BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England Decline Must End

neekoy

The FA have loads of money and could easily afford to let one match slide. Footballs all about getting every little advantage you can and minimising the Polish support would be 1% more in favour of England. They posted a profit (not for profit organisation) of 37M in 2011 and it's been going up year on year since.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've no reason to disbelief what you say Maj in relation to the FA finances - that said, why do they host each and every match they can at Wembley as opposed to taking the game round the country (for the benefit of ALL football fans) and that's not to even start mentioning FA Cup semi's, etc

I've no reason to disbelief what you say Maj in relation to the FA finances - that said, why do they host each and every match they can at Wembley as opposed to taking the game round the country (for the benefit of ALL football fans) and that's not to even start mentioning FA Cup semi's, etc

I believe the aim is to make Wembley self-sufficent and that was projected to happen in 2014. I don't think we'll see many matches round the country until that's achieved, which sucks as Wembley is a nightmare travel wise. I know in 2011 they put in 20M to make up the short fall, but still made 37M profit. With all the new TV deals and a max of 2 years on England they keep bumping up the income as the TV deals go crazy.

Maybe so, but tickets have been on sale to England fans (members) for months and they've not shifted. Any England fan who reckons now they can't get a ticket cos they've gone to Poland is lying.

But I'm definitely not buying all this 'the FA were forced into it due to safety fears' bla bla When we played France the FA were actively selling tickets in Paris getting people to come and sit wherever they liked, although I know it was a friendly. Same for Ghana and Holland games. They just want the stadium filling! But it'll give Poland a big boost to have that many there.

There's a whole host of reason why they don't shift, but for this game and this game only I'd have donated the rest to schools, local and national, needy organisations for auction etc...etc...etc...keans to the poles and there should be no more then 1500 there...what a boost for their players to have 18,000 fans at an away game...if there would have been 2000 then they probably couldn't have given two keans about the game, now its their big chance to spoil the party...England screwing itself over like it does time and time again...

England have enough about them to win this game without worrying about away fans. It's football. It should be a priority to get as many fans in as possible to watch the football match as it is a spectacle that many want to watch. If the England fans don't want to turn up then that is their problem.

As an aside, I was looking at some of the teams around the world. If England were to qualify, where would you be happy with them finishing?

You'd expect them to get through the group stage, but then if they were to lose to any of the following teams, it would be no surprise :

Brazil, Spain, Holland, Argentina, Italy, France, Germany or Portugal. Then you have the next tier of Uruguay, Mexico, Sweden, USA and a few others who could all beat England on their day. Do you still there still exists a fan who thinks this tournament will be the one, every time a tournament comes around?

As an aside, I was looking at some of the teams around the world. If England were to qualify, where would you be happy with them finishing?

You'd expect them to get through the group stage, but then if they were to lose to any of the following teams, it would be no surprise :

Brazil, Spain, Holland, Argentina, Italy, France, Germany or Portugal. Then you have the next tier of Uruguay, Mexico, Sweden, USA and a few others who could all beat England on their day. Do you still there still exists a fan who thinks this tournament will be the one, every time a tournament comes around?

Why not. History is full of poor teams winning knockout competitions. Not often the perceived 'best' team wins these things.

The 1st tier you list are better than us, but on our day we are capable of beating them

So why not?? Stranger things have happened

Why not. History is full of poor teams winning knockout competitions. Not often the perceived 'best' team wins these things.

The 1st tier you list are better than us, but on our day we are capable of beating them

No european team has ever won on south american turf and I can't see England being the 1st.

It's certainly possible but I'm talking of people who really believe this will be the one. Used to always be the case when I was younger that half the fans felt this was going to be the one. Such a viewpoint is in the decline but I'm just wondering if such people still exist.

No european team has ever won on south american turf and I can't see England being the 1st.

Nor can I to be honest, but its certainly not impossible.

It's certainly possible but I'm talking of people who really believe this will be the one. Used to always be the case when I was younger that half the fans felt this was going to be the one. Such a viewpoint is in the decline but I'm just wondering if such people still exist.

I think the key words there are when you was younger. I was one of them fans when younger, but slowly and slowy after each tournament as you get older your belief gets eroded. That said my heart will still tell me there is a slim chance even if my head tells me no chance

Nor can I to be honest, but its certainly not impossible.

I think the key words there are when you was younger. I was one of them fans when younger, but slowly and slowy after each tournament as you get older your belief gets eroded. That said my heart will still tell me there is a slim chance even if my head tells me no chance

No. It was people of all ages. Not everyone, but a hell of a lot of hysteria and expectation.

The country needed it. A successful eng team made alot of companies alot of cash. So advertising and press pushed you that way as it was benefitial to many.

Social media has taken away that power to a certain extenet, so the brainwashing it alot less these days.

As a result I think the country as a whole has less expectations

Portugal drew Israel in their qualifiers so Portugal probably will have to go through playoffs again as they did in 2009 for the World Cup and 2011 for the Euro. They are top-tier but they are kind of pushing their luck. Some big team is bound to fall short today or in the playoffs.

I'd have cautious optimism for today's match for England. That Poland team of 1973 was very good and narrowly missed making the final of the 1974 World Cup. Looks like they defeated Brazil to take 3rd. Someone said it should still be 70,000 for England vs. 18,000 for Poland at Wembley.

The country needed it. A successful eng team made alot of companies alot of cash. So advertising and press pushed you that way as it was benefitial to many.

