BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Football, Racism and British Society Research

I've just started another research project looking at whether Britain is regressing to a less civil state with less social constraint and more casual aggression. The questionnaire has just gone live at http://www.topfan.co.uk and as you’ll see, the questions are very current. Is British society going through what sociologists would refer to as a de-civilising trend? Have your say in the survey and thanks in advance.

Your survey is poor, motivated and skewed. You are steering questions to prove a point or an agenda rather than to conduct a neutral and genuine survey. Whats your game?

I'm suprised board admin lets you get away with it. I trust my fellow BRFC fans have done as I have done and done nowt.

Your survey is poor, motivated and skewed. You are steering questions to prove a point or an agenda rather than to conduct a neutral and genuine survey. Whats your game?

I'm suprised board admin lets you get away with it. I trust my fellow BRFC fans have done as I have done and done nowt.

Each question has a "yes" or " no" answer. Can't get much simpler and un-skewed than that old bean.

Have you got any suggestions on how to improve it?

I felt similarly to Theno (I think). It seemed to me like racism was shoehorned in, and not worthy of the emphasis placed in the thread title.

Any results trying to link it to the breakdown of society will be tenuous, at best, based on that survey.

I felt similarly to Theno (I think). It seemed to me like racism was shoehorned in, and not worthy of the emphasis placed in the thread title.

Any results trying to link it to the breakdown of society will be tenuous, at best, based on that survey.

Nice to see another person with intelligence and perception on this thread Stuart. That makes two four of us now. ;)

I think the picture in the banner shows that the author isn't neutral.

...a recent survey (done on same site) says 50% of all fans have witnessed or experienced a rascist incident at a football match in the past 12 months. Do you think this reflects something happening in wider society?...

Big problems with the research IMO.

Each question has a "yes" or " no" answer. Can't get much simpler and un-skewed than that old bean.

The answers are simple and un-skewed but the questions were leading and have a (for want of a better phrase) "left wing" bias.

If the questions are not written neutrally then how will the answers be analysed?

Of course he hasn't.

If I'd stated that black is black and white is white you two would have argued. Can you not help yourselves? Try to be a bit more mature and hold less of your infantile agenda towards me?

Only just seen this.

Interestingly but I think flawed questionnaire. The statements arguably did not naturally flow to the questions.

Smacks of hidden agenda as far as I am concerned.

Anyway no worries, I'm sure everyone will have spotted the scam and no one will have filled this in.... except of course for Noel Coward and the Town Drunk and we all know that academic chap won't glean anything worthwhile from them don't we?

You have convinced me that the next time I am in Blackburn, I must have a drink with Abbey (in addition to Rog of the Rovers). He'll know where all the good pubs are. :)

Abbey has not commented on this thread Steve. The 'Town Drunk' has. ;)

The town drunk ,aka Abbey, will still be busy awaiting instructions from you on how to answer the questions.Thats unless he is dealing with those nice people from the CSA.

How did you answer Lord Rothernere?

Give it a rest , your showing yourself up.Your supposed to be ignoring me. GET A LIFE or a sponsor.

Good luck with your survey. It's an interesting topic. I thought I'd give some feedback.

The issue I have is the quotes. They don't add anything to questions. They really serve to confuse, or perhaps, lead the responses.

For example question number 5. The big problem here is it could be interpreted as asking respondants to agree or disagree with David Cameron's view of Britain, not whether Britain is, in fact, "broken". Our point of reference as to what "broken" means is shifted from our own idea to our understanding of what David Cameron meant and what he stands for. Therefore answers will be tainted, not only by personal political views of society(to a certain extent this is unavoidable) but also by our interpretation of a hyperbolic statement that was made for political purposes.

Perhaps it would be better to ask respondants about their personal experiences, rather than their interpretations. For example question 4. Rather than asking for thoughts on the results of another survey, ask the origin question on racism again.

Archived