BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ewood Park

Prompted by a comment in the season ticket thread, I wonder if there is any discussion to be had around potential plans for Ewood Park?

The owner's/management's apparent neglect and even seemingly deliberate opposition to fans' opinions, could there be a deliberate reason to try to drive fans away? Both through decision making, direct comments, and the withdrawal from sale of season tickets? And could this trigger a clause somewhere attached to Ewood Park. The ground wouldn't be sustainable with 5-6000 people in it, would it?

It's complete speculation on my part and therefore conspiracy theory territory but is there actually any value in Ewood Park if it were to be sold, e.g. for housing, and a much smaller, less-costly-to-maintain ground suited more for lower league standards and attendances built on the outskirts of town?

Would there be any money to be made out of such a strategy or would the cost of a new build outweigh the value of the land at Ewood?

I don't see that the land Ewood Park is on would be worth much at all. Certainly not for houses. I could be wrong but I live round here and my house price has gone down 10% in last 5 years. Have you seen all those new houses near Hamilton pub? I don't know if any/all have been sold now but they were empty for ages after they were built. Nobody wanted to buy one. Not sure what they could put where Ewood Park is that would make more cash than Ewood Park has the potential to if it is run correctly.

Supermarket?

Who would have thought Kwik Save would be replaced by the des res apartments?

Can't let this happen! A lot of thought needs to go in to the strategy behind this protest now. Rovers are making it quite clear they are not that bothered about people staying away - no prices on season tickets!!!! - so why is this the case? Do you really become a millionaire through mis-management?

On reflection, perhaps I should rephrase the question.

With only 5-6000 fans likely to be at Ewood next season (barring Kean leaving and/or Venkys selling) can the costs of the stadium upkeep, stewarding and policing be sustained? And if not, what are the likely consequences to the future of the stadium?

On reflection, perhaps I should rephrase the question.

With only 5-6000 fans likely to be at Ewood next season (barring Kean leaving and/or Venkys selling) can the costs of the stadium upkeep, stewarding and policing be sustained? And if not, what are the likely consequences to the future of the stadium?

Open less stands, watch the rest fall down.

The land value isn't high enough to justify costs of demolishing and then rebuilding on the plot.

As for the future plans, to begin with they will keep the full stadium open (since they have sold seats in all areas of the ground), and see where it goes from the season afterwards. I honestly cannot see Venkys still being here by that point.

The land value isn't high enough to justify costs of demolishing and then rebuilding on the plot.

As for the future plans, to begin with they will keep the full stadium open (since they have sold seats in all areas of the ground), and see where it goes from the season afterwards. I honestly cannot see Venkys still being here by that point.

If we only get 4-5,000, then I can see them doing that this year. Shut the riverside, move people to the JW and job done.

Cheap, cheap cheap is the motto, isn't it.

Good start for Hong Kong Phooey in his new job. But is it the sinister side of me that thinks it could be a wealth and costly issue.

Just wondering ... if things like toilets, plumbing, kitchen & bar areas, even flipping seating maintainance haven't been undertaken prior to the first game, might HSE & RoSPA maybe be wanting to take a quick shufti around Ewood Park?

Newsham might not have been everyone's favourite but I don't think anyone could accuse him of not being thorough when it came to our safety. Are things going to be safe for the fans now?

Just wondering ... if things like toilets, plumbing, kitchen & bar areas, even flipping seating maintainance haven't been undertaken prior to the first game, might HSE & RoSPA maybe be wanting to take a quick shufti around Ewood Park?

Newsham might not have been everyone's favourite but I don't think anyone could accuse him of not being thorough when it came to our safety. Are things going to be safe for the fans now?

Ewood still needs to hold a valid safety certificate. I presume since John Newsham has left that this will lie with Stuart Caley, at least to begin with.

I am not sure how often they inspect, but years ago I knew someone who worked for Lancs. Council . He told me when Blackpool's ground was in a mess that every time they had high winds they had to close one of the stands and for a few grand they could fix it. But they wouldn't.

On your first point some of the fans coming this season will test the maintenance staff.

On the original point, I imagine that any such plans would be met by fierce opposition from local councils and I can't see them getting any kind of planning approval for a housing estate.

I don't live in Blackburn but I imagine that the need for a large housing development is minimal, unless your looking at council houses, which would require significant cash from the council but again no council members would approve such a scheme which takes away the towns main feature/attraction which brings income to the local businesses on a regular basis.

Archived