BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Australian and New Zealand Supporters Club

As we've got a little more flexibility that Vital (one of the nice things with owning our own servers etc), John's taken us up on the offer to help out. I'll be working with him over the next few days to sort stuff out, but for now, we have a BRANZACS website/blog up and running (but there is no content yet, so it's silly me linking it) and a subsection of the forum at http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php/forum/81-branzacs/

I'll obviously continue to help where I can and if anyone else wants help with this kind of thing for their unofficial supporters group (it doesn't have to be another country, local ones are fine too), the just shout. More than happy to set them up.

We are seeing hard times at the mo, but I love being a Rovers fan. A real community!

All the best BRANZACS

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Wen Y Hu

Nice work, John, and good luck with it.

Just one point - I don't know whether it is a typo or not, but it should be "Australia" rather than "Australian". Otherwise, it would have to be "Australian and New Zealander", which sounds a bit unwieldy, to say the least. It's best to get stuff like that sorted at the outset before you commit to an "official" name.

Also, I think Glenn had a bit of a Freudian moment when referring to you as BRANZACS... BRANZSC is the abbreviated form. Bit of a mouthful after a few pints of Jacob's Creek, mind.

the name is really up for grabs - I've initially suggested Branzac purely because brings in the Digger mentality, as well as uniting Aussies & Kiwis.

However the name is very much up for debate - maybe we can run a poll when we get the sub-forum set up?

Thanks for your best wishes and the support that has been provided by BRFCS and Rovers around the world.

Cheers - John

Nice work, John, and good luck with it.

Just one point - I don't know whether it is a typo or not, but it should be "Australia" rather than "Australian". Otherwise, it would have to be "Australian and New Zealander", which sounds a bit unwieldy, to say the least. It's best to get stuff like that sorted at the outset before you commit to an "official" name.

Also, I think Glenn had a bit of a Freudian moment when referring to you as BRANZACS... BRANZSC is the abbreviated form. Bit of a mouthful after a few pints of Jacob's Creek, mind.

The A in ANZAC stands for Australian rather than Australia. So it could be used similarly?

I have a problem with the use of "ANZAC". That's a sobriquet for those that served as cannon fodder in the first world war. They fought so that we may have, what we have today.

It's how they are known and should not be sullied by supporters of a football club.

If we want to be known , then it should be something along the lines of "Downunder", "Antipodean" or the like.

We could be Blackburn Rovers Antipodean Supporters, or BRAS for short. It will be appropriate if it all goes tits up this season.

BRFCS followed by "Downunder" upsidedown, with the Aussie and Kiwi flags crossed.

I have a problem with the use of "ANZAC". That's a sobriquet for those that served as cannon fodder in the first world war. They fought so that we may have, what we have today.

It's how they are known and should not be sullied by supporters of a football club.

If we want to be known , then it should be something along the lines of "Downunder", "Antipodean" or the like.

We could be Blackburn Rovers Antipodean Supporters, or BRAS for short. It will be appropriate if it all goes tits up this season.

BRFCS followed by "Downunder" upsidedown, with the Aussie and Kiwi flags crossed.

+1

I was pointing out that Australian is used in ANZAC rather Australia.

I expressed similar concern's via email with using the ANZACS found it slightly disrespectful even though I'm not Australian but do live there, tbh can't see anything wrong with Blackburn Rovers Australia & New Zealand Supporters Club bit of a mouthfull but fun to say after a few beers. Other BRANZA Blackburn Rovers Australia & New Zealand Antipodeans does have a ring to it, factual incorrect because its somewhere in the middle of the pacific but close enough :)

Hi everyone,

guys loving all the banter already!!!

please see email chain below.

I've already emailed this direct to a lot of you, but I've also included mail I got direct from Andrew.

If you're not on my email list it's imperative you get your address to me, will be the best way of communicating til we go live

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

just a real quick reply as today is my birthday & I get enough grief for spending time doing this!!!

so far:

•have got email list of approx 35 names together, more coing in every day

•massive help from http://www.blackburn.vitalfootball.co.uk/ & http://www.brfcs.co.uk/ websites

•if not already done so add these sites to your favourites

http://www.brfcs.co.uk/ have very kindly offered to provide us with a sub forum on their website free of charge

•I'm working on getting that launched ASAP

•have got outline of approx 5 pages at present (Rovers Chat, Bios, photos, quick contacts, A League & feedback/suggestions)

