BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] ROVERS MEMORIES

waggy

:rover: was thinking the other night about the great loves of my life and one thing that has been constant in my life has been brfc.from the 1st day i entered ewood in the mid 60,s the rovers have been the love of my life.

seeing us relagated to the 3rd division later that decade was a bad day.

playing football with the greatest rovers keeper ever the day he signed from bourmouth was a great day.

watching us beat plymouth 5-2 in 75 is still my greatest rovers ever game.

standing on the blackburn end the night we got relagated back to the 3rd later that decade was a proud day,100s stood and sung for at least a hour after the game before the manager asked us to leave.

being in the bottom 3 the following season in october under howard kendall and then going on a 30 game unbeaten run? to clinch promotion at bury was a great day

the following season to miss out on promotion on goal difference,goals scored was painful :blush::brfc: ps more to come

I was just thinking as well - I was 12 years old 50 years ago today and on this day I got on a coach full of Burnley fans from Rochdale to Ewood on my own. They were top of the league and riding high, we were mid table ish. I was probably the only Rovers fan on the coach that day. The previous autumn a family friend had taken me to Ewood and although we lost 2-1 I was hooked. Can't remember much about the game other than it was a nice spring day, our No 7 ( Dougie ) ran them ragged and although we were losing 1-0 at half time we took the game to them straight from the halftime whistle. I can see Ian Lawther blasting in a 25 yd daisy cutter to equalise even now although I have no memory of Fred Pickerings winner later on. Great days, beating the enemy 2-1. Even better when we went to the Turf later that season to do the double over them and effectively prevent them winning the championship. Do your worst Venkies, you can't take away my memories.

Not being able to touch the ground at the Victoria Ground, Stoke on our unbeaten run in the late 80's. We lost that day, but the support was crazy, Lord knows how many we took, but I was on the long side of the ground in a paddock, squashed so much I couldn't even raise my hands to celebrate our goal.

I yearn for them days.

My dad said it was like the 50's. just swaying all game long, 12 years old, and feet about a foot off the terrace. If you could bottle that up, you'd mek a bucketful.

Also the conga at 0-2 to t'Rovers and the snowball fight at half time at Leeds Rd, Huddersfield in abaht '85. It was cracking flags in Boomtown when we set off. 4 foot of snow in yawkshire. I've got butterflies just thinking of it.

I'm a later vintage so allowed myself to wallow in memories for a bit today, taking my little lad to see Matt Jansen and the Worthington Cup - his punishment for asking to put up a Man City poster on his bedroom wall earlier in the week. Don't really know why I asked my son if he thought Rovers would win another trophy like the Worthy Cup. The predictable response came, only to be compounded when we got home by his little mate who was lurking round our house waiting for his pal for a kick about: "Matt Jansen - who the heck is he?....What's the Worthington Cup when it's at home?" Too depressed to enlighten him. It took long enough to get it through to my own lad. We were obviously far too happy back then. Indeed, my daughter is testament to that - making her appearance into this world in early December following the end of Feb Cup win. Happy days. Wonder if the birth rate will decrease under Venkys?

Not being able to touch the ground at the Victoria Ground, Stoke on our unbeaten run in the late 80's. We lost that day, but the support was crazy, Lord knows how many we took, but I was on the long side of the ground in a paddock, squashed so much I couldn't even raise my hands to celebrate our goal.

I yearn for them days.

My dad said it was like the 50's. just swaying all game long, 12 years old, and feet about a foot off the terrace. If you could bottle that up, you'd mek a bucketful.

Also the conga at 0-2 to t'Rovers and the snowball fight at half time at Leeds Rd, Huddersfield in abaht '85. It was cracking flags in Boomtown when we set off. 4 foot of snow in yawkshire. I've got butterflies just thinking of it.

Remember the Stoke one well, i was a 6ft tall beanpole of a youth and my feet wer'nt touching the ground at times lol. There was about 6k packed down that side and it was just constant sideways, backwards and forwards. If you put some modern day fans in that they would cry and never go again an i mean adults lol

:rover: constantly missing out in the play-offs in the 80s was painfull

the great day at wembley when we beat charlton

the promotion year under dagliesh and another visit to wembley,

the 1st game at selhurst park in the premiership,i realised we had a superstar at no9.

the title day at anfield was nailbiting.

seeing my son walk out at ewood holding matt jansen hand was a tearful day. :unsure::brfcsmilie:

Archived