BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Swimming

I have 2 goals i would like to achieve in the next year. 1 is to get a drivers licence(i can drive) but just been lazy. The other is to learn to swim.

I have no problem getting into the water, but i always feel that i cant float. My wife can swim, and my son is 3 years old and is learning to swim.

This is something that i would like to do, not only for myself, but also so that i may participate with my son. Do you guys have any tips, and can one learn to swim by teaching yourself, or should i go for some sort of lessons. I dont feel comfortable to learn in front of people, especially if they are able to swim. They might laugh, make fun etc.

Ive been participating in all types of sports since a young age, but swmmimg has never been something i wanted to get into to, mainly because of fear.

I hope to change all that, so any good tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Backroom

He lives in South Africa so visiting the med may be quite pricey

I think the main issue is a psychological one, once you get over the fear of sinking you should be ok - I'm no expert though as I learnt as a kid I can't remember how

I would definitely go for lessons. Your local pool may do adult lessons . I would think lessons will help with the fear factor as you will have the support of a teacher.

Don't worry about people making fun - it's a brave thing you've decided to do . Go for it !! Let us know how you get on

Go to the Med where the water is more salty and therefore you have more buoyancy. You will get your confidence up because you don't start drowning if you stop your swimming strokes.

I wouldn't advise anyone to learn to swim in open water....

Get lessons. Absolutely the best way.

Always thought I was a good swimmer. I had a few coaching sessions last week and became a lot better by using new techniques...

Issy I was very much like you when I was learning to swim because at the age of 15 my swimming instructor in school kicked me into the pool at the deep end with trunks on since then I have been totally petrified then I took swimming lessons about 2 years ago now unfortunately I am absolutely awful doing front stroke but I have perfected the art of breast stroke & back stroke and the best advice I can give you before you go into the water get yourself all loosened up and relaxed just let your body get very relaxed and when you are swimming just let your body glide through the water as if it's natural as if you have been swimming all your life and you should be fine I would recommend taking lessons don't worry about other people there will always be the ignorant few in this world with a full programme of swimming lessons you should be swimming just fine it's a bit like Rhodes 2nd goal on sat didn't panic didn't put his foot through the ball or snatch at it just passed it into the net at the keepers near post was very relaxed when finishing that's all you need when in the water very relaxedand just let yourself glide through the water and you should be fine.

before learning to swim you need to learn to just become comfortable and at ease in the water, just simply doggy paddling and floating about at the side off the pool is prob the best place to start, once you're comfortable with that swimming is just a natural progression and its like ridding a bike(you can ride a bike?) once youre body learns how to do it, it just becomes natural.

To learn to swim you really should start adult lessons but in the mean time here are a few tips.

1 Start of by learning to kick correctly. Swim with floats and concentrate only on you leg kick untill it is good enough to propell you through the water.

2. Learn balance, learn to control your body positioning. Stretch out and practice keeping your body straight so that you don't roll. Introduce your leg kicks after you have improved your balance. Practice star floats and mushroom floats. Use floats or woggles to assist your balance at 1st.

3. Practise push and glides off the wall so you can easily get into the correct position for swimming. Introduce putting face into water and increasing your distance with your leg kicks.

I'd focus on those for now as breathing and arm strokes can complicate things if you try to learn everything at once.

Archived