•we can add or remove chat as we please - feedback to me what you want

•have a look at the NYC supporters club to get a feel for it

•we can run polls, have images & logos etc etc

•if not already a member of http://www.brfcs.co.uk/then make yourself one

http://www.brfcs.co.uk/has main forums on everything you can thing of, both football and non football - we will be sub to that

•will be a place we can have our own specific chats

•I agree with Andrew that there is still lots we need to agree on such as name etc

•We will be more empowered to do this when we have a good forum to do it through

I've cc'd Glenn Pegden at BRFCS in on this email so he can see the progress that we have made and that we are champing at the bit to go live

I'm also now in touch with NYC rovers to get help during this initial set up period

If anybody wants to volunteer to help then please let me know, especially if anybody has experience with Wordpress.

I'm coming to grips with Wordpress and I'm pleased with progress so far, but always open to assistance!!!

Signing off for now to enjoy rest of my birthday

Cheers - John

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 18 January 2012 16:19, Andrew F wrote:

Hi All

John as done a great job on getting things up and running and seems new people joining everyday , sure everyone else has views on how to move forward, just jot down a couple of mine opened up for discussion

a) Group name - Seems we are still undecided - way forward ? get some suggestions together , compile list by a set date , Everybody votes . Getting the name sorted leads on to the development of facebook sites, blog sites etc although I see there is already a blog on brfcs.com , also logo design (can be done same as voting for group name)

B) Organised or Free style ? What are our intentions to be a group that keeps in touch via the web and chat about all things Rovers, or do we want to become a semi-official Rovers supporters group/club setting up a structure , chairman, secretary etc (regular meetings might be a problem )

Sure there is lots of other stuff people can think of so look forward to the debate

Regards

Andrew

Time for everyone to get doodling to come up with a suggested logo and we'll just have a vote. I'm a fan of the crossed flags as well Dave. How about the Tudor Rose for a bit of nostalgia?

As for the name. Blackburn Rovers Supporters Club Downunder? Blackburn Rovers Antipodean Supporters Club? Blackburn Rovers Supporters Club - Australia & New Zealand? There's three for the poll anyway......

My Brother is a rover in Wellington, so that's enough of an excuse for me to post a suggestion for the name. Just taking it one further than the previous page:

Blackburn Rovers Antipodean Supporters Section

Or

BRASS

(where there's muck eh?)

I'll send your page link on to my polar opposite sibling once you've got your first content up :)

STEP 1) Download Podcast 22

STEP 2) Skip straight to 48 mins 43 seconds

STEP 3) Play the podcast from there - some invaluable information to be heard!

Great podcast as usual, always good for me to hear some detailed Rovers chat from guys who know what their talking about, it's in short supply out here - it's not as easy as it once was for me to get to the Ewood WMC or the Manxman.

Maybe the podcast could be rebranded as a 'virtual taproom'....?

You can introduce yourself to Sydney Rovers (Vic), His parents are Portugese I think.

The Portugese expats have a club in Sydenham.

It might be worthwhile to talk to Bill Elliot as well. He's an expatriate living in the US who runs the Global BRFC Mailing List - BRFC@listserv.indiana.edu - We have exactly 100 members now from all over the world, and we gather on IRC (#BRFC) during all home and away matches, and are usually 4-6 people, but have been as many as 20 once! This is a global group with listers living in Qatar, Singapore, the USA, Sweden, the UK, and all over the place!

We've been a really stable nucleus of people for many years now, gotten to know each other really well, and it would be great to get some new faces in there! Have had meet-ups in Blackburn and everything.

All you have to do is send an email to listserv@listserv.indiana.edu with the subject heading "Subscribe BRFC" if I remember correctly (no quotes). If I'm not mistaken, we already have a couple of Aussies and/or Kiwis subscribed as well.

Just another option if it would be interesting to join up with an already established email list...

Been on there, Dan. It did get a little "heated" with a couple of subscribees, it even might have carried over on to here.

Anyway, their problem became a problem for me (accepting bitching emails) so I gave up.

Maybe it's time to give it another go.

Been on there, Dan. It did get a little "heated" with a couple of subscribees, it even might have carried over on to here.

Anyway, their problem became a problem for me (accepting bitching emails) so I gave up.

Maybe it's time to give it another go.

That's a fair comment but it did blow over, and we all realized we are pretty much one big family, and people get in fights. Sad thing is that it took a few really good contributing members to unsubscribe for people to come to their senses. Sad really...

But anyone is still more than welcome to join :)

Archived