BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Kathleen Ferrier

100 years ago today, Kathleen Ferrier, one of the greatest voices of all time was born in Higher Walton, Lancashire. Always associated with Blackburn, (my mother's family knew her family), Ferrier had a voice and artistry that was instantly recognisable as her's. Tragically struck down by cancer, her achievements in the ten years of her professional career are immortal. Bruno Walter is said to have said that the two greatest artists he had met in his life were Kathleen Ferrier and Gustav Mahler.

Thanks for the reminder.

Yes she had a wonderful voice. She often sang around the area and Ernest Allan, who was the choirmaster at the Methodist Church in Clitheroe, was one of the very first people to encourage her talent. Once my mum was sitting next to her in the choir and I'm the proud possessor of a signed copy of The Messiah.

My mother's was born in 1919 and brought up next door to the Ferriers on Bank Terrace, Higher Walton. She was the youngest of 6 so it's likely my uncles/ aunts would know her very well. Kathleens Father was headmaster at the local school I think.

A unique talent by all accounts and very sad she died so young. I rem there was a fuss kicked up when they made a Kathleen Ferrier memorial garden quite recently. Most thought it was way too humble for a person of her talent and achievement.

Yes her father was a Headmaster in Blackburn and Kathleen's first stage performances were as a pianist at King George's Hall.

My mother's elder sister was apparently best friends with Winifred Ferrier who wrote her sister's biography and was archivist of her sister's papers. An exhibition has opened in Blackburn Museum of Kathleen Ferrier's life:

BLACKBURN: Museum and Art Gallery

Museum Street, Blackburn, BB1 7AJ

Kathleen Ferrier Exhibition

Photographs and items from the Kathleen Ferrier Archive

Open Tuesday to Saturday 12.00pm to 4.45pm

Tel: 01254 667130

There was a house group named after her when I was at Witton Park HS.

I was in Garstang house group.

Me, too! They still had a Ferrier house group in 1990 when I left. If I remember rightly, there was a painting of her somewhere on one of the school walls. You might be able to get hold of this, Philip, as the old school is due to be knocked down this summer to make way for the new building. They might want new stuff in the new place.

My mother's was born in 1919 and brought up next door to the Ferriers on Bank Terrace, Higher Walton. She was the youngest of 6 so it's likely my uncles/ aunts would know her very well. Kathleens Father was headmaster at the local school I think.

A unique talent by all accounts and very sad she died so young. I rem there was a fuss kicked up when they made a Kathleen Ferrier memorial garden quite recently. Most thought it was way too humble for a person of her talent and achievement.

The Ferrier memorial at Higher Walton had flowers on it today which made a lovely change from the usual chavs who frequent it and cover it with litter and sputum.

I wonder what Ferrier would make of the dump this Country has become; and what she would think of that fool Coco Kean?

There were a number of articles about her in the LT this week, especially Wednesday-I think-when there was a 2 day spread.

There are a number of events organised this year as a tribute to her up and down the country.

I understand she still has a huge following around the world.

• Backroom

I'm not familiar with her myself but there's currently a programme on bbc 4 about her

Repeated at 2:55 for those that want to record it

• 4 weeks later...

Archived