BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Major League Baseball 2012 season

I thought I would start this topic because a few of you on here actually follow Major League Baseball. and here are some questions to get things going.

1)Which team do you follow?

Oakland Athletics (A's)

2)How did you come to follow them?

They were the team whose games I went to as a kid, and I was a season ticket holder when I lived in California.

3)What are your expectations for this season?

I just hope the A's can stay in the hunt for a playoff spot into August, but besides that I'm excited to see Cespedes as he looks to be the first player of his ability that the A's have had in some time. Further more I hope the A's can resolve their stadium situation either in Oakland or San Jose and from there spend the kind of money it takes to make the playoffs on a consistent basis.

I thought I would start this topic because a few of you on here actually follow Major League Baseball. and here are some questions to get things going.

The New York Yankees

My mom is a yankees fan and raised me one. I was calling into the radio shows since 6 years on. (Back when Michael Kay and John Sterling were still a team on AM 770; for any locals.)

We will probably finish second in the AL east and take one of the WC spots.

Los Angeles Dodgers

Called Roger, and there is a popular cartoon character in the UK called ''Roger The Dodger''. From the moment I saw the name, I knew I didn't have much of a choice!

Roger-dodger.jpg

I would have said an above .500 season, but if the new owners can splash some cash come trade deadline time then we may be able to sneak the NL West. A 4-1 record is a nice start.

Boston Red Sox

Went to my friends wedding in 2004 in New York. Stopped off in Boston to visit a friend before hand. The Sox wer playing the Yankees whilst there so got caught up in it all and started supporting from there! Did not go down to well when at the wedding as gifts for being best man I got a load of Yankees stuff.......

Who knows with the new man in charge. Hopefully get a Wild Card spot and see from there.....

• 2 weeks later...

Oakland Athletics (A's)

I run the NYC Rovers with CaliRoverNYC and he is a huge A's fan. After watching the film 'Moneyball' I decided that the pain they experience could give me that real 'Blackburn Rovers Supporter' feeling. Also, as Jay and I are about to lose our ability to watch Rovers together each week, I thought that another watchable team was needed.

I just hope the A's can stay in the hunt for a playoff spot into August, but besides that I'm excited to see Cespedes as he looks to be the first player of his ability that the A's have had in some time. Further more I hope the A's can resolve their stadium situation either in Oakland or San Jose and from there spend the kind of money it takes to make the playoffs on a consistent basis.

I don't understand it enough yet so I copied what Jay wrote.

1. Chicago Cubs - got to go last September to both the Cubs and Sox. Wrigley Field was cool and the ground tour I did was really good, just wasn't really able to see a great deal at the game lol

2. No idea how I picked them really - I just used to watch baseball on channel5 on wednesday and sunday nights and just over time decided I liked them. I think I'm just prone to picking disappointing teams!

3. To win it ;) Not started well tho.... :lol:

My interest in baseball isn't as strong as it used to be - a few years ago (when I had more time on my hands obviously) I could name loads and loads of players, positions etc. Now, even though we have much more of it on tv, I just tend to have it on tv without paying any great attention, and I can only name a few such as Chipper Jones (who is my favourite player in the MLB, purely because I think Chipper is one of the most american names ever!)

Happy 100th Birthday to Fenway Park, home of the Boston Red Sox!!!

Now for a win against the Yankees :tu:

Ha, that just reminded me. When I did the stadium tour at Wrigley the fella did the whole 'and this is the oldest remaining sporting stadium in the worrrrrllldd!!!!!!' haha. Of course he meant America :D

I absolutely love North American sports. Hockey is my favourite sport (Buffalo Sabres), but since going to university at VCU, I'm now an avid follower of college basketball (VCU Rams) and college football (Oregon Ducks & Alabama Crimson Tide). I like the NFL and will watch games, but I wouldn't say I followed a particular team. Because I'm such a huge Sabres fan, I like to see the Buffalo Bills to well. I'll watch the NBA if a good game is on and always look out for the Oklahoma City Thunder scores as I went to VCU with their back up point guard, Eric Maynor.

However, I have never been able to get into baseball. I just find the games to last too long and think that a 164 game season is ridiculous. I imagine that a bit like cricket, it's a brilliant game to play, but not to watch. In saying that, I always enough watching baseball highlights on Sports Centre, just so I know who is doing well. I visited the San Francisco Giants stadium a couple of years ago, so I suppose I like to see how they are doing. The one thing I do is that I can't stand the Yankees.

• 1 month later...

LA Angels

I used to follow the Yankees on TV (mostly because they seemed the popular choice) but I went to LA last summer and went to an Angels game and loved it so I adopted them full time!!

Wildcard spot please :D

• 4 months later...

Wow, I did not expect this from my A's. What a contrast in fortunes for my various sports teams. The A's, 49ers, and Quakes are on the upswing. Good thing there is no relegation in the NBA so the Warriors can continue to be the Warriors without fearing the same fate as our Rovers.

Archived