Social media has taken away that power to a certain extenet, so the brainwashing it alot less these days.

As a result I think the country as a whole has less expectations

Why do you feel the country needed it and how it was beneficial?

Everyday in this country you will read we have a chance, we can win it, raising expectations above what is realistic. Then for the players anything less becomes failure and the whole country will be disappointed. It's like setting yourself up to fail. Then this goes on for years, we will win it, we fail to win it, they're branded failures and the whole becomes more negative than at the start. The english press should shoulder some of the blame for englands failings in recent times as they promoted it all and made anything less than 1st, failure. That's serious pressure and pressure that wasn't needed or beneficial IMO.

Why do you feel the country needed it and how it was beneficial?

Everyday in this country you will read we have a chance, we can win it, raising expectations above what is realistic. Then for the players anything less becomes failure and the whole country will be disappointed. It's like setting yourself up to fail. Then this goes on for years, we will win it, we fail to win it, they're branded failures and the whole becomes more negative than at the start. The english press should shoulder some of the blame for englands failings in recent times as they promoted it all and made anything less than 1st, failure. That's serious pressure and pressure that wasn't needed or beneficial IMO.

I meant businesses needed it. Its a huge cash cow if eng do well in many many sectors

You saw the hysteria afrer a succesful olympics. It would be ten fold that if england football ever win a tournament, the country would go crazy

I meant businesses needed it. Its a huge cash cow if eng do well in many many sectors

You saw the hysteria afrer a succesful olympics. It would be ten fold that if england football ever win a tournament, the country would go crazy

In what industry apart from alcohol and pubs does a cash cow form if England win a tournament? People don't suddenly have money.

I've taken what you originally said as the country needed all the expectation and hysteria prior to the competitions Ie papers saying England will win it. I don't disagree winning one would be good for business here but constantly demanding the team must win it to be successful as they do in the press here to me is a self defeating prophecy. Too much pressure on the players and too higher expectations from the fans (caused by the press) to me just increases the chances of failing not winning.

What was the build-up to the olympics like???? England will win it? England are the best?? As I don't really remember much press like that if honest. The england football team shouldn't be placed in the win it or fail bracket, they are not spain/brazil but since the EPL is regarded by most as the best, in turn they expect england to be the best. Even though they know full well that's not the case. The press should keep there traps shut like the Italians did at the last Euro's as it did them no harm at all. IMO this would boost your chances and then you'd have a chance of the success you talk about.

I've taken what you originally said as the country needed all the expectation and hysteria prior to the competitions Ie papers saying England will win it. I don't disagree winning one would be good for business here but constantly demanding the team must win it to be successful as they do in the press here to me is a self defeating prophecy. Too much pressure on the players and too higher expectations from the fans (caused by the press) to me just increases the chances of failing not winning.

What was the build-up to the olympics like???? England will win it? England are the best?? As I don't really remember much press like that if honest. The england football team shouldn't be placed in the win it or fail bracket, they are not spain/brazil but since the EPL is regarded by most as the best, in turn they expect england to be the best. Even though they know full well that's not the case. The press should keep there traps shut like the Italians did at the last Euro's as it did them no harm at all. IMO this would boost your chances and then you'd have a chance of the success you talk about.

That's the exact reasoning why I think there has been a big playing-down of how England will do, what is it in the papers? England can't expect realistically to have a chance until 2022? Something like that.

In what industry apart from alcohol and pubs does a cash cow form if England win a tournament? People don't suddenly have money.

Shirt sales, supermarkets, food etc with bbq's while england play. The longer eng go in a tournament, the more all this increases. Taxi's, all public transport

Kebab shops etc. The list goes on and on. The whole country would stop if england reached a final

That's the exact reasoning why I think there has been a big playing-down of how England will do, what is it in the papers? England can't expect realistically to have a chance until 2022? Something like that.

I don't think anyone should discuss England winning it in public. how can we predict how talent in this country will develop prior to 2022? The EPPP is brand new and untested, will it work, who knows? The talk should be we'll do our best, we aspire to it, but everyone does, but know we'll be doing all we can to ensure we put out the best team possible. You see there are serious downsides to this completely positive environment being created in the UK, reality is not like that. I see it everyday in the current youngsters at uni. They go from medals for finishing last to that's not good enough. They can't cope with negativity and a number of them struggle. Just look at Wilshire, No.1 caught smoking ( not good given he's a PROFESSIONAL), then he spouts england for england and receives more negativity. Next he's in the papers saying he can't cope with the pressure. A couple of negative stories, caused by himself and he's struggling to deal with it all. How is he going to cope with reading everyday England will win the world cup? He hasn't got a chance and he's one of your best hopes currently. Far more thought needs to be given to the mindset created in football, nurture the attributes/traits that will benefit his career long-term. But that's not happening here and if I'm being honest I don't think England will win anything in my life time as they can't see the wood for the trees and believe its all about technique or a lack off. Lack of technique is a learning issue and a personality one as its developed through practice and practice is dictated by personality or the individual. Develop the right traits and the kid will practice all day, don't and he'll play FIFA and his parents will applaud him for it.

The trouble is many dont have englands best interest at heart and there is nothing you can do about that.

I also think people look for that 1 magic issue thats englands problem and think solving that solves it all, but the reality is it isnt 1 thing thats wrong

Its a alot of small issues rather than being that 1 big thing.

Archived