used their OWN capital on player purchases?

You do understand that once the Jones and Kalinic money is received it becomes Venkys capital, they own the club. They’re not dipping into their own personal wealth I’ll give you that, but the 12m or so spent was Venkys money, they could have pocketed the lot.

Of course Gav, however what did we hear about Venky's putting in '5, maybe 10 million of their own cash each window', now if by by that they meant '5/10 million of money from sold players can be re-spent each window' then there may have been a different reaction!

I might be wrong here - not being an expert on footie finances - but suspect Venky's are subsidising the club's operating losses (low gates, high wages etc.) pending their development of the "brand" in new and emerging markets. This was what the Walkers were doing until they lost interest. If that is the case, then fair play to them but I do wish they were a little more open about their activities if only at summary level - for example, if they made a statement to the effect that "we are subsidising the ongoing losses being incurred by the club and continue to develop the brand in new markets as part of a strategy to make the club more profitable on a sustainable basis. In the meantime, we will continue to support the manager in the transfer market" then that would be nice.

Or maybe they've already said this and I missed it? To be honest, my interest levels have dropped of late due to the fantastic wages, player behaviour in general and the "over the top" importance attached by broadcasters and some supporters to what is ultimately a game that doesn't warrant the level of anger, abuse and vitriol often seen and certainly is not the matter of life and death sometimes portrayed.

Well of course it isn't, but to watch a club you have watched around Europe, spent thousands of pounds on, a hobby you share with friends and family and probably the only thing the town has got going for it, why shouldn't we get upset?

The 'only a game' spiel is something we are going to hear more and more as the club declines.

Archived