BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England Decline Must End

neekoy

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Making hard work of a poor Poland side, who themselves should've scored a couple by now.

This England side will get torn a new one by the first half-decent side they meet.

That's an accurate assessment. How many genuine world class players can we call on? None?

That's what the foreign invasion of English football has done to us. We are nothing like the team we were in the nineties.

It will be an achievement if we get past the first round.

I remember that Algeria game all too well, after the awe inspiring USA game........not. Been out all day in the heat of the Lakes and rushed (kind of) to make the 2nd half of that game in the Stickle Barn in Langdale, after a shower. I suffered 10 minutes of utter dross before opting to drink outside and get eaten alive by swarms of midgies. :

Yeaah but that won't stop the usual self-delusion, will it?

And why should it? FFP and relegation have taken all the dreaming out of Rovers, why not look forward to a World Cup with a bit of naive hope?

For two weeks the England team stops being London FC and we all get to join in.

Let's not kill any of the joy before we even get there. There'll be plenty of time for that later.

We are there, stop being miserable, plenty of time for that next summer, just enjoy we didn't have to mess about in the play offs

Well said, listening to many it would seem they have no joy in England winning.

You're not having a dig at the Jocks are you ? If they'd have been grouped with Treasure Island, Transylvania and Shangri-la they may have had a chance.

:glare:

Tyrone get your steel helmet and body armour ready, they walk amongst us.

The england set up does, in a strange way almost resemble our own situation. There is a building and unexpected sense of belief all of a sudden. We played some half decent stuff tonight and although nobody expects much in Brazil, it almost feels as if this side might have the makings of a half decent outfit. Its almost certainly because expectations have dropped considerably, but it was almost an enjoyable watch tonight.

And im pleased for Roy too. Nice bloke. Whatever may have happened in the past.

Don't understand this attitude of (I assume) an english person hoping that his country fails.

Because the England squad are generally a bunch of overrated, obnoxious tw@ts, made all the worse by the endless media hype whenever they enter a competition before the inevitable disappointment. They are representative of a corrupt, archaic institute called the English FA, not my country.

Off the topic from England but per qualifying, don't qualify but Armenia was doing poorly, then, away beat Denmark there 4-0, so that one loss messed the Danes up but Armenia also beat Bulgaria and Czech Republic, all above them in their group, Armenia drew Italy today. Interesting story. (should one care to see that: http://int.soccerway.com/international/europe/wc-qualifying-europe/2014-brazil/1st-round/group-b/g4650/ ) So Armenia's little jaunt upset that group's order.

I don't expect Iceland to win but the underdogs have won in those playoffs before. Like exactly when Slovenia upset Russia.

Because the England squad are generally a bunch of overrated, obnoxious tw@ts, made all the worse by the endless media hype whenever they enter a competition before the inevitable disappointment. They are representative of a corrupt, archaic institute called the English FA, not my country.

That's why people like the Olympic athletes, they are a refreshing change and perhaps in some cases even strict amateur athletes. I know some people see it like what you described. This team today seems rather down to earth in comparison to some in the past.

And im pleased for Roy too. Nice bloke. Whatever may have happened in the past.

Hodgson looked very strained and very old last night I thought, prob time for him to call it a day. He's done his job, got us there and elevated himself almost to a national treasure. A humiliating performance in Brazil will destroy all that.

He's steadied the ship since the 'failed foreigner' experiments of the past decade but last night showed me his limitations cos his substitutions were absolutely mystifying.

We're a better team for not having half as much pressure or expectation, that's for sure.

Happy we won. Is anyone else?

Only on this message board!....... is a reasoned argument about the decline of the national team turned into "you want us to lose".

Just like an attack on Venkys meant you wanted Rovers to lose!

Not long ago England was rated in the top 6 or was it top 4? Last time I heard we were rated 17th.

Does that tell you anything or is it more treason to mention it? :blink:

Archived