BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Middlesbrough could have won the cup

Never had a strong teesside accent. My dad went to a very good school on a scholarship and my mam prided herself on speaking well. Despite their both being from working class homes my parents insisted that we spoke well. Still have an accent but do not speak sloppily or make the kind of grammatical errors the head is talking about there. Use dialect words when they are the best words to describe things e.g.nithered,mafted etc but only when talking to people who would understand them. There's a world of difference between poor use of English and an accent or dialect. Married to a southener nowadays and over the years we've both adapted to one another's language.

Using "should of" should be a criminal offense.

I completely dismiss anything written using that mistake (or similar using "could","would" etc). I can't find any excuse for it. It just looks wrong.

As we're on a football board, a VERY common one is using "beat" instead of "beaten".

I completely dismiss anything written using that mistake (or similar using "could","would" etc). I can't find any excuse for it. It just looks wrong.

As we're on a football board, a VERY common one is using "beat" instead of "beaten".

When you start looking there are many words that are used incorrectly, there have been many a discussion in various threads about the state of the written and spoken English language.

So should using the American version of "offense".

No criticism intended as I don't know any Swedish words beyond Ikea.

Ha ha ha what about using 'ize' instead of 'ise'? How about having a generally long, slow and excruciatingly irritating accent, or using the word 'pop' when referring to a soft drink? :)

+1 to that! Care for a fika sometime, Lathund? I work in Gothenburg.

Sure. Maybe even find some pub with Sky some time when Rovers are playing? I won't be very much in Gothenburg over the coming weeks though, so it'll be a while I guess.

So should using the American version of "offense".

No criticism intended as I don't know any Swedish words beyond Ikea.

Which isn't even a word, it's an acronym :) It stands for Ingvar Kamprad Elmtaryd Agunnaryd. Ingvar Kamprad being the name of the founder, while Elmtaryd is the farm he grew up on, and Agunnaryd his nearby hometown.

Smorgasbord (Or Smörgåsbord) and Ombudsman are proper Swedish words, some of the very few we've successfully exported to English. Not counting ones adopted from Norse.

• Backroom

Ha ha ha what about using 'ize' instead of 'ise'? How about having a generally long, slow and excruciatingly irritating accent, or using the word 'pop' when referring to a soft drink? :)

Tbf, pop is a British thing, right back to the 1940's at least. 'ize' is just yanks being idiots.

Which isn't even a word, it's an acronym :) It stands for Ingvar Kamprad Elmtaryd Agunnaryd. Ingvar Kamprad being the name of the founder, while Elmtaryd is the farm he grew up on, and Agunnaryd his nearby hometown.

Just remembered another Swedish word - Abba. Are all Swedish words acronyms ?

It's fortunate that uneducated people have never come up with anything important then isn't it... oh wait, yes they have.

Grammar isn't everything. I understand being annoyed by it but to dismiss an entire statement based on one error is ludicrous and counter-productive.

It's fortunate that uneducated people have never come up with anything important then isn't it... oh wait, yes they have.

Grammar isn't everything. I understand being annoyed by it but to dismiss an entire statement based on one error is ludicrous and counter-productive.

The grammar police are going to on the prowle again

:lol:

How about rice crispies,

they go snap crackle and pop,

or not as the case may be

I am sure there are words in use in your country that would baffle an outsider as they are probably used out of context in certain cases

Sure. Maybe even find some pub with Sky some time when Rovers are playing? I won't be very much in Gothenburg over the coming weeks though, so it'll be a while I guess.

Smorgasbord (Or Smörgåsbord) and Ombudsman are proper Swedish words, some of the very few we've successfully exported to English. Not counting ones adopted from Norse.

Interestingly the dialect words I mentioned earlier, in common usage in north east england when i was a kid are directly descended from old norse as spoken by the vikings who raided our shores and whose genes still linger in many families.

The grammar police are going to on the prowle again

:lol:

How about rice crispies,

they go snap crackle and pop,

or not as the case may be

I am sure there are words in use in your country that would baffle an outsider as they are probably used out of context in certain cases

Very true yoda, I was trying to be light hearted here. In the southern states of the USA if you go to a restaurant, they ask you if you want a coke. They then ask you what kind, i.e. Sprite, Coca-Cola, Orange soda, etc.

Language is extremely interesting because it is so fluid and constantly changing over the course of even short periods of time - origins of certain words or usages have sprung up independently of each other in many cases, it is entertaining to hear different people relate the origin of usage as they know it from around the world, especially with a language as widespread around the world like English.

Lathund, let me know when you might be available, would be fun! My old local pub in Gothenburg has Sky, just a hundred metres or so up the hill from Redbergsplatsen, and they have a half decent burger as well. I think we are playing the next 4 Tuesday evenings in a row, as well as Saturdays, so lots of dates to choose from!

Archived